Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

What should I do with a high mileage D4 ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4
What should I do with a high mileage D4 ?

Our 2009 D4 HSE Ipanema Sand, Alpacca Leather interior has now done 189k miles. We have had the car from new. It's been a trouble free and very enjoyable car that has looked after us very well (hence we have kept her so long). Full LR service history with every stamp in the book and complete set of service invoices. Never bumped and never driven in deep mud. Have been looking to trade in against a 2016 Landmark but being asked for £39k to change (meaning only £7k allowance for my car, which S eems like little money for a lot of car). Ok it's high mileage, but with the full LR service history I would have hoped such mileage would not be such a bad thing. As the current car looks and runs great I am thinking its mad to sell her for a younger car of a slightly lower spec when the price to change is so high. So is £7k the best I can do on this vehicle ? Or should I simply keep her and trust her to run well for many more miles ?
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #189568431st Dec 2017 10:40 am
BAZ8046

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

That’s a lot of money to change, I’d be tempted to keep the old one.
 D4 2016 Landmark, Waitomo Grey.
D3 2005 HSE, Bonatti Grey, now sold but still comes back for servicing.
Defender 2002 Td5 Commercial, had a hard life but slowly being restored.
I only work so I can afford to repair my Land Rovers! 

Post #189568931st Dec 2017 10:52 am
Paul68

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Pmd you

Post #189569131st Dec 2017 10:53 am
sean 471

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Pursuit LE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I would ask the question what are you going to gain for 39k that you don’t already have.

Post #189569231st Dec 2017 10:54 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

And that £39k will depreciate by at least £7k in a year, my thoughts would be keep the old one, after a year it's a free car. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

But if anything does go bang, don't throw money at her, be mindful that £7k is all she's really worth so if the engine goes bang then you'll get a few thousand for her for parts. IMHO once these cars get into single digit thousand figures they are pretty much disposable due to the stupid prices of putting a reliable new engine in them.

Post #189569731st Dec 2017 11:05 am
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Just keep it and invest the £39k in something that will give you a return. That's what I did when the D4 came out. I saw no value in changing to a face lifted version when they performed pretty much the same so I put the money into my pension. I also did it when the D5 came out in Dec 2016- I went to buy one, didn't like it and invested the £70k I had put aside for it. That £70k is now worth £95K. I suspect that the D5 would be worth about £50k now.

You've really got to ask what the £39k is giving you? My old bus is nearly 13 years old and has 217k on the clock and is worth diddly squat. Its used as it was designed to be used, is mechanically looked after and is stupidly reliable. Its does all I need so I'll keep it going until there is a suitable replacement or my needs change.
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #189570931st Dec 2017 11:18 am
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
Re: What should I do with a high mileage D4 ?

Smarticus wrote:
Our 2009 D4 HSE Ipanema Sand, Alpacca Leather interior has now done 189k miles. We have had the car from new. It's been a trouble free and very enjoyable car that has looked after us very well (hence we have kept her so long). Full LR service history with every stamp in the book and complete set of service invoices. Never bumped and never driven in deep mud. Have been looking to trade in against a 2016 Landmark but being asked for £39k to change (meaning only £7k allowance for my car, which S eems like little money for a lot of car). Ok it's high mileage, but with the full LR service history I would have hoped such mileage would not be such a bad thing. As the current car looks and runs great I am thinking its mad to sell her for a younger car of a slightly lower spec when the price to change is so high. So is £7k the best I can do on this vehicle ? Or should I simply keep her and trust her to run well for many more miles ?

If your car is awesome, keep it and drive it like you stole it until the eventual bitter end. Thumbs Up

I learned a few cars back that the “your car will have a better resale value if it has FSH” story is mostly a lie across all vendors. A 4 year old V70 with a lot of options was worth 43% of the original sticker price and it had been treated similarly to yours. Won’t be making that mistake again. I was used to lease (corporate) vehicles which make it so easy to change every three years to a new one I hadn’t realized how depreciation really worked when selling or trading in.

There are people who have done 400000 - 500000 km with D3 TDV6 so it should be achievable. You’re only half way Wink

Post #189571031st Dec 2017 11:20 am
DSL

Ukraine 

Mine got to 267k. Big Cry Big Cry She wanted for nothing, most things done extra or early in the name of preventative maintenance. Short of changing the engine preventatively it's all a big lottery where some win & some loose. Assuming a car will live for ever is not a mistake I will make again, nor will I run a Disco out of warranty. If I can't get a meaningful warranty for the D4 she'll be gone next day. I quite like the look of the Skoda Yeti replacement, whose name I've forgotten already. Whistle

Post #189571631st Dec 2017 11:39 am
kevin-t

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

My Two peneth....Simples Exclamation

You have two options.

1. Sell it.
2. keep it.

Option 1.
Sell it privately, maybe on here Exclamation Ask a couple maybe three k more than been offered.
(however remember to ask yourself the question?)
Would i pay 10k for something of that age with 190k miles upon her???
Make deal with vendor of new car NO P/X save another couple kk's
That could be a five thousand pound saving?

Option 2.
Keep it in the household.
Do you want, need, two motors thats expensive to tax, insure, maintain, etc.etc.

As others have said above, run it into the ground, sell for parts!!
( Do you want, need the hassle of stripping, posting, parts. Parts all over the garage, bodyshell etc.etc.
Garden like steptoes back yard.) I THINK NOT.

Just my thoughts Thumbs Up

Post #189571731st Dec 2017 11:49 am
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

DSL wrote:
Mine got to 267k. Big Cry Big Cry She wanted for nothing, most things done extra or early in the name of preventative maintenance. Short of changing the engine preventatively it's all a big lottery where some win & some loose. Assuming a car will live for ever is not a mistake I will make again, nor will I run a Disco out of warranty. If I can't get a meaningful warranty for the D4 she'll be gone next day. I quite like the look of the Skoda Yeti replacement, whose name I've forgotten already. Whistle

My mom drives a Yeti 1.2 L and seems to be happy. She does think the VAG seats are made for torture and not sitting in. The yeti trunk also fits two mid-sized dogs (collies) easily.

The Kodiaq is a bit larger and looks more like someone forgot to put the four Audi rings in front and Q5 sticker in the back, IMO. I test drove one, didn’t get any big vibes either way from it.

Post #189572731st Dec 2017 12:13 pm
gilmore

England 

Get rid.

I see too many stories on here of engines that are letting go. Then it would be worthless.
cheers
rob
 All opinions expressed in this posting are my own and are not necessarily those of someone who knows what they are talking about.

Land Rover Defender V8, 50th Anniversary Edition
Mercedes ML350CDI
HM Moto CRE300X
Honda CRF250X
1974 Honda CB750K4
1975 Honda CB750K5
Ford Transit Custom (for the bikes) 

Post #189573331st Dec 2017 12:29 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Yes but as long as it lasts more than 6 months, and you get half the value for it (£3.5k) you'd still be better off. Whistle Plus at least the heater would work. Rolling Eyes

Man maths could get a good workout on this. Laughing Laughing

Post #189573631st Dec 2017 12:36 pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 
Re: What should I do with a high mileage D4 ?

Smarticus wrote:
..I am thinking its mad to sell her for a younger car of a slightly lower spec when the price to change is so high. So is £7k the best I can do on this vehicle ? Or should I simply keep her and trust her to run well for many more miles ?

Firstly, the Landmark is a significantly higher spec than your current HSE.

Secondly, while it's tempting to hang on to your current Disco, it's only going to last so long and this could be your last chance to get a near new, top spec D4, that could effectively put the clock back by 7 or so years and probably 150,000 miles. Leave it another 1 or 2 years and you'll be looking at multi owner D4's or, less happily, a D5.

With 1 owner and FSH, with a value of < £10,000, this has to be a relatively easy private sale for usefully more than £7,000.00
 2011 - 2015: 3 x FL2
2015 - 2017: 2 x D4
2017 to date: FFRR SDV8
2023 to date: FL2 as a second car

2021 to date: Hinckley built ‘14 Triumph Trophy 1200
2022 to date: Hinckley built ‘14 Triumph Trophy 1200 & sidecar!
(One of only two known to exist in the world!) 

Post #189573931st Dec 2017 12:50 pm
Splitpin

We have a high spec yeti L&K with every option, it’s been a great trouble free car 👍

It’s coming to the handback or buy it time and I can’t decide!!

Maybe a used D4 would be good but the yeti is so cheap to run

Post #189574131st Dec 2017 12:51 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Red Merle wrote:
With 1 owner and FSH, with a value of < £10,000, this has to be a relatively easy private sale for usefully more than £7,000.00

Paul68 wrote:
Pmd you

^^^^^^^ Might have sold it already!! Laughing Laughing

Post #189574231st Dec 2017 12:53 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >