Heavy stearing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
chm

South Africa 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4
Heavy stearing

Hi all

I need a sanity check please.

I am experiencing my power steering to be less ... Well powerfull. Whistle The steering feels heavy. It seems like i am always fighting with the steering wheel. This was made worse by some alignment issues, which r now mostly sorted.

This might only be in my head. Sadly i have not had the opprtunity to compare with another d4.

I did however test against my friends Range Rover (big body) which made my d4 feel like a donket cart.

Is the rr steering assist that much better or is there potentially somehing wrong with my d4?

Any thoughts and suggestions will be much appreciated.

Regards
 regards, Carl-Hein  
Post #75063522nd Jan 2011 7:43 am
MartinR

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

Knowing nothing much about how power steering actually works(!), have you checked the fluid levels? Also if you've had alignment issues, are you sure that they are properly fixed? could these also have damaged the tyres?

Post #75065222nd Jan 2011 9:15 am
gshim

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I have intermittent bouts of this myself, it feel like the front tyres are flat sort of heavy and indirect.Then on other occasions it's totally the opposite where you seem to get super assistance and as you turn into a bend the steering goes so light it feel like you've just driven onto ice.
I had this issue for 3 years now had various attempts at sorting it ball joint,track rod ends,alignment new tyres etc but no luck as of yet I'm afraid

Big Cry

Post #75067622nd Jan 2011 11:02 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
TharinduW

United States 2010 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

sometimes I feel that too. but I think its mostly psychological. and you cannot compare with the big RR as it's steering system is different to that of LR4/Sport. RR's steering is much lighter, it has always been like that. I drove my friend's SC RR the other day, and it's steering is much lighter than my Disco4's..

if you can, drive another D4 and yours back to back to compare..

PS - check your front tire pressures. if they are low, the steering will feel marginally heavy.

T
 2010 LR4 V8 HSE
Gone but loved
08 RRS SC | 09 LR2 i6 | 05 Defender Td5 

Post #75996911th Feb 2011 5:53 am
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

I was just about to post a new topic about Heavy Steering when I spotted this one. The wife's D4 is starting to feel as if it has 2 flat front tyres. The steering has a heavy and dead feel to it and this gives a far less sporty or confident driving experience. Needless to say the tyres are all at full pressure (checked and double checked) and there is ample tread remaining and no signs of uneven wear. Makes my RRS feel like a go cart.

Any ideas on what might be up here ? Or maybe I should just trade the wife in for a younger (more sporty) model Whistle
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #76172614th Feb 2011 11:25 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >