Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Help with Front & Rear Mudflaps!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
StephenO

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Help with Front & Rear Mudflaps!!

Got my cool new Mud Flaps this week and went to fit them today thinking "half hour job tops"

NOT, screws on the wheel arches are practically welded with rust and they wont budge!!

Anyone got any ideas, I've sprayed WD40 etc but no use??

HELP!!

StephenO Crying or Very sad

Post #6330717th Apr 2010 7:57 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MARKW

United Kingdom 

Did this job myself today. Screws can't be rusted in. Unless someone has tampered with other supplementary bits. The screws go through the plastic arch liner into the blue square plastic blocks. Did you remove the wheels to gain access?
 HONI SOIT QUI MAL Y PENSE

They shall not grow old as those of us left grow old. Age shall not weary them, nor the years condem. At the going down of the sun, and in the morning WE WILL REMEMBER THEM 

Post #6330857th Apr 2010 8:34 pm
StephenO

I know what your saying, I saw the blue clips as I managed to get a couple of them off but the screws themselves are all rusted and there just chewing up as they are so tight.

I didn't take the wheels off as my drive is on a slope and thought they would come off easily with a small screwdriver!

StephenO

Post #6330967th Apr 2010 8:43 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Q86ARR

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Manual Bali BlueDiscovery 4

Cut a groove across the screw heads and then use a flatblade screwdriver.

Post #6331027th Apr 2010 8:54 pm
CG

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

The screw have corroded and the supposed anti rust coating, normally a zinc flake or zinc plate has lost it's top coat passivate/ lurbicant.

the net result is what when in easily at the specified torque will not come as out at the same. the screw head I expect has lost some definition as well so the drive is not as positive.

brute force and or as suggested deepen the drive feature.

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant" 

Post #6331087th Apr 2010 9:09 pm
MARKW

United Kingdom 

I used a socket set with the driver adaptor. THen used pressure from my palm on the head of the ratchet whilst ratcheting.
Cutting a groove in the top of the screw would work as well
 HONI SOIT QUI MAL Y PENSE

They shall not grow old as those of us left grow old. Age shall not weary them, nor the years condem. At the going down of the sun, and in the morning WE WILL REMEMBER THEM 

Post #6331127th Apr 2010 9:16 pm
Navigator

Location: Stay at Home. One of the lives you save could be your own.

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Just did this job with wheels on using 1/4" drive socket set and FOUR different bits, as screws used probably were picked of the floor of the assembly line as no two the same for head or length! They are very tight for 1st 1/4 turn then free and easy.
 A vaccine does not stop you catching a virus, or passing it on, or getting ill from it, really ill. It does reduce the likelyhood of you dying when really, really ill. Stay Alive - KEEP AWAY FROM PEOPLE.  
Post #6331557th Apr 2010 10:08 pm
StephenO

Thanks for all your help guys,

I tried to cut a groove in the screw but the wheel arch was at such an angle I couldnt get it flush. I'll give it another go tomorrow.

Mark/Navigator, did you take any close up photos, the reason I'm asking is that I feel there is a plastic rim that looks like the finishing hasnt been cut off stopping it from pushing hard into the wheel arch?

Not sure if its meant to be there.

Thanks again

StephenO Thumbs Up

Post #6331827th Apr 2010 10:30 pm
Navigator

StephenO wrote:
Mark/Navigator, did you take any close up photos, the reason I'm asking is that I feel there is a plastic rim that looks like the finishing hasnt been cut off stopping it from pushing hard into the wheel arch?

I didn't take any, but I can take some tomorrow of the finished job if that will help you - Biblical downpours permitting.

The screws have a built-in washer underneath the normal head. Is that what you refer to above? It unscrews with the screw as it is part of it. Maybe the friction from this is what makes them so tight? If they were all 8mm head it would be a lot easier.
 A vaccine does not stop you catching a virus, or passing it on, or getting ill from it, really ill. It does reduce the likelyhood of you dying when really, really ill. Stay Alive - KEEP AWAY FROM PEOPLE.  
Post #6331957th Apr 2010 11:28 pm
StephenO

I felt there was a bit of trim that looked like excess plastic on the rear mudflaps on the curve where it meets the wheel arch , maybe once I tighten the screws it'll draw it in.

If you could get some close up shots that would be good as long as its not too much trouble.

As for the weather its meant to be a great weekend.

Cheers

StephenO Thumbs Up

Post #6332098th Apr 2010 12:10 am
Navigator

There is a thin bit of plastic there which sort of squidges up and fills the gap between mud flap and arch. Once done it looks right.

As you are only just down the M74 a bit, come in and look at them for real over weekend.
Post #6332148th Apr 2010 12:30 am
StephenO

Spent a bit of time on them tonight, finally got the screws out, well wouldn't call them screws anymore chewed to Censored, but there out so I'll be getting the mudflaps fitted this weekend.

Thanks for your help.

StephenO Thumbs Up

Post #6336368th Apr 2010 11:52 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >