DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Help - Engine rev, park brake fault and no PDC
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
gclarke

Northern Ireland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Help - Engine rev, park brake fault and no PDC

folks,

Not sure whats going on here but recently I have discovered the following issue with my June 2008 D3 manual transmission (30K miles).

Generally I dont see this issue too often but in some cases when travelling along say in 3rd or 4th and when I put the foot down say to climb a hill the car would periodically rev for a few seconds with no gain in speed and then come back to normal. I then get a park brake failure light illuminated on the dash. This usually happens around 2K revs.

As a result I also notice that the gear selector display is very slow to update after a gear shift and whats even more annoying is that I loss my rear PDC and reversing lights.

I can usually fix this issue and clear the error by putting the car through the driven sequence ie a few seconds in R then 1,2,3,4,5,6 etc and then ingition on-off 3 times.

As I say I dont get this error if I potter about in the car and keep the revs below 2K but as car is still under warranty I thought Id bring it back to the dealer for a look.

The initial feedback has not been good. The dealer said he didnt have to connect the car to the computer as he knew straight away what the issue was. Apparantly its an issue with the clutch (apologies as I am not mechanically minded) but he siad there might be an issue of the clutch or flywheel getting marked, wear or damage having occurred.
The dealer mentioned that as the car had 30K miles on it that it would be very unlikely that Landrover would stand over this and I would need to sort this out myself. A supposedly big strong car which I dont tow with.

The only help I was getting from the dealer was that they would have to take the gearbox out, on my instruction, and send photos to Landrover for comment. Apparently this could cost me £1,000 Sad

Needless to say Im not impressed and dont know what to do. This is an issue that goodness knows how long has been dormant in the car and the eagerness of the dealer to rip the gearbox out without even connecting car to computer scares me.

This is my 3rd D3 over the past years with every one of them having big issues.

Id be interested to hear if anyone else on the forum has had a similar issue and what they done to resolve it, or if anyone can offer me any other advice.

Garry

Post #76409519th Feb 2011 9:32 pm
pjv

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

garry

pretty much exactly same symptoms i had on my 2 year old 08 GS with just 20K miles. Dealer did clutch/slave cycliner/flywheel replacement under LR warranty without complaint or wriggle. There's a few on here with similair experience. Didn't see replaced parts to examine wear but dealer did suggest clutches can be weak point. Sorry for bad news

pjv

Post #76411119th Feb 2011 9:52 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Trackman

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Garry,

Just to keep you company, I had the nearly the same as you describe a few months ago and also tonight. The revs did not go up but more fluctuated up and down at approx 2000 rev when accelerating.

I did get it checked out on the previous occurrence and it was put down to an electronic glitch and the car has done 1000miles since then. Same problem tonight, I cleared the stored faults ( Transfer box P0820 and P0780 + Park brake U0101) and took the car for a run and using high revs in a high gear and it did not slip or fail.

No idea what the problem is but going to deal with the park brake fault first.

Ian

Post #76412919th Feb 2011 10:15 pm
D4JWW

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

So why did LR change pjv's clutch, Garry try another dealer at least one that would do diagnostic check. Contact customer service!!! Evil or Very Mad
 A few mods... and keeping it all running...Faultmate MSV2
MY09EGR's blanked Thanks Bellautos, BAS 

Post #76415719th Feb 2011 11:01 pm
pjv

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

Does seem a bit odd - my dealers (GS Knutsford) were keen to keep me happy as I made it quite clear that I didn't want the problems to persist/worsen after warranty and they understood this. 30k failure cannot be considered as normal wear and tear on a clutch so give them another cattle prod. Twisted Evil

Good luck

Phil

Post #76422520th Feb 2011 9:22 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
nigel207

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I had very similar symptoms, and it was the clutch and DMF. I had only had the car for about a month (albeit second hand with 45,000 miles on the clock), when I changed down from 6th to 5th to overtake a slower moving lorry. It was as though I'd missed the gear as the revs shot up, and immediately the "Park Brake Fault" warning popped up. I dropped back into Neutral and then into 5th again, and all seemed ok, until I stopped at a junction. With the clutch pedal depressed the revs fluctuated a couple of times before settling at normal idle. I also noticed that the dash display of the gears was very slow to show.

I drove home (over 25 miles) with no sign of clutch slip etc, but the Park Brake Fault, slow gear display, and fluctuating revs every time I stopped. I'd also lost the rear PDC when I got home. I contacted LR Assist, and the chap couldn't find any faults logged, but agreed that there was a problem.

The following morning I drove to the Dealer (15 or so miles) without any problem (except for the above). When I got there, the Service Manager said, "it's the clutch". I was amazed, as I say, there had been no sign of clutch slip (and I had been towing a caravan at the time), but he said "believe me, it's the clutch. We had one in a while ago, and after spending ages on every thing else, not thinking about the clutch, that was the last avenue to explore. It was the clutch".

Fortunately in my case I only contributed £250 towards the £1200 bill, as I'd only had the car a month and told them to take the damned thing back, as it had already had an EGR valve go in that time.

I know that clutches can be a weak spot, but it makes you wonder sometimes what folk do with them to destroy them so early. The DMF fitted to mine was badly worn.

Nigel.

Post #76451420th Feb 2011 7:25 pm
gclarke

Northern Ireland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

In the difficult position now where dealer suspects that it is a clutch problem and is not willing to take clutch out to investigate unless I provide a financial commitment to cover all work if the problem is not a manufacturing defect.

Rang Landrover customer care and they had a chat with the dealer and cannot help me either. They are not willing to provide local dealer with any assistance to investigate what the issue is. Best they can do is suggest to possibly help, due to customer loyality, if clutch is found to be the issue here and the fault is not a manufacturing defect, ie wear and tear.

Over a barrel methinks Sad

Post #76643524th Feb 2011 4:21 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >