Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Heated screen wires, misting and glare
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
ijwoo1

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
Heated screen wires, misting and glare

I'm curious if any one else finds the glare produced by the heated screen filament wires distracting ?

I've had other cars with heated screens and it's never bothered me, but at night the glare produced by light from oncoming cars reflecting off the wires in the glass really impacts visibility in my opinion.

I'm beginning to think the effect is made worse by the inside surfaces of the glass. I know BMW use a plastic coating, but in the case of the glass in the D4 I'm not sure if its plastic or some other coating, but in any event glass cleaner doesnt seem to clean it as well as I would expect. The effect is as if the glass is constantly smeary or dirty and no amount of cleaning removes some greasy film.

What also doesnt seem right is how quickly the inside mists up. Another sign the glass is dirty? Immediately after cleaning glass I would expect to get a consistent uniform misting if I breathe on it, but instead I get very distinct patterns of heavy lines and circles appearing.

If you feel like cleaning the inside of the glass and then breathing on it, front windscreen or side windows, I'd be very interested to know what you see.

Post #71656716th Nov 2010 1:15 am
harrim51

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I have a D3 and found it very annoying at first but now don't notice it Thumbs Up

Post #71659516th Nov 2010 8:23 am
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

ijwool, what have you used to clean the glass? Quite often the normal detergent based glass cleaners seem to leave a heavy residue of diesel grease behind (from other vehicles exhausts) . I find that my (admittedly D3) screen only glares when it's contaminated. Very occasionally I invest in a couple of hours Karate Kid training with a bottle of abrasive glass cleaner to really get it clean, then finish off using a solvent to utterly clean the glass.

I use Methylated spirits or isopropyl alcohol. Stateside, I believe you can also use surgical spirits, though in the UK our surgical spirit has other additives that make it useless at cleaning glass, so a test on a rear window may be sensible first.

The circles and lines you are describing are almost certainly the result of the vacuum pads and bumpers used by the auto assembly robots on the production line; they tell me that you have a coating or contamination on the glass that a deep clean with a professional cream glass cleaner followed by a solvent wash may help.

Before going that route though, does anyone know if there's supposed to be an IR reflective coating on D4 windscreens that abrasive/solvent cleansing may affect? It's wise to know these things before Censored happens...
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #71663516th Nov 2010 10:47 am
kernowexpeditionaryforce

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

try some autoglym screenwash booster - really works!

Post #71705316th Nov 2010 10:55 pm
A1GSS

England 

Or the Autoglym screen / glass cleaner. Good stuff. Don't try Windowlene...
 ____
Gone: 10MY L320 RR Sport HSE, Ipanema Sand
Gone: 20MY Jaguar iPace HSE, Silicon Silver
Gone: 17MY RR Evoque SE Tech, Loire Blue
Gone: 08MY Discovery 3 XS, Stornoway Grey
Gone: 07MY FFRR TDV8 Vogue, Stornoway Grey 

Post #71705616th Nov 2010 10:56 pm
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I found the OEM factory fit glass no problem with vision, but had my screen replaced last year and immediately noticed the copy autoglass version more noticeable with the filiments. I immediately refused the job and a OEM one was sourced, no problems now Thumbs Up

Post #71705816th Nov 2010 11:00 pm
DiscoDad

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

FWIW, I still have residue on the inside of my screen from the suction pads after a year!

I must say though, I was expecting it to be on the outside!

Post #71706316th Nov 2010 11:06 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Once you notice the elements you will focus on them. The more you focus on ther road the less you will notice them. Idea
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #71710117th Nov 2010 2:14 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >