Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

Honda cbx
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
highlands

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Have 3 bikes at the moment.
I say 'at the moment' - I bought them in 1997, 2000 and 2005 IIRC.

I did have a look at a Mk1 Guzzi LeMans but decided it was a bit rich at £2,800...well, that was a mistake! Sad
 Black 05 TDV6 HSE Auto
Grey 05 TDV6 HSE Auto (Gone)
54 TDV6 SE Man (killed by me Sad

Post #197720424th Aug 2018 10:55 am
Charliecloud

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I'm with Aston - must be an age thing. I still remember getting off my Yamaha 650 XS2 haven ridden home from work on it and having to get my mum to pull my useless gloves off my frozen hands and then rubbing the frost out of my eyebrows. As soon as I got my first car I vowed never to have another bike and didn't for about 12years. Laughing

I have had everything from a old 250 Royal Enfield through to Ducati 888s and some modern Japanese road rockets and they are just for a bit of weekend fun or going done to our caravan when I don't have to cart the dog and kids Very Happy

At one time I considered a Kawa Z1 as they came out when I was a poor trainee and I couldn't afford the price of one. A guy who lived up the street from me had one and took me out on it a few times and I was awe struck. Now I would rather have the new Z900RS as it will be a nicer bike to ride and reliable. In fact in a year or so I might try and snap up a low mileage used one.

Post #197722424th Aug 2018 11:44 am
Discomadness

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Just a note : the photos are off the net for examples as I don’t have pics of my bikes on my phone.

I’ve had a load of bikes over the years, started as a kid with a Honda qr50 then a Yamaha ty80, then had a 1978 Kawasaki kl250 which was a wreck but great for riding around the coal tips behind my parents house

When that died I progressed to a “barn find” Suzuki rm500 which the farmer I knew had from new ridden once in his garage for rounding up the sheep Shocked trust me. He never rounded up any sheep with that monster ! What a bike for a 16yr old lad ! Laughing all my mates had 125’s and 80’s. They hated it ! It used to throw rocks everywhere. Bit dangerous now looking back.

After that I had a gasgas ec400fse I bought brand new when I passed out from my apprenticeship with the MOD road legal bike. Absolutely loved it.

Then all my mates went through the “rice burner” phase and after a go on a Ducati 748 (which I couldn’t afford) I part ex’d The gas gas for a tuned 2001 Suzuki gsxr 750 which was craziness in a bike frame. I sold that after nearly getting hit off it 3 times in one year. Haven’t had one since but would love something like a bmw rg1200 or Africa twin.
 Jarrod

Current : D3 2007 HSE - AKA the lemon
-beanie grille
-detango with led bulbs
-club body off rebuild. TWICE. 

Post #197723224th Aug 2018 11:56 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Ken

Miss my CB1300

Current

K1600GT
R1200R LC

HD Breakout lands in Sept

Post #197723324th Aug 2018 12:05 pm
astonbuilder

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I can't remember all the 'bikes I had but here's a few 'memorable' (for many reasons...) after the KH250;

Honda 250 Superdream (the Apple product of it's day in biking really), physically big too
Honda 400 Superdream and also, now a rare classic, auto version
Kawasaki KH125 - work commuter 'bike - when I gave up riding in the wet/snow/winter
Kawasaki GPz550 - my first 'proper' sports bike that could do 120mph plus on the clock (wearing jeans.....)
Kawasaki GPz900 - would now be a sports tourer really
Honda 650SLR - back to biking weekend toy - lots of low down torque
Suzuki 600 bag of Censored thing
Triumph Trident 900 - brilliant modular 'bike from Bloor
Honda CB1000 'Big One' - ace bike and regret selling
Yamaha TDM850 - actually this is 'my sort of bike' really on reflection of them all
Yamaha TDM900 - ditto
Suzuki RF900 - surprisingly capable 'bike
Kawasaki ZX-9r - nod to my youthful lusted 'bike
Triumph 900 Daytona - wish I'd never sold it
Kawasaki ZZr1100 - tuned with 180bhp or so at rear wheel Shocked - the 'bike I probably did most miles on......ever!
Suzuki 1200 Bandit - an 'all that you need' 'bike
BMW r1200GS - best 'bike in the world?
KTM Superduke 990
Aprilia Tuono V4 - first brand-new 'bike - only managed 670 miles in a year Shocked
Yamaha MT-01 - not old enough for a Harley or any custom and this as close as I'd go - sold to 'show willing' for a house deposit and never found a decent enough one to replace my mint one and prices just keep on rising Big Cry
BMW K1300r - fastest thing I've ever ridden - three figure speeds in blink of an eye - dangerous (life and licence)
Honda XC700 - brilliant concept automatic 'bike - 50bhp just not enough though (although 80mpg+ without even trying)
Pan European 1100 - heavy as a house but eats miles (all 1000 in my ownership Laughing )
Honda Africa Twin

Lots of very tempting 900 naked and middleweights out there now I could easily buy but know I'd never use them as the Mazda MX-5 has been the summer toy of choice mostly now Neutral

Post #197724324th Aug 2018 12:39 pm
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Charliecloud wrote:
^^ I like that Shocked - I hate trikes in general

Adjust them rose tinted glasses and decide if you want a bike to 'ride' or just 'fix' and admire. If it's 'ride' then there are lots of more modern stuff, some of which can be had for reasonable amounts of cash.

Hi

Think with trikes u either like or loath them Whistle

definitely want a bike I can ride , indeed think it’s going to be best to get a modern bike

Do like the trikes that have the VW engines fitted , heard the engines are supposed be to extremely easy to work on and cheap for spares

Plus in reality because of my weaker left leg due to nerve damage I think a trike will be a lot safer and more comfortable

Post #197740224th Aug 2018 8:31 pm
gstuart

astonbuilder wrote:
I lusted after the CBX as a teenager starting out on 'biking; size of the engine and six cylinders being the main criteria over anything important like brakes and handling Laughing

My first (illegal as only 16) 'bike was a Kwak KH 250 triple. They were renown to only run on two cylinders in the wet but mine ran as a 167cc twin about 95% of the time as it was Censored and the centre cylinder was just a rotating weight basically. I go misty-eyed at seeing them again but definitely wouldn't want/ride one again.

Have had, literally, dozens of 'bikes since but I'm not a serious tourer/user or anything (euro trip I used a van and just pottered the 'other end' before bringing it, and many of my mates crashed/broken ones, back in the van again Laughing ) and now if I get a 1000 miles a year on one it's a lot (and given that will likely include at least one 200 mile round trip to see my mum you get the idea of how much I use them).

I'll never ride one in the rain, unless caught by a shower, my days of winter riding as only form of transport ended around circa 1983....) and am now 'accepting' that having the 'bike is just to cling to my youth and it's there for when I want to use it on a rare occasion.

With that in end and 'just having wheels in the garage' I bought this rather than hanging my helmet and leathers up for good;

Click image to enlarge

It looks better in photo than the flesh and I have a few things I want to tinker with over winter; brake overhaul, suspension refurb, re-paint back to original colours, etc.

A decent, depreciation proof, usable and [becoming] classic that can still cut it out on the road when used.

I have no desire or hankering for anything 'proper classic' and anything pre circa-1990 is unlikely to find a space in my garage Thumbs Up

Hi

U make a lot of sense , Thumbs Up

I think being honest to myself a trike will be the best way forward , also the safety of other road users is paramount to me , because of my weaker left leg I don’t want to be in the what IF situation

Wondering if getting one that’s virtually complete , as I want a winter project , wondering if a VW engine would also be the way to go

But alas is all of an unknown to me as I’ve never worked on or owned an air cooled VW engine , req further investigation of costing etc

Thks again Thumbs Up

Post #197740524th Aug 2018 8:42 pm
gstuart

Discomadness wrote:
Just a note : the photos are off the net for examples as I don’t have pics of my bikes on my phone.

I’ve had a load of bikes over the years, started as a kid with a Honda qr50 then a Yamaha ty80, then had a 1978 Kawasaki kl250 which was a wreck but great for riding around the coal tips behind my parents house

When that died I progressed to a “barn find” Suzuki rm500 which the farmer I knew had from new ridden once in his garage for rounding up the sheep Shocked trust me. He never rounded up any sheep with that monster ! What a bike for a 16yr old lad ! Laughing all my mates had 125’s and 80’s. They hated it ! It used to throw rocks everywhere. Bit dangerous now looking back.

After that I had a gasgas ec400fse I bought brand new when I passed out from my apprenticeship with the MOD road legal bike. Absolutely loved it.

Then all my mates went through the “rice burner” phase and after a go on a Ducati 748 (which I couldn’t afford) I part ex’d The gas gas for a tuned 2001 Suzuki gsxr 750 which was craziness in a bike frame. I sold that after nearly getting hit off it 3 times in one year. Haven’t had one since but would love something like a bmw rg1200 or Africa twin.

Nice collection there mate Thumbs Up

Post #197740624th Aug 2018 8:45 pm
gstuart

astonbuilder wrote:
I can't remember all the 'bikes I had but here's a few 'memorable' (for many reasons...) after the KH250;

Honda 250 Superdream (the Apple product of it's day in biking really), physically big too
Honda 400 Superdream and also, now a rare classic, auto version
Kawasaki KH125 - work commuter 'bike - when I gave up riding in the wet/snow/winter
Kawasaki GPz550 - my first 'proper' sports bike that could do 120mph plus on the clock (wearing jeans.....)
Kawasaki GPz900 - would now be a sports tourer really
Honda 650SLR - back to biking weekend toy - lots of low down torque
Suzuki 600 bag of Censored thing
Triumph Trident 900 - brilliant modular 'bike from Bloor
Honda CB1000 'Big One' - ace bike and regret selling
Yamaha TDM850 - actually this is 'my sort of bike' really on reflection of them all
Yamaha TDM900 - ditto
Suzuki RF900 - surprisingly capable 'bike
Kawasaki ZX-9r - nod to my youthful lusted 'bike
Triumph 900 Daytona - wish I'd never sold it
Kawasaki ZZr1100 - tuned with 180bhp or so at rear wheel Shocked - the 'bike I probably did most miles on......ever!
Suzuki 1200 Bandit - an 'all that you need' 'bike
BMW r1200GS - best 'bike in the world?
KTM Superduke 990
Aprilia Tuono V4 - first brand-new 'bike - only managed 670 miles in a year Shocked
Yamaha MT-01 - not old enough for a Harley or any custom and this as close as I'd go - sold to 'show willing' for a house deposit and never found a decent enough one to replace my mint one and prices just keep on rising Big Cry
BMW K1300r - fastest thing I've ever ridden - three figure speeds in blink of an eye - dangerous (life and licence)
Honda XC700 - brilliant concept automatic 'bike - 50bhp just not enough though (although 80mpg+ without even trying)
Pan European 1100 - heavy as a house but eats miles (all 1000 in my ownership Laughing )
Honda Africa Twin

Lots of very tempting 900 naked and middleweights out there now I could easily buy but know I'd never use them as the Mazda MX-5 has been the summer toy of choice mostly now Neutral

Wow , impressive Bow down

Also had the superdreams , preferred the 400n over the 250 ,

Post #197740724th Aug 2018 8:47 pm
gstuart

Ken wrote:
Miss my CB1300

Current

K1600GT
R1200R LC

HD Breakout lands in Sept

Very very nice Thumbs Up

Post #197740824th Aug 2018 8:48 pm
defector

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Was in awe of the CBX and CB900F when they came out and used to drool outside Sports Motorcycles in Manchester.

Have had a Gpz900R quietly appreciating away in the garage for 15 years, need to recon the carbs as they are a bit gummed up.

Gpz550 original Unitrak was a beautiful piece of kit and provided me with great joy.

I'm more a Kawasaki person as i started on an AR80 and went up the capacities from 400, 500, 550 and 900 with a 250 and 400 Superdream in between....oh nearly forgot the CB250RS as well.

Was hooked on bikes since the day i saw a Kawasaki Z1R pilot waste a Porsche 911 from the lights on the A5103 (Princess Road, Manchester) as i was stood on the pavement as a schoolboy. Still remember it to this day.

Post #197746525th Aug 2018 2:22 am
Discomadness

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

gstuart wrote:
Discomadness wrote:

Nice collection there mate Thumbs Up

I didn’t realise it was you ! New avatar mate ?

Yeah 2 of those would be worth some money now ! All those bikes met tragic ends straight after me ! The kl250 wrecked its engine, the rm was crashed at high speed into a monument in the middle of the local common (wtf like) nothing for miles except this concrete monument. Sold the bike to a school teacher thinking head look after it too !

The gasgas also popped its engine.

The Suzuki high sided the owner after me and then nose tailed itself down the dual carriageway !
 Jarrod

Current : D3 2007 HSE - AKA the lemon
-beanie grille
-detango with led bulbs
-club body off rebuild. TWICE. 

Post #197746825th Aug 2018 2:59 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
gstuart

Laughing , I fancied a change of avatar

Sounds like I get the most out of the engines Rolling with laughter

Had my superdream smashed as I was turning right a car undertook me then swearved and cut me up so I ended up in the drivers door

Had to sell my bikes once my daughter was born

Have just been reading this article , where she had ill health, blimey that thing could tow a D3 Whistle

Also seen some wonderful adaptions allowing wheelchair users to ride trikes Thumbs Up

https://www.motorcyclemojo.com/2007/11/trikes-at-any-age/

Last edited by gstuart on 25th Aug 2018 9:42 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #197749625th Aug 2018 9:04 am
gstuart

This looks like a build Fred dibnah would have built Whistle

Post #197750625th Aug 2018 9:41 am
gstuart

defector wrote:
Was in awe of the CBX and CB900F when they came out and used to drool outside Sports Motorcycles in Manchester.

Have had a Gpz900R quietly appreciating away in the garage for 15 years, need to recon the carbs as they are a bit gummed up.

Gpz550 original Unitrak was a beautiful piece of kit and provided me with great joy.

I'm more a Kawasaki person as i started on an AR80 and went up the capacities from 400, 500, 550 and 900 with a 250 and 400 Superdream in between....oh nearly forgot the CB250RS as well.

Was hooked on bikes since the day i saw a Kawasaki Z1R pilot waste a Porsche 911 from the lights on the A5103 (Princess Road, Manchester) as i was stood on the pavement as a schoolboy. Still remember it to this day.

Hi

Those cb900 were really nice , had an awesome deep sound when opened up, never rode one but ur spot on when Honda were bringing out there new models in the 80 s, as a heating boiler apprentice back then they were well out of my reach Whistle

Always managed to get a new Honda brochure and read it on the way to school Thumbs Up

Post #197750825th Aug 2018 9:51 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >