DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Heater Matrix Shortcut on LHD?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
scraig

Canada 2008 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Stornoway GreyLR3
Heater Matrix Shortcut on LHD?

Hi guys,

I'm looking for some guidance on the heater matrix (core) short cut to avoid full facia removal. With the glove box removed along with the lower panels, I'm left with a connection between the facia panel and part of the glove box plastics - is this what is cut to allow access? Is once this is cut it can be bent back to allow removal?
The 2008 V8 is different setup from the RRS shortcut in other posts.

Cheers,
 Stewart  
Post #215740729th Jun 2020 6:31 pm
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Did you ever proceed with this?

Post #220265715th Jan 2021 11:20 pm
scraig

No, I haven't yet - I suppose Ill have to do more dismantling before hand as the short cut method doesn't seem o look feasible for the LHD D3. Are you planning to tackle this?
 Stewart  
Post #220366519th Jan 2021 5:19 pm
kajtzu

Yes, I’m planning on doing both the thermostat housing and heater core at the same time as well as flush the system and replace coolant. I was thinking of NOT fCensoredg with the dash but instead go in from the side (see LR forum thread). I thought about using silicone hoses to connect the old pipes and the new core. They should easily withstand the temperature and are rated to 5-6 bar pressure. I have ordered a Nissens core from AF. Being in Canada you can probably get one from there or USA rather than from UK.

I also did some serious investigating on the topic and on the American forums there seem to be people who have successfully done it without dismantling the dash. These might help you:

https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr3-28/o...ore-80850/ (see explanation in 3rd post in that thread)
https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr3-28/c...ide-97885/ (whole thread but particularly post #13)

Hope this helps.

Post #220373619th Jan 2021 9:55 pm
scraig

Thanks Kajtzu,

I too saw a post somewhere on a US forum where the core was replaced without complete facia removal but I got as far as glove box removal along with some facia trim removal to get stuck at a connection as seen in the pictures I posted. Ill have another stab at t sometime.

I have a Nissens core ready for the job which came with new pipes but I think it would be a good idea to use a silicone hoses to make the pipe connections leaving the originals to the fire wall in place. Access to the fire wall connections looks like a PIA and will require more disassembly than shown in the guides.

I did the thermostat housing with the help of this youtube guide which I'm sure you have likely seen:
&ab_channel=HowtoAutomotive

Let me know how it goes!

Stewart
 Stewart  
Post #220390120th Jan 2021 5:56 pm
kajtzu

Assuming DHL manages to deliver me the thermostat I’ll attempt tackle this with a friend over the weekend. The package has been in country for 3 days and they haven’t managed yet to clear it for delivery. Rolling Eyes

I thought I’d take pictures (if I remember) of the weirder stuff since it doesn’t seem to be very well documented anywhere for LHD. If I manage to do this I’ll post a write up. If it goes up in flames, I’ll still post something Laughing

Post #220414521st Jan 2021 6:20 pm
kajtzu

The thermostat is fairly straight forward, I haven’t seen that video but have seen a few others. Don’t think that’ll be a problem. Famous last words, right? Mr. Green Thumbs Up

Post #220414621st Jan 2021 6:22 pm
kajtzu

The thermostat housing might be fairly straight forward in videos but it sure wasn’t that in my vehicle. I posted into another thread the steps but it wasn’t a walk in the park at all.

Anyway, I’ll keep an eye on the temperatures since now I get hot air also from LHD driver’s side simply because we bled air for a long time. We also added quite a lot of coolant, I calculated we took out 4 liters and added 6.5... the car doesn’t leave pink traces anywhere so where the fluid has gone was slightly unclear (except for the crappy plastic in the thermostat housing) Shocked

Post #220479324th Jan 2021 2:00 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >