Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Heating an awning
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
highbayrack

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto LuxorDiscovery 4
Heating an awning

Plan on doing quite a few more weekends in the caravan this winter now that we have it on a seasonal pitch.

Looking at ways to warm a large awning and have just today ordered this
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Royal-Uheat-Radian...gas+heater
So does anyone use a portable gas heaters in the awning, and the obvious questions apart from making sure it has adequate ventilation and the heater is not likely to be knocked over, is there anything else I should be aware of ? I guess being butane freezing is the next question.

Chris
 On a mission to find the perfect Pork Pie. Just Found it (I think)..(Yes I have)
Official product sponsor for "Bloodhound SSC" 1000+ mph world land speed record 

Post #134584022nd Sep 2014 3:38 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

I use a 1Kw/2Kw Electric blow heater

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2000w-Fan-Heater...5af59eed72

got a couple of these and they work great
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #134586222nd Sep 2014 4:04 pm
highbayrack

DD I've already got one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Delonghi-HVF...217969055? and it does take the chill off, but I thought this gas heater at up to 4.2kw would chuck a bit more heat out and it would be quieter. OK gas might be more expensive to run, but this way I can use the fan heater and top it up with the gas if it gets really cold Thumbs Up
 On a mission to find the perfect Pork Pie. Just Found it (I think)..(Yes I have)

Post #134588022nd Sep 2014 4:28 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Our main reason for heating the awning in the winter is at night for the dogs. They get a heat-lamp hung above their beds. They seem to be warmer than me as SWMBO insists it is cold in the 'van when we are sleeping!
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #134589622nd Sep 2014 5:03 pm
Randylover

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

+1 for the thermostat controlled fan heater, been using one for the last few years when the kids are in there and it's Allways toasty

Actually took an oil filled rad one year and used both , but it was too warm

Andy
 05 TDV6,"S" in all colourcoded Zermatt silver,7 seats winter pack HK 6cd stereo,Dual climate,Xenons,

Mods:
Re-Con Engine,De-Tango,Reverse camera,Fog/DRl lights,Aux Battery, perm Aux socket in boot,LED Volt meters in roof panel,Built in tom tom, Strobes fitted in grille, Aux switches for trailer lights fitted in roof panel,Roof Rails,Grille conversion 

Post #134592222nd Sep 2014 5:54 pm
highbayrack

Barn1e wrote:
Our main reason for heating the awning in the winter is at night for the dogs. They get a heat-lamp hung above their beds. They seem to be warmer than me as SWMBO insists it is cold in the 'van when we are sleeping!

Agreed the dogs also need to be kept warm during the cold nights. Ours sleep in their own awning bedroom annex Rolling Eyes and I'd planned to put a thermostatic fan heater or a small oil fired radiator in there for them at night.

Our eldest son (15 ) sleeps in another bedroom annex at the opposite end of the awning, but he's in the Royal Marine Cadets, so therefore he's 'hard' and says he doesn't need anything Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up

Post #134593322nd Sep 2014 6:19 pm
sputnixb51

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Please Please don't use the gas heater in an awning to ventilate it you would need to leave the whole side open, unflued gas appliances within caravans are actually illegal even though they are supposed to have catalytic converters they are creating Co and water,either modify your existing blow air to feed into the awning or use electric fan heaters.Yes butane freezes propane does not but both should only be stored in the appropriate safe locker built into the caravan. I have been a caravan repairer for a long time and I am gas safe registered. I have seen to many near fatalities and lives cut short mostly caused by unflued or poorly flued gas appliances.

Post #134595822nd Sep 2014 6:39 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Use an electric blow heater as you are already paying for the electric. The gas will cost a fortune and as others have said are really dangerous.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #134602822nd Sep 2014 7:48 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
highbayrack

Very valid points made there by sputnixb51 & Russell Thumbs Up which is the very reason I posted this in the first place as I was not totally comfortable in using gas in the awning, although I know quite a few people do.
Naturally I would never do anything to put the family at risk. And actually I've already earlier this evening ordered a couple of extra thermostatic fan heaters as recommended by DD and I've got 3 nearly new oil fired radiators knocking about that I could use for background heat. I ordered the gas heater this morning (on a whim) so think I'll either send it back or take it into the office as an emergency back up as our heating runs off the air con system and it packed up last winter for a week before we could get it fixed.
Thanks again chaps Thumbs Up

Post #134604522nd Sep 2014 8:13 pm
Cellerdweller

England 

Fan heater for us too Thumbs Up my daughter does not like being cold and not had complaints ,my son just says it's too hot Thumbs Up
 You're not afraid of the dark are you ?  
Post #134604822nd Sep 2014 8:18 pm
sputnixb51

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Thumbs Up

Post #134605322nd Sep 2014 8:22 pm
Ken

Log burner Thumbs Up ie frontier stove and a rubber flange

Post #134609522nd Sep 2014 8:53 pm
highbayrack

Rolling with laughter I would if I could Whistle

Post #134610522nd Sep 2014 8:58 pm
Landie71

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

My M&D got me something similar to this https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product...c-fan-heat a couple of Xmas's ago for the garage (different sort of element though). Works really well in our 24ft awning - doesn't need to be on full for long & as it's got a decent sized fan in it, it doesn't make too much noise

Post #134613122nd Sep 2014 9:23 pm
highbayrack

Blimmey with all these electric heaters on the go I'm gona need to errect my own wind turbine and sub-station next to the caravan Rolling with laughter

Post #134614522nd Sep 2014 9:34 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >