How's best to sell a D3??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 
How's best to sell a D3??

Mods pls move if in wrong place.

Made the decision to down size the fleet and sell Light Bluie but how?? It's a D3 SE just over 5 years old and 69k miles, so is that out of dealer's area? If sale to a dealer how much lower is that cash wise than a private sale? If private sale how do you guarantee payment, too many stories of cheques clearing then bouncing much later. Is it In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash? Questions, questions?

How do other sellers manage?? Question

Post #7563774th Feb 2011 12:28 pm
AWD man

England 

ebay is still the best way of getting your car "noticed"..which in turn eventually finds the right buyer.

Payment for mine was done by bank transfer 3 days before. You can use paypal but remember charges and also validation requirements on your account.
 57 RRS TDV8
BAS Map
D3: Gone but not forgotten 

Post #7563904th Feb 2011 12:51 pm
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Sold my Disco 3 on AutoTrader for a fair price within 2 days.

Insisted on cash, and went to the bank with the purchaser whilst I paid it in.

Also took photographs of the purchaser & the car in which he arrived with his friend driving.

Can't be too careful.

NJSS
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #7563944th Feb 2011 1:00 pm
discoteca

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

NJSS wrote:
Sold my Disco 3 on AutoTrader for a fair price within 2 days.
Insisted on cash, and went to the bank with the purchaser whilst I paid it in.
Also took photographs of the purchaser & the car in which he arrived with his friend driving.
Can't be too careful.
NJSS

True but.....
most buyers now will not pay cash for a reasonably expensive car because (as we know from a forum member) their HPI guarantee is useless if paid cash and it later turns out to be ringed/stolen/write off. So buyers don't want to pay cash, sellers only want to accept cash; what to do - the age old quandry of selling privately.

Contrary to belief it is very hard to 'stop' a bankers draft and the majority of banks will not even contemplate it (although some will but make it very difficult to do). The funds must be present when the draft is prepared and the funds are transfered into the bank's account at the time the draft is prepared so it cannot 'bounce' when cashed if it is genuine due to lack of funds (unless the bank goes bust of course).

There are a huge number of forged bankers drafts in circulation which obviously banks will not honour and you wouldn't find out until after your car was long gone.

This is what I do if I am going to accept a bankers draft:
1) take a copy of the bank details of the account that the buyer is going to use to have the draft prepared from - this could be as simple as taking the details off their bank card - this gives you some tie back through the bank to the individual.
2) go to the bank with the buyer in the car you have sold, stand at the counter with them when they request the draft make sure they use the account details obtained above to prepare the draft from, then get the cashier to hand the draft directly to you. Don't let them touch/hold the draft at any point.
3) give them the keys whilst still in the bank (and hence undoubtedly on cctv), walk back to the car with them, shake hands, then hand over the paperwork, let them go on their way. OK you have to get a taxi home via your own bank to deposit the draft but such is life.

i.e. never accept a bankers draft from someone who walks through your front door with it in their hand!

I have found this to be the safest way to do it if you can't find any other way that is acceptable to both parties. If the buyer is genuine they won't mind a bit of inconvenience to guarantee their HPI check and give a little security to both parties that neither is going to get fiddled in the deal.

Note that forged drafts they are rarely for the exact agreed value of the car becuase they are prepared in advance and sold on the black market. I.e. car sells for £16,500 buyer says oh I have a bankers draft for £16k already so I'll make up the difference with £500 cash; seller walk away. Of course that shouldn't happen if you do it as above in the bank anyway.

I'm sure that others will have differing opinions - there is no straightforward way of buying/selling a high value car privately that gives protection to both the buyer and the seller.

Some will undoubtedly suggest BACS bank transfer - but as a buyer would you really want to send your payment (which absolutely can't be stopped or reversed) three days before you can go back and collect the car from someone you don't know? CHAPS payments are quick (couple of hours) but cost more and are only same day if you get the request into the bank well before 11am. The new fast payments service has a max transfer limit of about £6k (per day ) so none of those options is particularly apealing to a buyer.

Just my thoughts and what works for me Smile

Post #7564244th Feb 2011 2:08 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Bank draft from the bank whilst in the branch sounds a way of doing it. Now I know why I used the trade in route in the past. Sad

Post #7564574th Feb 2011 3:19 pm
Will Hay

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

CHAPS same day £25 phone before 3pm latest in by 5pm.
Did it Dec 2010 when I bought my second D3.
 D3 incl. genuine glass windscreen, front bi-focal headlights, full width rear bumper, self levelling washer bottle contents and audible 'tick tock' indicator stalk
911 GT3 had one [never]
R8 V12 just gone [past me]
Piiss highest up a wall winner runner up 1979 

Post #7564734th Feb 2011 4:12 pm
WOODY179

United Kingdom 

DSL wrote:
Bank draft from the bank whilst in the branch sounds a way of doing it. Now I know why I used the trade in route in the past. Sad

Thats the way mine was sold, buyer brought a bankers draft with him and we both went to my bank where the assistant verified the bankers draft - I also took a photocopy of the buyers passport and drivers licence.

The other way of doing it is via electronic transfer - though the buyer can only transfer £10k per day (per account) unless they phone their bank or visit their local branch. Doing it this way the funds should be transfered within 2 hours.

Post #7565024th Feb 2011 4:55 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DSL

Ukraine 

Dilemma sorted, sold it to Yeovil LR. Smile

Post #7578597th Feb 2011 1:49 pm
Gazellio

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Removed before my sponsorship of D3 was confirmed...

Last edited by Gazellio on 13th Feb 2011 12:42 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #7578647th Feb 2011 1:56 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DSL

Ukraine 

Didn't know that, sorry. Embarassed I've dealt a lot with Nick and didn't thinks a dealer would be interested but I was wrong. There is a major shortage of good cars and mine was just sitting there doing nothing. Bit of an impulsive sale but happy with the result. Smile

Post #7578667th Feb 2011 2:03 pm
Gazellio

No problem glad you got what you wanted Thumbs Up

Removed before my sponsorship of D3 was confirmed...

Last edited by Gazellio on 13th Feb 2011 12:42 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #7578677th Feb 2011 2:08 pm
elpiloto

United Arab Emirates 2008 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol HSE Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 3

Can anyone give an account of what it was like selling on ebay? And did you get a fair price?

Post #76091513th Feb 2011 12:03 am
Gazellio

If you are going to sell privately then I suggest a combo of Ebay/Autotrader/Pistonheads but in reality you will not attract the same number of buyers as a dealer and offers will be significantly lower due the no comeback no warranty nature of a private sale.

You may well be better off selling at a price not too much less than private value to a trader and relieve yourself of the stress of showing the car to various tyre kickers and worse.

I as a used Prestige/Land Rover Dealer am able to offer PX Values on good 2007+ cars with full history and no known faults so feel free to PM me Smile

Post #76093713th Feb 2011 12:49 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >