Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Hydraulic Winch Installation on a D4
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
DingMark

Iraq 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4
Hydraulic Winch Installation on a D4

I've put photos of how I installed a 12,000 lb Mile Marker hydraulic winch on my (at the time) 6 week old D4, in case any one is interested. It is held in place by "Uncle Ray's" discrete winch mount, which had to be modified for this large winch's electrical:hydraulic solenoid. The winch is powered by the D4's power steering pump, and it works a treat. The biggest "gulp" of the installation is cutting into the PS system by the steering rack to connect the hoses. I suggest anyone who does this find a very competent hydraulic expert first. I tracked down the guy who maintain's Qantas's baggage loading equipment's hydraulic systems and he did it in about 15 minutes. One thing to remember about this type of winch is to be sure and disconnect the hoses (and re-install the piece that was cut out of the D4's PS tubing - now where did I put it?) before the body is lifted from the chassis. Could make a big mess otherwise I suppose.

The winch works a treat, but is slower than some may want. I preferred hydraulic for a couple of reasons. Firstly, it doesn't take much electrical power so the D4's computer/battery/gremlins don't even notice the winch. Secondly, there's no river crossings causing moisture and shorting out the electrics. The only electrics are in a small, sealed solenoid and the hydraulic system is pressurised (thereby keeping water out) as long as the engine is running. It is also completely silent when pulling, which is just plain spooky to me.

The winch rope holds the licence plate mount in place, and to do so I took off the winch hook. I just use a shackle instead. It does take a few minutes to remove the licence plate, and extend the winch rope, but for my use, a bit of extra time is more than offset by having the winch discretely where it is.
 Jim Dowell - D4 HSE TDi, 12,000 hydraulic winch & hidden winch mount, MTRs, TyreDog, Traxide 2 x aux battery system, fixed air compressor, Dolium roof rack, MitchHitch.
RIP 2005 D3 HSE V8 5 seater gold (stolen and torched) 

Post #9515757th Jul 2012 6:59 am
RLD
Uncle Ray 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

well done Thumbs Up
 Home of RLD Hidden winch mounts Spare wheel Locks Trailer Body Fabrication ray@rld-tech.co.uk D3/4 sump plates MY 14 sump plates and the Discovery Sport wheel protectors Discovery 5 wheel locks
more Helsport tents and other things for camping Law of Mechanical Repair:
"After your hands are coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee!" 

Post #9515857th Jul 2012 8:09 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Nice job there Thumbs Up ...have seen Chris Tylers one in operation a few years back very impressive.
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #9515987th Jul 2012 8:47 am
amazing

China 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

cool break from the norm
 It is better to have and not need it then need and not have it.  
Post #9516137th Jul 2012 9:33 am
Wildrover

Ireland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Nice job
How is the winch controlled eg wireless or wired
 2007 D3 HSE Artic Frost Silverish
Wandering Aussie-Looking for SUN

Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional. 

Post #9516187th Jul 2012 9:56 am
D4JWW

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Neat install, are you not worried about winch blocking airflow to IC especially in Hot climate or prevent cleaning IC after mud section?
 A few mods... and keeping it all running...Faultmate MSV2
MY09EGR's blanked Thanks Bellautos, BAS 

Post #9516897th Jul 2012 4:27 pm
DingMark

I was concerned about blocking the cooling, and did some experiments. I blocked the bottom of the IC/radiator with cardboard and drove around, watching the coolant temp, and listening to the fan. I was finally able to "force" a warmer radiator by driving on a soft beach for 20 mins with full tyre pressure (and full throttle) on a 40C day. As soon as I deflated the tyres to 18 psi, the coolant temp went down to normal. I love this type of scientific experiment Mr. Green

Regarding mud, hmmm. The rest of Australia refers to Perth residents as "Sand Gropers". We live on a huge sand box and while travelling 1000 km away it's still all sand. Mud hasn't been an issue. By pulling the radiator grill off, I can see the front of all the IC/radiator, so I'd know if mud or sand was sticking and then find a way of washing it out.

Blockage issues are the same irregardless of the winch being hydraulic or electric. I can't fully identify everything but suspect in the heat of Oz the D4 comes with a transmission cooler. I've no idea if we get larger radiators but haven't heard of anyone having an issue with cooling.
 Jim Dowell - D4 HSE TDi, 12,000 hydraulic winch & hidden winch mount, MTRs, TyreDog, Traxide 2 x aux battery system, fixed air compressor, Dolium roof rack, MitchHitch.

Post #9518348th Jul 2012 4:50 am
CUCO

Spain 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Is the South Africa cooling system the same as the european one? Maybe not as it could be bigger it would help cooling if acc locked radiator is an issue ...

Post #9518388th Jul 2012 6:36 am
Popelka

Czech Republic 

so whats the impact on steering pressure when running the winch, I guess it wont need a lot of use on steering if winching; but do you see later on that maybe a new PS pump(upgrade) would be needed? Confused

also can you show diagram of the connection as you wrote about putting back to OEM when going for service and I cant get the picture in my head how you have that set up Embarassed

Nice work Thumbs Up
 Experience is a difficult teacher, because she gives the test first and then the lesson afterwards!!!!  
Post #9522549th Jul 2012 7:58 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DingMark

I haven't noticed any change to the steering when running the winch. That said when winching myself out of a hole, I don't move the steering wheel slowly. The hydraulic diagramme does show that the winch should take most of the PS system pressure to run it, so there's not much left for the steering, but I haven't felt it.

As far as an upgraded PS pump, I can't even see the existing pump in the 3.0 TDi engine, so I can't imagine changing to a more powerful one. There is someone else in Perth with a D4 2.7 TDi (the old D3 engine is in the base D4 here in Oz). He had enough extra room in the engine compartment to put in a much larger belt-powered pump for a hydraulic winch. However, I've no need for fast winching and couldn't find the space to put in a separate pump, so using the engine's system is okay.

Post #95285710th Jul 2012 10:25 am
D4JWW

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Dingmark, your tests and lack of mud convinced me! The D4 IC is a improvement on the D3! Thumbs Up
 A few mods... and keeping it all running...Faultmate MSV2
MY09EGR's blanked Thanks Bellautos, BAS 

Post #95286810th Jul 2012 11:02 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >