DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

HS2 - not quite to plan
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

NoDo$h wrote:
RRSTDV8 wrote:
Why do commuter trains need to have first and second class carriages? Likewise the tables. Get 'em in, give everyone a seat and get them where they're going. Thumbs Up

SWR split their stock into commuter, mid and long distance at around 1hr, 2hr and >2hr journeys.

Ah, fair enough then.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #20805673rd Sep 2019 5:37 pm
icestationzebra

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Said from the beginning that it should have been started in the north going south to London. Just how are the construction estimates so far out when inflation is so benign and property values are reasonably stable?

Post #20805683rd Sep 2019 5:38 pm
Washwipe

England 

Estimates, say what you think they want to hear.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/d...stleblower

Post #20805773rd Sep 2019 6:03 pm
Scott #55

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Disco_Mikey wrote:
Scott # wrote:
I'm also fed up hearing about people and companies who abuse the tax system to avoid paying their 'fair share'. Censored . Those repsonsible for the apparent abuse of the system are those who draft and put into place ineffective or ill-thought-out legislation. Why on earth should anyone be surprised when a 'loophole' (i.e. mistake or oversight) is exploited? Those who sign the legislation off are at fault. They're paid enough - is it too much to expect that they do their jobs?

They are the people running ruining the country. All self serving Censored who are only looking out for No 1

There. FTFY.
 2014 - D4 2010 HSE Nara Bronze
2012 - FL2 2009 GS Stornoway Grey
2001 - VW Passat Estate Inky Blue
1999 - Ford Mondeo Light Blue
1998 - Rover 25 Red 

Post #20805783rd Sep 2019 6:03 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Same difference Laughing
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #20805813rd Sep 2019 6:20 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

An alternative take on HS2:

Quote:
HS2’s projected cost is up to £78 billion.

There are 66 million people in the UK.

The cost of a Freddo is currently 25p.

£78 billion could therefore buy 312 billion Freddos.

This would give every person in the country 4727 Freddos, with around £5 million left over - that’s enough to fund research and development into some sort of ‘Super Freddo’ that could be developed in Birmingham and then used to turn the UK into an economic powerhouse once again.

Are we honestly saying that getting from London to Manchester an hour faster and turfing out a load of homeowners and businesses is worth it when each and every one of us could benefit from over ten years’ worth of Freddos?

Shamelessly stolen from www.facebook.com/manbehavingdadly/posts/2644002618945777
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #20805823rd Sep 2019 6:23 pm
mse

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Quote:
I also take issue with the proposal that HS2 infrastructure would be given to the same bunch who do such a poor job of running the existing infrastructure. This makes no sense to me. There are so many examples of how Network Rail (formerly Railtrack) are incapable of managing the network effectively, safely and in a cost effective manner.

I dont think network rail are running HS2, but it doesnt really matter - i dont think they are at fault (having no ties with them) to the poor running of the infrastructure either.

HS2 is mad, i would be supportive if other options had been invested in and supported, but i dont feel they have.

Undoing beechings work would be a better investment - that would help improve things outside of London, there are rail journeys that cant touch normal life - its not all about getting to London, try getting across the country etc etcfix that.

Then look at capacity and quality on the current network, we dont need to ditch comfort and tables but other options.
 Mike  
Post #20806543rd Sep 2019 10:08 pm
mzplcg

England 

NoDo$h wrote:
Which service is this on? The standard layout for an 11-coach pendolino is 3 1/3 carriages first class, 6 2/3rd Standard Class with the . On Super Voyager they're 10 coach, with 2/3rds of 1 carriage in each 5 carriage set laid out as first class.

West Coast Main Line. Either through Brum or via Nuneaton, Tamworth and teh Trent Valley. Last night's train from Euston to B'ham International was 9 carriages, 4 1st class and 5 standard. This was a Pendolino I think, Electric tilting ones rather than the few diesels they still run. I didn't get a seat until Milton Keynes despite 1st class being quieter than the Mary Celeste.

There are a few trains that are made up of 2 sets which split though. These are better as it's 2 5 carriage sets with only one 1st class carriage in each set. Tends to be the Edinburgh Wavereley train where 5 of the carriages end up going into North Wales after Crewe.

Post #20807004th Sep 2019 7:31 am
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

@NoDo$h ... the Freddos idea wouldn't go down with the lactose intolerant ones amongst us. (me for one Laughing )

What should have been done with HS2 is start it from the other end(s) ... I'll bet the funding wouldn't be threatened for completing the connections into Laaarndon then.

Post #20807064th Sep 2019 7:40 am
nigels888

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Mariana BlackDiscovery 4

and the costs are going up why. because of the Bureaucracy that is imposed by HS2 and the PC's and the amount of downtime that is created due to something happening on another site.

Post #20810225th Sep 2019 6:03 am
betty02

United Kingdom 

I try not to comment on HS2 much. Few reasons why.

Personally, I was all for it. I was living in Blackpool and working in Leeds, driving there and back each day for 18 months. I met my partner during this time and we bought a house in Altofts in Wakefield. Just on the outskirts of Leeds. When we purchased the first I ever heard about HS2 was something in my survey report. I looking into it and thought that sounds a pretty decent scheme, it was going across one lane in the village and through some fields. Didn't think much of it and we got the house none the less as it wasn't a sticking point more a heads up.

After then get leaflet after leaflet, campaigns in the village and heightened news about it. I did a bit more research. Now although me and my partner work together I drive in most days or WFH and she will get the train. It's a 12 minute journey direct to Leeds from our station 10 min walk down the road. It costs her over £6 a day to get to work and back and a vile train, standing or sat in a doorway, 99% off the time late.

The more I looked into it and seen the potential costs, the current costs and the projections the more I went against it. I understand it isn't just about speed it is also about capacity. I travel from Leeds to London a few times a month, I always reserve a seat, also get my seat, window and table for lappy etc and never had a major real issue.

The issues are local, improve the local trains between the northern cities, I really disagree with the benefit HS2 will have for it's costs. How many journeys will it need to run to recoup the costs? And how will then benefit locals traveling to and from neighboring towns for week each day? Compared to the business man whom may travel once a week?

I work in IT, I have my own business in IT we have things such as Skype and VC's for meetings these days which are used so often.

Yes I am a little bitter as I didn't realise when I moved the importance of that main country lane in and out of the village. Which HS2 will cut straight across. I enjoy being able to work the fields literally opposite my house - But I can't moan about this really, as it was flagged and I chose to proceed so would be wrong of me. In terms of costs, time and the actual benefit I still feel HS2 is pointless. Northern powerhouse rail for me!

Post #20810705th Sep 2019 8:41 am
RogB

United Kingdom 

I work for Network Rail in an office environment and get some visibility of projects and planning...... and im not at all surprised its massively over budget.

I was going to put a long post on here, but decided against it on the basis of this being an open forum.

However, as has been said already, HS2 is a white elephant that is not under the Network Rail umbrella, they are a separate entity, in the same way that Crossrail is.

Post #20811395th Sep 2019 2:23 pm
James W

United Kingdom 

RRSTDV8 wrote:
Why do commuter trains need to have first and second class carriages? Likewise the tables. Get 'em in, give everyone a seat and get them where they're going. Thumbs Up

Hey, don't deny me of my one perk in life for dragging my a Censored e around the country Laughing

It's not really much of a perk in reality though I find - First class on most routes in my experience other than Virgin is more about just getting a seat/some space - It's only really the cooked breakfast on the way out and booze on the way back which set it apart. Plus of course the elbow room. First class on regional trains such as TPE is a token gesture which I find is more often than not full of NR work gangs travelling around anyway so you can't get a seat even with a First Class ticket.

From Liverpool, London is pretty much the easiest place to get to. Within the north, Leeds is more reliable than Manchester with a pleasant route over the Pennines past Huddersfield but fewer trains. Manchester is always far too overcrowded with trains often late or cancelled, although a lot of this is due to the curse of Northern as an operator, but there are lots of departures so it's not as bad to pick up with another train just 15 mins later or even less.

For me, where I would like to see improvements are between middle-sized city locations. If I am working somewhere like Nottingham, Northampton, Litchfield, Bristol, etc - you're looking at half a day easily door to door. It's those journeys that are turned into 4hr+ epics, with one or two changes at Stafford or Rugby, travelling on a series of local stopping services. If these were better served, with more express services to say the top 15 or so UK cities, other than London, Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds, etc, and with bookable seating, with chargers, tables, half decent coffee and lunches, and clean toilets, that is where the money would be best spent for me.
 D4 XS, gone, much loved, never forgotten
2018 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography - WTF does this button do 

Post #20811415th Sep 2019 2:47 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #225745417th Oct 2021 11:14 pm
HWN

Wales 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Any builder could have told us that a construction project from London to Birmingham was going to be expensive: have you ever tried buying a 100 mile 110 V extension lead? Shocked

2015 Volvo V40
2014 D4 HSE
2006 RRS - C'est mort. Fin...  ...It's alive!  Oh no, it's not - scrapped.
2019 Suzuki Kingquad 400
2017 RamRod Taskmaster 1150
1977 John Deere 2130

Post #225758618th Oct 2021 1:45 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >