Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

HK Logic 7 Rumbles and Rattles on 08MY HSE
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Dixie Dean

2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
HK Logic 7 Rumbles and Rattles on 08MY HSE

If I use my mp3 player through my audio system with the Sub set so the bass is up, the dashboard and door covers rattle a lot. Should this happen or am I expecting too much?

Has anyone done anything to their doors and the dash to improve their stiffness, e.g. added any sound deadening materials or anything similar?
 2008 D3 HSE Stornoway Grey with Ebony Leather, towing a Coachman VIP 575  
Post #2675373rd Mar 2008 11:52 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Blimey, what are you playing? Jungle is MASSIVE ? Shocked

Embarassed sorry.

Not had that problem, even when playing Massive Attack "Angel", which is pretty much my standard test for bass resonance issues. That, Laylo Schifrin "theme from Bullitt" for treble and Paul Weller "Wild Wood" for vocals/midrange make up my test tracks when deciding if I like what I'm hearing from a system. Had AC/DC "Back in Black" on at vol30 last night and no resonance issues at all, and I've got the sub set at 1 below max.

I suspect it's going to be a combination of the sampling rate and relatively low MP3 output combined with the amp having to work harder to get the same volume vs. CD that's causing the problem.

Try playing the same track from CD to see if you get the same issues. If you don't, try burning the track to your MP3 player at a higher sample rate. It still may resonate due to the amp working harder and "clipping" as it reaches max output (where an amp reaches max output it will partially cut out, although most amps have "soft" clipping that brings the levels back a little more softly, it can still lead to unpleasant harmonics)

If none of this works then I can recommend "dynamat" to dampen and even eradicate unwanted vibration in your door panels. They are relatively easy to take off (about 10 minues per door, but watch the clips on the underside/interior of the door pulls) and dynamat can be applied in a couple of minutes. I'd be surprised if you need to do that, as the door panels seem to have been built with this eradicating this kind of resonance in mind.

Of course you may just have some loose pens, CD cases and coins kicking around in one of your door bins......

Hope this helps

Al
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #2676044th Mar 2008 10:22 am
heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

Because the sound system is fairly high end (for car systems) , I find mp3's at anything less than max bit rate (320 KB/s) really suck .

Post #2676274th Mar 2008 11:04 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ThatMartinChap

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4

Take a look at this thread as it contains some useful info on how to set-up your system...

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic18240-15.html

I followed the advice from :

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.ph...ght=#36050

and found that my door rattles almost dissapeared completely - the secret is to turn down the bass and allow the subwoofer to do the work.

i still have some minor attles on the most extreme bass tracks but its now relatively rare (compared to before) and I have to have the system pretty Censored loud to get them.

Oh and this is from MP3s at 256kb/s - I am planning to re-rip some of my favourite tunes ast 320kb/s when i get some spare time to compare.
 Also Gone : MY14 D4 SDV6 HSE : Barolo Black + Almond
Sadly Gone : MY08 D3 TDV6 HSE : Stornoway + Alpaca + Privacy + BAS Remap 

Post #2676524th Mar 2008 12:04 pm
Dixie Dean

2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Thanks for all the great advice everyone.

I will take a couple of hours to try the suggested setups against what it is now and to compare the same tracks played on CD and from my mp3 player - although everything I rip is at 320 already.

Where are the subs - I presume one is on the top of the dashboard - is there one in the boot? I have the boot lined with one of those rubber liners to stop any leaks from the water carriers I use when tin tenting damaging the rear carpets.
 2008 D3 HSE Stornoway Grey with Ebony Leather, towing a Coachman VIP 575  
Post #2679114th Mar 2008 8:38 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

The sub is in the lower part of the tailgate on the passenger side. Chances are your liner is vibrating like a goodun!
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #2679124th Mar 2008 8:40 pm
ThatMartinChap

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4

I also have the boot liner - interesting I will also try it without it and see if this resolves the minor rattle that I have left.
 Also Gone : MY14 D4 SDV6 HSE : Barolo Black + Almond
Sadly Gone : MY08 D3 TDV6 HSE : Stornoway + Alpaca + Privacy + BAS Remap 

Post #2681535th Mar 2008 11:35 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >