Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Hitachi suspension compressor exhaust valve chamber question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
4and3

Canada 2008 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3
Hitachi suspension compressor exhaust valve chamber question

After replacing my air suspension compressor with a hitachi copy, I have been chasing faults with the gallery pressure not decreasing.

Can anyone confirm if it is normal for the exhaust valve chamber with the small spring and rubber piece, to be blackened or is this a sign that something has failed? This was what I found after the compressor had been used for a short time.

I tried to remove the 17mm cap on the old compressor and the head sheared. I did drill through and found the chamber clean. Unfortunately, the drilling destroyed the old valve

The new compressor worked normally briefly and then has got progressively worse, but I had been thinking it was electrical or ECM.

Hoping someone could confirm.

Post #211296015th Jan 2020 5:44 am
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

More likly to be a wiring problem if your still getting errors, or a wonky valve. Did you check for air leaks.?.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #211299815th Jan 2020 10:55 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
4and3

Canada 2008 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

At this stage I think I should go ahead and replace the valve. Given the varied symptoms and not having electrical issues previously it is worth a go.

is there anything to centre the spring inside the valve cap? I have no clear reference point as the old compressor valve sheared trying to remove it. On the new one it does not and it has some slop.

Post #211307215th Jan 2020 3:45 pm
Ruper

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Maya GoldLR3
Same thing on cold mornings

I have I think the same error. I did the IIDTool fault and came up with a fault that said check for blockage. However I went ahead and bought a new valve which I think was an error. When I put the new valve on I noticed that the wire connections had no or the plug locks were broken, I used zip ties to secure the plugs on the valve and my problem went away.
I;d say wiring or plugs as above.
I'm holding onto the old valve as I think its still good in case the new one says its gone.

My problem only showed up when it was cold out, so far its not been down under 40 degres F so I am still hoping it does not come back.
 2005 Land Rover D3, 4.4L V8, Maya Gold Metallic
1966 Scout 800, 196 cu.in.
1975 Scout II, 392 cu.in. 

Post #211322216th Jan 2020 2:36 am
Ruper

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Maya GoldLR3
Still a cold natured B!+ch

Well today the temp dropped down to 28 deg F and my suspension fault was back. I really am stumped now, as I thought firstly it was the valve then the elec plugs loosing contact.
I didn't mention I also installed an exhuast check valve (spring and ball) in the compressor.

Additional info: Today drove from Wilmington to Chesapeake about a 250 mile trip. It was cold in both spots. At the beginning of the trip I got the amber rockin rover, which then turned red with the limit speed warning message. Once I got to work about a 30 minute drive then fault still showed. I pulled out the IIDtool and went thru the calibration routine, measuring all corners in order and adjusting with the tool to the stock values plus 2"/63.5mm. All went well. and when I finished the light briefly went away only to return and go red again after leaving work. Stopped for gas and restarted the vehicle and the fault went away. I suppose since the vehicle had warmed. Later I stopped at a rest area and sure enough even though the truck was only off about 10 minutes the fault returned briefly then went out once I got up to highway speed.

Next Steps? I think I will pull the passenger side (US) side fender cover and take a look at that valve and wiring. It acts like a shorted wire possible ground, however would the wires grow and shrink giving me a fault?
Also I will check the voltage at the reservoir valve and compressor power supply wires and the compressor never turns on when I get this fault.
Anyone have any input at all, cause this is driving me nuts.

Things I have done: Fairly new looking Dunlop Compressor replaced (Assumed) by PO, since its not hitachi.
New Res Valve - no change
Secured the sensor and signal wire plugs in case somehow they were shaking loose.
Rear Drivers side Air strut replaced by Tire Place who screwed up the bag (other side coming soon)
Replaced exhaust ball and spring exhaust check valve, checked for blockages in exhaust lines, checked for debris from dryer desiccant after renewing dryer desiccant.
Updated Suspension software with IIDTool MY07. Hitachi compressor, fault before and after ECU update.
Symptoms: Does not leak down over nite or over 3-4 days of non driving.
Fault: "C1A13-64 (AF)Pressure does not decrease when venting gallery"

Sorry for the long post but I am just about stumped here.
 2005 Land Rover D3, 4.4L V8, Maya Gold Metallic
1966 Scout 800, 196 cu.in.
1975 Scout II, 392 cu.in. 

Post #211470321st Jan 2020 10:02 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >