Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Hydraulic Bumpstops
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
daveyb

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Tonga GreenLR3
Hydraulic Bumpstops

After recently enduring my second Red Suspension Failure, I'm toying with the idea of an independent back-up system to allow my rig adequate ride height to get off the trail in an emergency. My tires are just over 32" and rub quite enthusiastically when the failure occurs - not to mention zero suspension. If I can figure out a way to weld on some cans to house the bumpstops, this seems like a reasonable solution. The question is, will the active system and computers know if a secondary system is employed? My theory is to set up the bumpstop height nearly equal to Access Height which would allow enough room for the tires as well as provide a certain degree of remaining suspension. All just theory at this point.

http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/assets...rbump1.jpg
 2006 D3 Tonga Green
275/65/18 GY DuraTracs - ARB w/ EP9.0 - Sasquatch Rods 

Post #56840421st Dec 2009 3:14 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

It would be easier to cut the lines to each of the airbags and put in a T connector. Lines to the engine bay and blank off ready to connect a compressor to. Idea
Push connectors for a 6mm line should work I think.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #56859821st Dec 2009 9:47 pm
daveyb

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Tonga GreenLR3

Thanks Andrew Thumbs Up That was plan #2. Seems a bit intrusive but brilliantly simple. I guess my real question is whether or not I COULD drive above the 30mph warning without the computers freaking out. I assume this speed is recommended due to the lack of suspension. My D3 repair manual only touches on the R/R procedures for the Air Dampers and not the actual inner workings of the assembly. I assume the factory bumpstops are inside the assembly and not user friendly to access.
 2006 D3 Tonga Green
275/65/18 GY DuraTracs - ARB w/ EP9.0 - Sasquatch Rods 

Post #56873522nd Dec 2009 1:54 am
disco4x4au

Australia 

Assuming this is only for emergency use, (I went the 'T' piece route with my old D3), once you've re-inflated (and even a twin-pump, decent compressor will only get you up to on-road height), then just pull the fuse on the compressor to shut down the EAS. Then there should be no conflict between the two systems.

Cheers,

Gordon
 ex - 2006 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, with lots of stuff - R.I.P.
ex - 2009 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, had lots of stuff too!
Now - 2010 RRS 3.0 TDV6, rimini red, 18" rims + Cooper LTZ, rear eLocker, Spider tuning box, GOE protection plates and rock sliders, GOE 3way shortened rods. 

Post #56874222nd Dec 2009 2:52 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caverD3

I did a 400km round trip icluding farm tracks with mine stuck in normal height with the 30 mph warning on. I had no idea what mph was so drove as normal. Whistle
Drove like a tall go cart (very stiff) Confused
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #56875422nd Dec 2009 6:10 am
Bushwanderer

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Ooooer, you do talk dirty. Whistle
 The Bearded Dragon  
Post #56927023rd Dec 2009 2:47 am
caverD3

All in your mind BW. Laughing
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #56927423rd Dec 2009 3:02 am
Bushwanderer

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Where it should be. Wink
 The Bearded Dragon  
Post #56927523rd Dec 2009 3:19 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >