Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Heart in mouth time
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
nigel207

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4
Heart in mouth time

Well it's that time of year again. We're off to Annecy for three weeks this Friday, and as always I get that severe "I hope the car behaves" feeling! It's an annual torture. Does anyone else get that feeling?

Also, we're staying at Camping La Ravoire at Doussard on the side of Lake Annecy. Has anyone been here and any tips for visits in the area?

Thanks.

Post #111558411th Jun 2013 1:49 pm
John P

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

Yes, my wife and I are off to the Pyrenees for 2 weeks in July/August, and I'm really worried if the car will behave it's self. It's a worry that my main thought of planning our vacation is how do I get recovered home, rather than planning the holiday. Rolling Eyes

I'm taking my laptop and MSV2, but not sure how much help it will be if the engine lets go. Whistle

Cheers
John

Post #111559911th Jun 2013 2:27 pm
nigel207

I know exactly what you mean. Our car still has over a year of extended warranty etc, etc, but it's the inconvenience as much as anything. I think a lot stems from when the alternator gave up the ghost on a two year old Rover 75 that I had, and because of French Bank Holidays (at least one a week it seems) and trying to source a French Valeo made (genuine part alternator) in France seemed impossible, so we were stuck for a week on a site that should have been an overnight stop.

Post #111560811th Jun 2013 2:41 pm
maplecottage

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

John P wrote:
It's a worry that my main thought of planning our vacation is how do I get recovered home

Camping and Carvanning Club - Carefree breakdown insurance. It's like Red Pennant but at 1/2 the price. I got the 2 weeks in the Vendee (July) covered with their deluxe policy for £92.

Thumbs Up

Post #111566411th Jun 2013 4:27 pm
marksimonpowell

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 4

La ravoire is awesome, we stayed there 2 years ago. It has wifi so I hope you pick this up! If you do the paragliding use the company VIP make sure you go to the resteraunt chalet la pricaz on the mountain - awesome view, food to match. Have a safe tow and a great time.

Post #111777415th Jun 2013 6:48 pm
Kingmav66

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Slightly off topic, but do you guys have twin axle caravans? If so, do you have trouble finding sites that will have you? It's just that I've been told that they don't accept twin axle vans on a lot of sites in France Confused Mr. Green

Post #111778515th Jun 2013 7:12 pm
marksimonpowell

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 4

Kingmav it's a bit of an old wives tale to be honest. Check with the site first, but most take them. The French have a less diplomatic approach to our travelling brethren!

Post #111778815th Jun 2013 7:16 pm
Kingmav66

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Thanks MSP Thumbs Up

Post #111779215th Jun 2013 7:24 pm
nigel207

Arrived back home today. Didn't get off to the best of starts, when on the first day I noticed quite a loud clicking noise when negotiating roundabouts. After eliminating the caravan being the problem, we got to La Ravoire (splendid site like you say MSP). I called LR Assist and the car was carted off on the back of a low loader. Two days later I was contacted and told the car was awaiting my collection and they couldn't find any fault. So €100 lighter we set off. At the first roundabout, click, click, click. I'd been told that the garage had taken the car for a half hour test drive (strange that they'd barely put a mile on the odometer!).

The clicking continued, and sounds awful. CV joint somewhere? My wife moved the car when we got home and when turning the noise was apparent, but it seemed to be coming from both sides of the car. It only seems to do it when it's warm too.

Not exactly a perfect holiday! Big Cry

Post #11277466th Jul 2013 8:04 pm
markbrads

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Good to know i'm not the only one worrying Rolling Eyes I'm off to La Rochelle in two weeks then Euro Disney for four days on the way back. I cant wait to tow with her - Disco3, Bailey Ancona GT65, wife, four kids, bikes etc. Like you i've got reservations and i'm crapping myself especially having spent £500.00 on rear brakes etc yesterday, not put off yet!!! I just love my Disco3, I know i couldn't be without it already....

Any pointers please really appreciated, do I need to carry any bits with me apart from a huge wad of cash Big Cry

I've got Euro Breakdown with caravan cover just in case Whistle hopefully wont be needed.

I wish everybody a safe and enjoyable break, I think we should all report back here to see how we all got on.

Mark

Post #112969910th Jul 2013 9:58 pm
grenvillew

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Kingmav66 wrote:
Slightly off topic, but do you guys have twin axle caravans? If so, do you have trouble finding sites that will have you? It's just that I've been told that they don't accept twin axle vans on a lot of sites in France Confused Mr. Green

I've been touring France for many years (motorhome) and I have noticed some sites will not allow tandem axle caravans, while others allow them but charge a punitively high fee for them. There has been the odd report on caravanning forums of some UK sites not allowing them either.
A few French sites will not allow motorhomes with double rear axles either.
Fortunately improvements in caravan chassis on newer caravans allow a large caravan with a single axle, so avoiding that particular problem.

The reasons given by sites that ban them seem to be either 'they're only used by travellers' or 'the sideways scrubbing of the tyres damages the pitches'.

Post #113000111th Jul 2013 4:23 pm
nigel207

Whilst many sites in France have good access, we've been on a number that getting to certain pitches would be a nightmare with a twin axle. The pitch that we had at La Ravoire was splendid, but it was a bit of a sprottle to get in (ours is a large single-axle), and we were glad of the mover. There was no chance of getting it in with the car. So a twin-axle would have been nigh on impossible.

To be honest in all the years we've been going to France I have seen relatively few twin-axle caravans over there.

Post #113004311th Jul 2013 6:19 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >