Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

Hit by a drink driver
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Archeci

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Hit by a drink driver

At approximately half past two this morning we were woken by the sound of loud knocking to be informed our Discovery had been hit by another vehicle.

On venturing outside I was met by four of my colleagues from the local traffic branch, and the road outside my house closed. A black 02 registered Renault Clio was across the carriageway the windscreen was thick frost and could not be seen through. The nearside front wing, (plastic) had shattered and the passenger door was pushed back the passenger side airbags had deployed.

I was dreading what our Discovery looked like. I noticed it had been shunted forwards and onto the pavement. I was expecting total devastion. I ventured round to the drivers side and found the rear wheel arch eye brow had been broken, the fuel flap was popped open and the rear offside wheel appeared buckled pushed about an inch forwards and leaning in slightly. So far there appears to be no body work damage.

Presently waiting for the Discovery to be collected and a loan car to be arranged.

The female driver of the other car was arrested and taken to a police station, she was about two and a half times the drink drive limit. Thankfully she is insured.

Lee
 Tonga Green TDV6 S

Remember laughing or smiling confuses the management. 

Post #73500821st Dec 2010 11:48 am
J@mes

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Genuine question - does the insurance pay out when the driver is drunk?

Does it pay out to the victim but not the insured drink driver?

sorry to hear, could have been worse though I guess! Shame it's at the time when everyone wants their 4x4 though Sad
 2014 D4 XS
2005 D3 SE - Gone 

Post #73501221st Dec 2010 11:52 am
al cope

England 

Is she insured, as she was drunk? Dont some policies become viod if the policy holder has breached certain conditions, like driving whilst drunk.

get all the info you can before committing yourself to repairs/etc. what does your insurer say?

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #73501321st Dec 2010 11:53 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Archeci

The insurance company still pays for any third party claims such as the damage to my car, it may not sort hers which is a write off.

Lee
 Tonga Green TDV6 S

Post #73501621st Dec 2010 11:56 am
Ted Newman

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 4

al cope wrote:
Is she insured, as she was drunk? Dont some policies become viod if the policy holder has breached certain conditions, like driving whilst drunk.

get all the info you can before committing yourself to repairs/etc. what does your insurer say?

Al

Third party remains what ever else the insurers may try and wiggle out of - after all it is the THIRD PARTY bit that is the compulsory section.
 LR Discovery 4 XS pulling an Airstream 532 Caravan also own (since new) a 1996 MGF  
Post #73501921st Dec 2010 11:58 am
al cope

England 

OK fellas

does sound like you got some suspension/possible chassis damage though if the wheel is in the wrong place now.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #73502421st Dec 2010 12:01 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Not the best time of year for that to happen Lee, at least you weren't in the car when it got shunted Thumbs Up

Hope you get it sorted soon, althoiugh I suspect you'll be without the D3 for a month given that Christmas is here already & you may need to be re-jigged. Hopefully the bent/broken components will be easilyu replaced and nothing more structural Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #73502521st Dec 2010 12:04 pm
Archeci

I am really hoping nothing structural and thats its repairable, as you guys have said worst time of year I can see it taking weeks. Just emptied the car getting collected in about an hour and its going to a Land Rover approved repairer still waiting on news of the loan car though.

Lee
 Tonga Green TDV6 S

Post #73504721st Dec 2010 12:30 pm
ad15

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

just hope the loaner is like for like or better,, and not a focus s max,,
 one wife.......livid  
Post #73505321st Dec 2010 12:38 pm
SpiderBaby
D3 Decade 

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Feel for you.....

Mine was hit on Friday from behind - guy driving too close in the snow and not paying attention.

Luckily a low speed shunt and my wheel carrier took the brunt but just had the insurance estimate back from the local LR indie - total bill comes to ~£2000.....

Apparently it's all the little bits that add up like parking sensors etc

Check everything with your insurance company at every step
 I see no ships........  
Post #73505421st Dec 2010 12:39 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. D&D should carry a driving ban for life an 5 year with no parole as a minimum. No excuses or exceptions.

Regarding the loan car issue, I suspect that you will just end up with a standard car. As much as I hate mentioning it, there is a way to get the equivalent car to yours that will be charged to her insurer: That is to pass this over to a claim company.

I personally think they are parasites and a blight on the insurance industry, but I thought that because of the exceptional weather and driving conditions, they might be a route that could give you an equivalent vehicle.

Any way just a thought and not an endorsement.

Post #73505821st Dec 2010 12:40 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Bad luck on that, hope all gets sorted quick. As for the rear wheel, from memory there was a post some while ago about a slight clip of the rear wheel on a curb. This resulted in one of the rear arms being bent and the chassis damaged, the car looked fine but was written off. Some one on here will either remeber the post or be able to locate it, hope yours does not go the same way.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #73505921st Dec 2010 12:40 pm
jamieg7762

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

You should get like for like, all paid for by her insurance company. If the LR repairer, which you are 100% entitled to use, not dodgy repair garage that her insurance company recommends, doesnt have a disco for you to use. Then your insurance company needs to push hers into hiring you either a disco or equivalent (if there is such a thing).

The only thing is they are not obliged to hire you a vehicle with the same spec, i.e. if yours was a HSE, then as long as the hire you a disco (with 7 seats if you need it) then it could be a basic model, they are farfilling thier obligations.

Hope this helps, oh and push your insurance company for a replacement straight away. It shouldn't make a difference that yous may not have been recovered yet, if it isn't road worthy then you need wheels.

Post #73507321st Dec 2010 12:55 pm
Archeci

Thanks for all your comments. The approved repaired have referred me to Swift Prestige Hire who are sorting or at least trying to sort a Discovery, they are bringing a car in the morning but will not be a 4x4 at the moment.

I must confess that I am becoming worried about possible damage to the chassis, and the thought of losing the car.

Lee
 Tonga Green TDV6 S

Post #73514221st Dec 2010 2:30 pm
AVE
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

It will be fine... don't worry. My daughter drove into the back of mine in her KA. Not a mark on mine... they are tough old birds Discos.
 As you slide down the banister of life
may no splinters point your way

Disco XXV
RRS2 Autobiography Dynamic MY16
Discovery Sport HSE Lux MY17

Evoque HSE Dynamic MY16 (Gone)
RRS2 Autobiography Dynamic MY14 (Lovely car but preferred the Disco!)
Disco 3 Tdv6 HSE MY05 (owned for 11 years and now gone)
Range Rover Sport HSE MY11 (Gone)
Freelander2 SE (Gone but the most reliable car we've ever owned)
Disco 2 V8 (Gone) 

Post #73516021st Dec 2010 3:02 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >