Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Heavy Duty Clutch or Not
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
miken

United Kingdom 
Heavy Duty Clutch or Not

I think my Clutch release bearing is on the way out as its started to rumble when the clutch is lightly depressed. Whilst I have it apart will do the Clutch and anything else in there thats needs doing however
1. Is it worth Putting the Heavy Duty Kit (Plate & Bearing) in
2. Does the Duel Mass Flywheel need to be replaced (No record of it ever being done)
3. Does the D3 have the earlier problem with the release arm breaking or was this fixed by 2005

Anything else I should consider if I have to drop the Bell Housing

Rgds Mike

Post #23636956th Mar 2024 3:15 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

The standard clutch (LUK) is more than capable for light to medium use, or even periodic heavy use. If you're using it for regular heavy work you might want to consider LOF.

The dual mass flywheel does need replacing, apart from the level of existing wear but also because you really will not want to be doing this again!!

There is no release arm.

LUK are the OEM supplier and I have fitted a few of them without issue. One thing you should be aware of is bleeding the system afterwards can be trying to put it mildly. So a decent pressure bleeder is an absolute must here! There is a damper located in the hydraulic line from the MC feed pipe which then connects to the flexi and on to the slave connection. You should consider changing this as it will be near impossible afterwards without once again removing the transmission.

Do not fit a cheap clutch, and renew all d/s bolts as you do not want to risk snapping. Remove the XY sensor and clean it, the pilot bearing comes with the new LUK flywheel.
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #23637056th Mar 2024 4:39 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >