Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

HSE "Demented lights" High-Beam Assist
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Big Al

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4
HSE "Demented lights" High-Beam Assist

I can't believe that LR has replaced Adaptive Front lights for the "demented" High beam assist. on the HSE as standard!!!! My previous D3's Adaptive Front lights where a real bonus and an active safety feature, whilst High-beam assist is a gimmick, rather than being useful, and in no certain terms is going to get me killed - by some thug who thinks that I've dazzled him, as the High Beam assist doesn't work all that well and isn't fast enough!!! Evil or Very Mad

Why has LR done something so incredibly stupid!!? and if I'd have noticed that the HSE didn't have this, as they had previously, I may have even paid to have Adaptive Front lights but truly believe that they should be standard upon the HSE, if not all models they represent a major safety enhancement to the D4.

LR stop with the gimmicks, leave that to BMW et al, the product is good enough to stand up without having to resort to such stupid features. I know that there's a whole host of features which sound stupid and worthless, but generally they all have their place whilst this time High-Beam assist is truly worthless. I did everntually find out how to disable High-beam assist before someone thumped me, however LR could have thought things through a bit more!!

Post #5287052nd Oct 2009 7:41 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Poor phone sytem ...poor lights ....beginning to sound like an expensive mistake Al Whistle
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #5287082nd Oct 2009 7:44 pm
NJF

Adaptive and high-beam assist are both options on the HSE in Luxembourg, about EUR 370 and 175 each.

Post #5287112nd Oct 2009 7:47 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

The phone system is the same as in the 2009 MY D3.......

Post #5287122nd Oct 2009 7:47 pm
Gt.Mooglywoogly

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

I suppose you could just change the high beam to dipped using the stalk??

I know the frustration with the new tech. The other half has an Audi with hill assist, which puts the hand brake on to eliminate backward roll on hills. The problem is that you have to use more revs to get moving and tend to shoot off like a rocket.

Not so good when squeezing into a tiny parking slot on a hill with mm to spare !!!

Post #5287592nd Oct 2009 8:43 pm
Big Al

Tried using manual override, whilst still have "demented" high-beam assist still active, and whilst I dropped the main-beam it immediately put it back up again and hence my remark that this is going to kill me (by proxy of someone giving me a good thumping - no matter how large I am!!

I've now found and disabled said functionality and pining for the much loved and much more useful aid to safety of Adaptive Front lights. Alas, I'm informed that this cannot be retrofitted!!! Crying or Very sad

Post #5294694th Oct 2009 7:40 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NJF

Al, could you post some pics of the new car? I haven't seen the D4 in Rimini Red yet. Thumbs Up Have you got privacy glass?

Post #5295044th Oct 2009 8:15 pm
Big Al

NJF I'll take some tomorrow and post them online. It'll be late on as she's in Dealers having the (long awaited for) Tow-bar and mud flaps installed, and hopefully they'll give a wash too Very Happy so that she's looking her best.

Prior to the last D3 I had which was Stornaway Grey I had Rimini Red, which looked stunning, but on the D4 it is even more stunning, so hopefully you'll be impressed. I haven't the privicy glass (I've always associated that with pimp mobiles so couldn't brinng myslef to purchase such Very Happy ).

Post #5295564th Oct 2009 9:14 pm
Big Al

As promised NJF, Disco 4 in Rimini Red

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #5300465th Oct 2009 7:01 pm
Bristol Disco2

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

You wouldn't be the same Big Al that I met in TH White earlier would you???

Thanks for showing me round the D4, it definitely looks better in Rimini Red as the D4 rather than my D3.

Does the D4 have the sidelights that come on as you round a corner or turn on the indicator below a certain speed? I find this more useful that the adaptive lights and certainly would be better than high beam assist!!

James

Post #5301155th Oct 2009 8:33 pm
Big Al

Hi James,

It sure was, it's a small world Very Happy in more ways than onse!!

I'm not actually sure about the cornerinng lights, I'll have to take a look, but I'm pretty sure that these only come with the Adaptive Front headlights that I miss so much.

As I said the first time that I saw Rimini Red on a Rangerover Sport I had to have that colour on my next Disco 3. It was almost identical to yours and was my pride and joy. Alas last time I left it too late and didn't get much of a chance over to order Rimini Red. However for the Disco4 I just had to get it again and I'm over the moon with it, as it looks stunning.

It was lovely to meet you, and it seemed that it certainly was Rimini Red day at T.H Whites, as there were also a couple of FL2's in Rimini Red there too this morning. Up the reds!! Very Happy

Post #5301775th Oct 2009 9:37 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Cornering lights only come as part of the adaptive set up.

Post #5301815th Oct 2009 9:43 pm
NJF

Nice colour, Al. Thumbs Up

Post #5307556th Oct 2009 10:02 pm
sorryandy

Netherlands 

very nice Al Bow down

Post #5307646th Oct 2009 10:18 pm
Gt.Mooglywoogly

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Hi,

Just went up the A32 to test out the high Beam assist for the first time

Easily switched on/off in the setup menu.

No Problems at all. Seemed to work really well.

Early detection of approaching cars was fine.

Main beam only comes on if no tail lights, no on-coming headlights or if street lighting is absent.

Seems to react even when on-coming traffic is cresting a hill. Okay on dual carriage way when the lanes are quite separated.

Post #53264710th Oct 2009 11:08 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >