Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Heating on the drivers side only (right hand side UK)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Ady-:)

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3
Heating on the drivers side only (right hand side UK)

So I had some heating issues.
The only way I could heat the car was to put the blowers onto face only and then shut down all but the drivers left hand vent. So thats vent 3 if counting left to right.

I read all the posts suggesting it's blend motors. This didn't sit right with me as I could get a diffence in ice cold to luke warm air when raising and lowering selected temperatures. Plus I put a USB camera down the vent and could see blend flaps moving.

So I bought a heater matrix from rimmer bros and went to stripping out the old matrix.

It's a little tricky and you have to remove the radio and plastic surrounding the gear stick. This then gives you just enough flex to pull the plastic next to your left foot out of the way.

I also removed the trim above the pedals and under the steering wheel.

Next and VERY IMPORTANT line the foot well with thick plastic using duct tape to secure it under the heat exchanger. Try to make a bowl or runway so if you have any spills and you will, it can just run out the door and not into your carpet.

This is also a good time to replace the antifreeze, I used 5L of x stream G30 from amazon for £27 and 5L of de ironised water from carpart4less at £2.98 delivered.

If you don't want to dump the antifreeze you can loop out the hoses that disappear behind the bulkhead in the engine bay.

After dumping the water I then removed the pipes from the exchanger. The landrover original will be folded or crimped alloy, just use a flat screwdriver and GENTLY un peel the crimp.

You will now have a small puddle in your footwell if you didn't line it with plastic. I used a small bowl to catch most of it.

Push the pipes up and out of the way, I puppled about an inch into the engine bay to give me some room to slide out the exchanger.

Now you will notice that the dash is in the way, I used some side snips and cut a small pice of plastic out, as this is hidden by the trim so I wasn't to bothered.

Now insert new exchanger and re assemble. Don't forget to replace the radiator hose before you add the antifreeze. And enjoy the heat.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #21113887th Jan 2020 9:02 pm
ostosix

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Ill be doing this next week, my theory is if there isn’t enough heat coming from the matrix the distribution doesn’t work very well

Thankyou for posting

Post #226408826th Nov 2021 8:16 am
ostosix

pipes

Hi there, this is a long shot to the original poster but if anybody else knows then great.

Ive attempted to replace my heater matrix and I noticed that the original (on an MY2005) have two smaller short pipes about 100mm long with connections before the pipes go up to the bulkhead.

I have tried to break into the system at those pipes but have a leaky joint now. I'm not sure the seals are correct. The small clamps are very difficult to install.

If using the long pipes supplied by rimmer bros(like shown by original poster) does the whole dash need to come away for the access or can you get the pipes in and out with the level of strip in this thread.

Thanks in advance

Post #22703842nd Jan 2022 12:35 pm
Ady-:)

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

Hi

I didn't replace the old pipes as they were in good condition. I imagine you could replace them using the above method. It will be a struggle.

Do you actually need to replace the whole pipe or can you use some flexi fipe and jubilee clips to join the old and new pipes?

Also my car is my2009 so may have different pipes.

Post #22704572nd Jan 2022 6:39 pm
ostosix

pipes

Hey up thanks for coming back. Ive got the job done today/tonight. I didn't replace pipes as they were fine and I saw a disco mikey post saying to replace them is FULL DASH OFF job.

My main dilemma was i didn't have enough seals to use new because you only get 2. So i had to reuse two. Ive leak checked them and there is no leaks, not ideal I literally live opposite Rimmer Bros but its not open until Tuesday so i may go back and re do later. Now i've figured the dash strip it'll be a lot faster.

I've got plenty of heat coming through now but it is still slightly hotter on drivers side, I might have a check of the mixing valves.

Top tips for anybody doing this job would be;
1)remove steering wheel(I was doing this anyway), but its well worth the 10 mins to have better access for the dash strip.
2)if it was an old vehicle/less cared about or a work utility truck I would just cut the plastic panel off.
3)When joining the pipes, just nip the half flanges together with pliers to seat them well so those horrible littles are much easier to get fitted. Otherwise the joint is too wide to get them to seat correctly.

Post #22705223rd Jan 2022 1:51 am
davecars

Scotland 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Sorry post removed.
 Discovery 3 SE gone but not forgotten.
Discovery 4 HSE (Mrs S)
Discovery 3 GS project, great, but manual, Gone.
Discovery 4 XS 

Post #231848913th Dec 2022 3:14 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >