Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Tips & Tricks

Help - Need to dry out some wet seats
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Buckingham

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3
Help - Need to dry out some wet seats

I have just transported some hoses in the back of the car which I have now discovered had water in them. I didn't have the mat in the back because I had been using the rear seats. The carpet was soaked and it has gone through to the seats. Anybody know the best way to dry them out? I don't know whether it's best to use heat or fresh air????

Post #8187731st Aug 2006 11:25 pm
d3matt

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I would just mop up what you can with tea towels and kitchen roll, then let the rest try naturally. Leave the windows open when you can to let the moisture out.
 Matt  
Post #8187831st Aug 2006 11:34 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Had to read that twice, after the first time I was shocked that you'd managed to get one horse in the back let alone horses Shocked
 The End  
Post #8188431st Aug 2006 11:42 pm
SN

This is a real world case where my super floppy flexible pond liner would have been perfect!
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #8188531st Aug 2006 11:43 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LeighW
D3 Decade 

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Years ago I got some lambskin seatcovers wet by forgetting the car was parked in the open with rear window about 50 mm open and it poured down.

Initially I used nappies (old; but still great polishing cloths) and pressed the cloth firmly into the seat surface. This absorbed much of the 'wetness'.

Then I finished off with a wet/dry vacuum cleaner and was surprised how much water it removed.

A musty smell was present for a little while but we went for a long drive with the air conditioner on full blast (was summer though) and it dried out reasonably quickly.

HTH, Leigh
 LeighW

The old girl is on her third engine...
* first ran a bearing (design failure in original engine)
* second had a failure of the water outlet on top of the engine (pls check yours) 

Post #818891st Sep 2006 12:31 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Slimer wrote:
Had to read that twice, after the first time I was shocked that you'd managed to get one horse in the back let alone horses Shocked

Me too, was picturing a couple of Shetland ponies in the back, wondered where the hey went! Embarassed

Post #819371st Sep 2006 9:54 am
d3matt

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

LeighW wrote:
Years ago I got some lambskin seatcovers wet by forgetting the car was parked in the open with rear window about 50 mm open and it poured down.
Initially I used nappies (old; but still great polishing cloths) and pressed the cloth firmly into the seat surface. This absorbed much of the 'wetness'.
Then I finished off with a wet/dry vacuum cleaner and was surprised how much water it removed.
A musty smell was present for a little while but we went for a long drive with the air conditioner on full blast (was summer though) and it dried out reasonably quickly. HTH, Leigh

Rolling with laughter Ahhhhh.......I can't hold it in.....too much here to make fun of Aussies and the smell of wet lamb! Sheep Sheep Sheep
 Matt  
Post #820171st Sep 2006 4:39 pm
dylansdad

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

put aircon on maximum for next few days when driving and leave windows open (not doors) .........and pray it doesnt rain else youll get your seats wet Wink
 2004 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi Silver  
Post #820191st Sep 2006 4:41 pm
Pelyma

England 

You can get crystals that remove the moisture from the air (calcium carbonate?) these might help if left in the car when not using it. Apart from that good old towels
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #820211st Sep 2006 4:50 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

You can buy those crystals in caravan and camping shops in a box with a perforated lid. Leave the box in the back and let it suck the moisture out of the air. Inspect regularly because the crystals will eventually turn to liquid - and that could make an even worse mess!
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #820291st Sep 2006 5:52 pm
LeighW
D3 Decade 

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Matt, you are not thinking of another much smaller country that is just to the south east of Australia by any chance? They have more sheep than people and diesel that is dramatically cheaper than unleaded/PULP.

Not that there is any known relationship between diesel price and woolly jumpers.

Leigh
 LeighW

The old girl is on her third engine...
* first ran a bearing (design failure in original engine)
* second had a failure of the water outlet on top of the engine (pls check yours) 

Post #821012nd Sep 2006 1:37 am
Discos_FTW

as others have said - the only real way is to mop up what you can, and leave to dry naturally - probably wouldnt hurt to direct a hairdryer in its general direction.

Also, another good way is to get the kids to sit on them, with towels under their bums - the pressure of sitting may drive out some more water as you drive Very Happy

Post #8886227th Sep 2006 11:05 am
disco

Do you have access to a dehumidifier?

Post #8886327th Sep 2006 11:12 am
JakobVels

Denmark 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Calcium carbonate is too slow - tried it to keep my old 91RR classic dry when not in use. Works good in cellars though where there is no air exchange.

When you are done soaking up what you can with cloths.

Drive with good heat and AC on - this way air will be circulated thru AC to dry and then past heater to be heated. Close windows as you will not benefit from from the dry AC air if windows are open.

Go for a good long ride where you keep the temp in lower twenties (centigrade) to dry out the car. When you stop, keep car closed off to let moisture be taken up by the rest of the fabric in the car (if you open doors/windows fabric will take moisture from the air instead not drying the soaked seats)
Just do another trip tomorrow and i think youre sorted

Cheers
Jakob

Post #8888827th Sep 2006 1:26 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Soak up as much as possible with paper towel, newspaper etc. Then, if possible put a portable dehumidifer in the D3 (it's big enough!), fit the cable through a gap in the window & then seal it up with gaffer tape. Leave it on for a day & it will be dry.
I know of someone who used a dehumidifier after he misjudged the depth of a ford Smile

Post #8895627th Sep 2006 3:51 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >