Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

HTC contacts to D3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
disco_fever

England 
HTC contacts to D3

Evenin' all.. As a D3 virgin, I have already asked many a simple question.. But, can anyone tell me, in laymans terms, how to access the contacts in my HTC Touch Diamond phone from the phone prep system? I have a MY56 HSE.
I have read conflicting views about where the contacts have to be stored for them to be accessed. When I receive a call the incoming caller name is displayed, so i assume that the contatc list is synched with the car?? Or not?

Post #34837922nd Sep 2008 10:49 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I can see the words but I have no feckin' idea what you're on about?????
could you get google to translate it into English? Thud

Post #34838022nd Sep 2008 10:53 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

TFC, beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer, is that the translation your'e after Rolling with laughter

Post #34838722nd Sep 2008 11:00 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I also have no idea, but I'd be interested to know what you think of your Diamond.....any good (apart from bluetooth)? Battery life?

¿Internal GPS any good?

Cheers,
Paul
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #34839622nd Sep 2008 11:08 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Can't work out if it's Mackem, Takem, Toonie, Smoggy, Monkeyhanger or Indian Laughing Laughing

Post #34840022nd Sep 2008 11:16 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

The Diamond is a great looking piece of hardware....

But thats all.

Its crap, gave mine back as the battery runs out half way through the day, the GUI is very slow and it forgets who its connected to over bluetooth. Post using Opera the thing has to have a think for about 30 seconds...

But thats just my experience using one of the first released. Hopefully its improved.

Anyway...

The PTI queries the phone over BT for the contacts. Certainly with a MY08 PTI, there is no downloading of contacts into the D3 but a pleasant passing of information following a polite request.

There's was was easy Thumbs Up

Post #34842222nd Sep 2008 11:41 pm
cdodkin

United States 2008 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Chawton WhiteLR3

So on my 08, the BT phone system imports all of my iPhone contacts into the head unit. (Does it every time the iPhone is in the car)

Takes a min or two - but once it's done, I can press the phone button on the head unit, then use the Menu button to get to a complete alphabetical list of my phone book.

Actually of Censored all use, as it's way to time consuming to scroll through the entire list this way - much easier to access the number on the iphone and dial from there.

The uploaded numbers are NOT immediately available for voice activated dialing - that's a completely different function where you have to hand key numbers into the head unit, and record a sample of you saying the name associated with that number - so it can recognize your voice command.

These voice dial numbers stay in the head unit, and only use the phone connected via BT for dialing etc..

Hope that helps!
 08 LR3 SE V8 - 02 D2 SE7 V8
Porsche 911 (03 996) - 2013 MINI Cooper S 

Post #34860523rd Sep 2008 3:35 pm
simon

It must depend on the handset then.

Nokia / HTC probably support more services over BT than the iPhone and some other handsets.

Never had to upload or wait for anything with my N95, Touch Diamond or N82.

Post #34865423rd Sep 2008 5:36 pm
cdodkin

So let me clarify - I don't 'upload' anything - the BT system in the car does that by itself.

It's importing over 1000 contact records from the iphone into the LR head-unit, hence it's not instant.

You can use the LR BT in car phone system immediately on start-up, as it automatically detects the iPhone via BT - so no delay there at all.

It's only if you want to use the head-unit to scroll through the contacts, rather than dialing via the phone, where you'd need to wait for your contacts to upload.

This is with the factory 'add-on' LR BT interface, on a non Sat Nav equipped vehicle.

Why you'd want to use the head-unit to dial from your contacts is beyond me - I'd have to scroll through an alpha list of 1000 numbers to find the number to dial - on a crappy LCD screen - with no search facility.

Using the phone to find and dial is way easier, and the call still comes back through the BT system automatically.

Hope that clarifies matters a little.

Post #34866323rd Sep 2008 5:59 pm
simon

I can access my contacts list immediately (over 600) on the head unit. I Use the keypad to narrow down a search just like a normal phone handset... speeds up searches no end.

Mine is the factory fit PTI with BT and the cradle in the centre cubby. UK MY08.

I also doubt it actually moves the data to the head unit... 1000 contacts over BT would take more than a couple of minutes. Its probably just taking its time connecting / syncing to the phone and requesting the list of names... with no other contact data.

I also believe the D3 is limited to about 50 contacts in its own internal memory. The contacts stay in the phone and are pushed to the head unit when requested.

Once you select a name the head unit tells the phone to dial it and the audio is routed to the D3's speakers.

If you select a number on the handset... the audio gets routed to the D3 and piped through the speakers.

The phone handles everything else.

In order to display the number in the Message Centre... the D3 requests the phone number from the handset and the displays it.

Post #34870223rd Sep 2008 8:04 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

Press the phone button on the audio unit then turn the scroll wheel, goes into contact list. As mentioned you can use the alpha-numeric keys on the radio to jump to the relevant letter.

Only know this as my 56 'HSE had the new 08MY Bluetooth module installed today, prior to this it would not synch the contacts with my smart-phone.
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #34870623rd Sep 2008 8:15 pm
cdodkin

Mmmm, had been told by the rep at the Stealership that it was uploading the phone book to the LR3 - but either way the results are the same. You get your alpha sorted list on the LCD - not sure if this is just from the phones contact file, or if it includes SIM data as well?

The keypad feature to narrow down the list is nice, but still sucks compared to search and dial from the actual cellphone itself.

Of course, I can still dial in California without breaking the law - understand that this is not the case in the UK these days.. Big Cry So the head-unit LCD is better than nothing in that case.

Only issue I have found with the system (to date) is a random issue where you answer an incoming call using the steering wheel controls, and the phone answers, but no audio comes through the LR speakers.

Sort of a voice routing issue by the looks of things - but it's not consistent.

Post #34872423rd Sep 2008 8:42 pm
disco_fever

England 

Would have been nicer to have received a simple 'don't understand the question' instead of some mind numbingly boring verbal abuse.

However, the question was simple. I cannot access the contacts on my phone when it is fitted to the car by BT. The caller ID appears, but I cannot look at contacts stored on the phone. I heard they had to be stored on the phone and NOT the SIM. True or not? See, easy!

Now, anyone over the age of 13 like to answer?

Rolling Eyes

Post #34881223rd Sep 2008 9:53 pm
disco_fever

England 

By the way. I too find the HTC Diamond a pain to use. Battery life IMO is not too bad. I charge it every night, but have known it go two full days between charges with moderate useage. But, it is very fiddly to use, is not too easily customised to your own tastes and is slow to react to changes on the TouchFlo interface. There's a resonable chance I will change it in the next few months.

Post #34881923rd Sep 2008 9:57 pm
simon

FFS.. the TD works. The D3 reads the list form the phone and does not transfer it over.

As said... MY08 works... yours may not due to its age or software level.

If your gonna play ungrateful, ask your dealer not the forum Thud

Problem likely due to Windows Mobile being crap BTW.

Post #34882223rd Sep 2008 9:59 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >