Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Hose Steering Pump To Rack
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
heir4now

Canada 2008 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3
Hose Steering Pump To Rack

Hi all. First post on the forum. Happy to be here!

After performing an oil change over the weekend I noted that the small power steering bracket has broken off. I had hoped that the bracket was replaceable, however I have discovered it is not sold separately. At least from what I can tell. Here is a link to the assembly, https://www.roverparts.com/steering/power-...EP500253G/

The bracket I require is on the far left where the lines u-turn.

everything there is looking a little worn, so I'm not opposed to replacing it with this kit. My question is, how big of a job is this? I assume I would need to replace the power steering fluid afterwards. There are some great online videos covering this, including the one from LR Time. But how would I go about with this job? Is it as simply (lol) as removing the lines, letting the fluid drain out, then filling back up? Just a little concerned on getting air into the system. If there is a resource for this, please point me in that direction. I had a look around but couldn't find much.

Thanks!

Post #23523706th Nov 2023 6:49 pm
jenseneverest

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I changed the rack and pipes a few months back, the fittings on the oil cooler required a special "fuel pipe type collar" tool to remove the old pipe, that involved a lot of swearing and took longer than removing and fitting the rack itself.
The brackets and there rubber mounts are rubbish, and i couldn't find just the brackets / rubber mounts
so i made my own brackets and used rubber insulated "P clips" to secure the pipes to the rack and each other. Much better than original IMO.
You will get air in the system if removing pipes and draining it all.
Just fill it up before starting the engine, once running you will have to add more fluid, i used nearly 1.5 litres from memory.....
Turning it lock to lock several times should get rid of any air trapped in the system.

Post #23523876th Nov 2023 8:30 pm
heir4now

Canada 2008 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Thanks for the response. Since the truck is parked for a while I may just remove the brackets and have something made up, as you mentioned. Yes the lines could be replaced, but at the same time they are fine and have no leaks. Truck has 133k so not all that bad. Good to know about the special tool... just what I need another one, lol. Cheers!

Post #23524907th Nov 2023 6:18 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >