Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Hook-Up tripping problems advice please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Kingmav66

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Is it a circuit-breaker, or an RCD tripping?
Like others have said, if it's a circuit breaker, they're designed to protect against over-current/over-loading the cable. 1st check the size of it, I.e. current rating marked on it, then you can total up your approx load. Total the watts (1kw=1000 watts), then divide that by the volts, it gives you the current used. Eg 2kw/2000w divided by 230volts = 8.7amps Thumbs Up
If it's an RCD, they trip due to a fault to earth, basically if there's an imbalance between live & neutral. These are usually caused by faulty appliances Thumbs Up

Post #137527718th Nov 2014 2:27 am
UNG

United Kingdom 
Re: Hook-Up tripping problems advice please

highbayrack wrote:
We have put our new My14 caravan on a seasonal pitch this year, just by way of a change. But having been caravanning for years I'm always mindful not to overload the system and turn heaters off especially before using a electric kettle, also not being an electrician I'm confused at the problems we are getting this weekend.

The site we are on - all Hook-Up's are 16amp, or so they claim. at the weekend being much colder we had one 2Kw fan heater only on in the awning which kept tripping the power, but not in the van circuit breakers, but at the hook-up point itself. I tried a couple of spare heaters just in case the first one was sensitive or faulty but others were the same result.

While the sockets are 16A rated the MCB could be of a lower rating. On overload an MCB will trip at anything upto 50% more than it's rating so it for an MCB to trip you would need to have a bit more load than the rating on the breaker

highbayrack wrote:
I sat there and watched this trip with no additional load being applied in the van, I.E no one had turned on a kettle or the microwave and as the van is new with all LED lighting and the only thing on in the van was the fridge/freezer, the colour running off 12 volt and the Alde CH running off the gas . The response from the acting site manager was - ah well it will be your heater then - which I doubt Shocked

Caravan sites are notorious for volt drop the further from the supply you get and the more caravans plugged in and loading the system, volt drop will cause the load current to increase there by causing the MCB to trip

highbayrack wrote:
On the other hand, some friends of ours just also moved onto a different part of the site this weekend and walking into their caravan/awning was like going into your local branch of Curry's/PC world they had so much running off the one 16am outlet with no problems I couldn't believe it, and they said the only time theirs tripped out was when they turned on the kettle and forgot everything else was on.

The electrical system installed on the site and the location of the van relative to the mains supply point may be the reason for this

highbayrack wrote:
In fact we've been on our pitch since about June without any problems ourselves and the only thing I can point the finger at which has changed is that a brand new Winnebago 5th wheeler as big as the QE2 and looks like it would need its own sub-station has moved onto the pitch next to ours and is using the same hook-up stand as us, but obviously a different outlet. So could this in any way be part of the problem as I did a couple of weeks back run 2 x fan heaters on 1Kw setting overnight without tripping before this monster moved in ? and why is it not first tripping out our van circuit box which I thought was supposed to always happen in the first place, or could the electrical system in our new van be at fault ?

The Winniebago may be causing some of the problem for the reasons stated previously

highbayrack wrote:
I do plan next weekend to experiment and plug our van into a different hook-up outlet, but because we are quite away from the nearest one ill have to join 2 power cables together to reach before I can test this theory.

Any thoughts appreciated Thumbs Up

Others have mentioned using a clamp ammeter which is a good call but I would also monitor the voltage at the same time to check if a volt drop is the cause

Using 2 hook up cables connected together can cause problems as the resistance of the supply cable to the caravan will then be double and will cause some volt drop. If there is no problem when you test it this way I would be weary of leaving this way as a long term solution as the longer lead length will also have an effect on the caravan earthing

There could be a very simple solution that the MCB on the hook up pillar is faulty and needs replacing as they don't last forever and are regularly "tested" on caravan sites by the users
 "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag'em down to your level. It's cheaper". 

Last edited by UNG on 18th Nov 2014 12:52 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #137543718th Nov 2014 12:49 pm
highbayrack

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto LuxorDiscovery 4

Thanks guys I appreciate all the advice which has given me quite a few things to check and questions to ask when we go this weekend Bow down I'm still of the opinion that the site electrics (or this particular hook up post at least) is what's causing the problem, and I will try and track down a local electrician to run a few covert tests so I can hopefully present facts to the site management Thumbs Up
 On a mission to find the perfect Pork Pie. Just Found it (I think)..(Yes I have)
Official product sponsor for "Bloodhound SSC" 1000+ mph world land speed record 

Post #137543918th Nov 2014 12:52 pm
UNG

United Kingdom 

Pity your 100 or so miles south of me I like faults like this it makes the job interesting at times
 "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag'em down to your level. It's cheaper".  
Post #137544618th Nov 2014 12:58 pm
highbayrack

UNG Big Cry Thumbs Up
 On a mission to find the perfect Pork Pie. Just Found it (I think)..(Yes I have)

Post #137548718th Nov 2014 1:58 pm
Kingmav66

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Where is the site? Thumbs Up

Post #137647120th Nov 2014 10:25 am
highbayrack

It's at place called Stanford on Avon in the grounds of Stanford Hall, which is just literally a couple of miles from where the M1/M6/A14 all join at the Cathorpe Interchange Thumbs Up

Post #137647320th Nov 2014 10:34 am
Ted Newman

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 4

Have you physically switched off the electric at the ALDE control? We had a similar problem and found that just turning on the gas was not enough as the ALDE is an intelligent system and will switch to electric to save gas when running -- so you must go through the control until you come to the ectrics section and reduce from 3 to 2 to 1 to 0 - this switches of the 240 volts heating elements and not the pump.
 LR Discovery 4 XS pulling an Airstream 532 Caravan also own (since new) a 1996 MGF  
Post #137647720th Nov 2014 10:53 am
highbayrack

Ted, Good point Thumbs Up I'm fairly sure we turned it to '0' when we switched over to gas last weekend but I'll certainly double check when we go tomorrow
Thanks.

Post #137663520th Nov 2014 2:53 pm
highbayrack

This should fix it till I can get to the bottom of the real problem - I'll just run one supply to the caravan as normal and this separate one to the heater in the awning from the spare 16amp outlet on the post. Is that a cunning plan or what Whistle

Post #137731221st Nov 2014 6:10 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Not if the site manager sees you doing it and charges you double, why not just plug your electrics in the spare one and try that?
Site electrics have to be checked every year by law and a certificate issued that must be visible to customers and must state the maximum amount in amps that can be drawn along with the voltage.
As for the Winnibago it will have its own silent generator, wether its being used is a different matter.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #137735021st Nov 2014 6:50 pm
highbayrack

Good point, but I've already told the site managers what I might do and they are OK with me doing this as they are also starting to believe that the Winnebago might be the problem Thumbs Up we are going to site in the morning and my first job will be to try our plug in the other spare socket first. I asked the old couple last week if they had an on-board generator and they were not sure if it did or not Rolling Eyes . I know that the importer had to change most of the electrics and some of the appliances (cooker) to a UK spec. A mate lent me the extension cable today and I will only use it as a last resort Thumbs Up

Post #137736221st Nov 2014 7:10 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Split the end of the extension cable into live, earth and neutral and wrap an amp clamp around a conductor?
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #137737721st Nov 2014 7:22 pm
highbayrack

I'll need to check my insurance policies first Rolling with laughter

Post #137740321st Nov 2014 7:46 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Any news on this yet
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #138157230th Nov 2014 4:04 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >