Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

How's your D3 holding up?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
StaticMotion

Scotland 

wychwood wrote:
Today I learned about waxoyl. I've apparently been living under a rock.

How are you applying it? Are you pressurizing it to spray, or doing it the hard way? I actually whipped out the creeper today to get a better look, and it seems that most of the rust is in the seams. The surface rust is just starting on the frame itself, so I think I can wire brush it and then seal it to make it pretty again.

Laughing every day's a school day as they say.

I have a waxoyl hand pump sprayer, basically a tube that goes into the tin with a spray head and trigger and you spray as you would .. erm .. a spraying thing, you know like household cleaner kinda thing that swmbo tells me exists! I did my 300tdi with it, allowed me the control I needed, just enough back spray to let me know what waxoyl tastes like and did the job fine. It is tiring on the hands that way but I managed so anyone can Laughing

I used an aerosol tin of waxoyl with a little self created backsprayer (aka plastic pipe with something in the end that deflected the spray backward) to spray inside the chassis, worked for me. Although it doesn't let you go the full depth because it loses pressure after a very short distance and oozes lol so to do the inside right on my D3 I shall be looking at a proper backspraying device Laughing

Post #8431963rd Oct 2011 11:24 pm
wychwood

United States 2007 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tonga GreenLR3

Any surface prep before you sprayed? I see they have a few products for that purpose, but I'm not sure if they are required, or an attempt at up-selling unnecessary product.

Post #8432024th Oct 2011 12:10 am
Cubik

Norway 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Gareth wrote:
Regarding the audio, I find that if you knock the bass two or three clicks down from nominal, knock the treble up 2 or three clicks, and run the subwoofer at max. Make sure the Logic 7 setting is ON. Some tracks do seem to over power the door speakers, but knocking the bass down another click helps.

After an hour of tweaking the stereo with different music I found this setup to work best on mine as well, and I adjust the fader a bit to get a tiny amount more umph in the back ( I don't have kids Twisted Evil )

With that being said I am immensely disappointed by the HK stereo in these cars, I had expected that it would at least be better than my mid-level stereo in my previous VWs and BMWs - but it isn't. I think however that the dealer might have disconnected my subwoofer (it's been rebuildt to a van) - but I might be wrong.

Post #8433214th Oct 2011 1:07 pm
StaticMotion

Scotland 

wychwood wrote:
Any surface prep before you sprayed? I see they have a few products for that purpose, but I'm not sure if they are required, or an attempt at up-selling unnecessary product.

I just got the power washer under there and then gave the really grubby bits a clean with a stiff brush (not a wire brush) before re washing and allowing to drip totall dry. Waxoyl soaks through old surface rust but any loose bits need to come off or they'll just flake off later taking the waxoyl with em.

I was carefull where I powerwashed though, not up into engine bay or on anything one might blast the grease out of Laughing I also set the washer on a slightly lower pressure, I guess it depends on how strong a pressure washer you have, to be honest a good strong hose jet and a stiff brush should help. You get all sorts of products to clean everything but it was my 300tdi so I wasn't too bothered and waxoyl is good at soaking into everything. Not decided as yet how I'll clean under the D3 when the time comes but I doubt a low pressure power wash will cause an issue.

Post #8434184th Oct 2011 5:05 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >