Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

What do I do?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
nigel207

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4
What do I do?

I'm in a quandry! We have a 2005 D3 SE which we've owned for the past two years. It's just done 60,000 miles. In the time that we've owned it (from 45,000) it's had both EGR's, a clutch (at 46,000 miles!), a suspension compressor, and a turbo. When we had the snow/cold weather just before Christmas, I treated it to a new battery (from a LR Independent) as I believed the one on to be its original. Almost every time I started it from cold (but only on the first start of the day) I was getting the "System Fault - Special Programmes not available" flash up, followed by "Special Programmes Off". Everything worked fine though, despite the messages. I do not use the car every day, and I've started getting the message(s) again on the first start (the weather has been colder once again).

As it's coming to service/MOT time within the next few weeks, do I have the bare minimum done and then get rid, or do I get the thing sorted and keep it? I ask because it's possible that it may need ball joints doing (mentioned on Stratstone's Health Check - touting for business I'm sure), front brake discs (which I'm quite capable of sorting), and whatever else gets thrown up.

I'm almost paranoid now, and when it drops below 4 degrees, and I get the "bong", my heart misses a beat. I've also noticed on a couple of occasions when the engine is still cold, and I've had to set off quicker than I normally do (yes, I'm Miss Daisy) there's been a very small puff of smoke. I'm sure that's probably normal, as it only does it the once (the first time I give it some right foot) but....... I've also got the damned clutch pedal squeak now, and despite spraying any pivot points/moving parts that I can see with WD40, it still persists. Is that something more sinister than simply a squeaking pedal?

I will admit that part of the problem that I love the car when it's going properly, and there's nothing else that ticks the boxes, but at the moment I just don't trust it, and don't enjoy going out in it, as I'm just waiting for the next thing to go wrong.

What do I do? Confused

Post #7712586th Mar 2011 7:55 pm
Goffie01

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

I was in the same boat 3 weeks ago . Had car 3.5 years loved it then a noise appeared from we think the diff. Quoted £6.5 K Crying or Very sad Now the proud owner of a brand new D4 Thumbs Up

Post #7712596th Mar 2011 7:58 pm
wvlenthe

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hi Nigel,

I cannot look in your wallet but I've had two cars I didn't trust any more (3 year old Audi and 4 year old Jaguar) and sold both almost immediately. If you are afraid at what might or might not happen when turning the key to start it, it's no fun any more.

For me, and I think for many people on here, the permagrin and the feeling you have when driving your D3 are the most invaluable factors in Land Rover ownership.

It I were you and could afford, I'd have the minimum done and trade in for another D3, if it is the car that does it for you. And while you're at it, buy an auto.

My 2 cents,

regards,

Wiljo
 D3 V8 HSE Auto in Zermatt silver - driveway version gone but not forgotten, only the living room cupboard version remains  
Post #7712656th Mar 2011 8:01 pm
Goffie01

Do they even do a D4 Manual Laughing Rolling with laughter

Post #7712686th Mar 2011 8:05 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Smoke on acceleration could be a split turbo pipe.

I feel your pain as i've had all of these go and loads more, don't get me started on reliability as I've had a half bottle of vino (unfortunately SWMBO had the other half), mine's just been off the road for 3 weeks having it's second replacement turbo. As someone here said you don't maintain a LR, you just continually rebuild it! Suffice it to say you don't buy one of these for reliability! Banging Head Banging Head

PS was the replacement battery a LR one?? It sounds like it or your alternator is goosed. If a genuine battery I has a 3 year warranty.

Last edited by DSL on 6th Mar 2011 8:09 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #7712696th Mar 2011 8:06 pm
Discotres

Scotland 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

This happened to me when the car was brand new and just had a hundred miles or so on it, I could not trust it, it kept going into limp mode, I ended up parking it in a car park nd left it for 6mths I was so Censored off with it. Anyway it turned out to be the Turbo, but that took over a year to sort out, the point I am making is that you can fall out and mistrust a car and it will affect you, so you have to decide when enough is enough.

By the way, I love mine now it is behaving, it is versatile and useful, not a lot can match it when it is working as it should Wink

Last edited by Discotres on 6th Mar 2011 8:20 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #7712756th Mar 2011 8:09 pm
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

Goffie01 wrote:
I was in the same boat 3 weeks ago . Had car 3.5 years loved it then a noise appeared from we think the diff. Quoted £6.5 K Crying or Very sad Now the proud owner of a brand new D4 Thumbs Up

A new diff is £750 so no idea where they got £6.5k from. Did they say what it was for.

Post #7712866th Mar 2011 8:18 pm
Goffie01

countrywide wrote:
Goffie01 wrote:

A new diff is £750 so no idea where they got £6.5k from. Did they say what it was for.

Can only presume it was gold plated Big Cry

Post #7712906th Mar 2011 8:21 pm
nigel207

Thanks folks for the quick replies.

The battery was a genuine one, and is still under warranty. I must admit that although it's the proper one, it might be the lower spec, rather than the HD one now fitted. I must check.

With regards to the smoke, it's only happened a couple of times I think, and there's no loss in power. For example, this morning I was towing the caravan, having just left the small site. It was then almost a mile of downhill and flat in a 30 MPH zone. I think there might have been a puff when I accelerated from the 30's, although it might just have been spray from the road surface as there was quite a lot of water on the road (that's how bad it is - just a tiny bit).

I was hoping to keep the car until September when I retire, and might treat myself to a new(er) vehicle, or indeed had it been ok, might have kept it longer.

It's a shame because we really do love it when it's going well (which realistically is most of the time). Perhaps I ought to use it more? I'm sure the turbo actuator gummed up because of a lack of use. I'm talking myself into getting it sorted aren't I?

I know what these vehicles are like when they work. Indeed, for my sins I have been a judge at a National Tow Car event for the past few years, buying the D3 on the back of it being the category winner for two years, and then the D4 being the overall winner in 2010. However, (sadly) my wallet does have a bottom in it. Oh, and by the way, I would have an auto next time, whatever it is.

Post #7713066th Mar 2011 8:34 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Keep it but buy a warranty!! Not suggesting you try and get pre-existing stuff done on it but it will help insulate you from the next thing, and the next, and the next, and...... Well you get the picture. Thumbs Up

Post #7713246th Mar 2011 8:51 pm
nigel207

DSL,

I think we're singing from the same hymn sheet! I've had everything done under warranty so far without question (LR and then Warranty Direct). That will run out on 31st March, so it will be interesting to see what their quote is this year. Last year it cost me £600 (well, well worth it) following their initial quote of £750.

The issue (so far) of getting the repairs done has not really been a problem. However, I'd rather not have the problems in the first place. But, I've got a LR..................

Post #7713446th Mar 2011 9:12 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Ah, reminds me the R in LR doesn't stand for Reliability!!

All of my "niggles" have been sorted out c/o LR, Tesco and WD. As your WD policy is due for renewal, have they quoted for that?? Just wondering if they renew for cars that have had a few payouts. Question

PS just properly read above that you are waiting for a quote!! Must read better. Embarassed

Post #7713506th Mar 2011 9:26 pm
nigel207

It's the wine! Just think if your other half had let you drink the lot Thumbs Up

Post #7713536th Mar 2011 9:30 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Or if I'd bought a second bottle!! Shocked Shocked

Post #7713566th Mar 2011 9:32 pm
prhutton

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I think lots of folk here appreciate where you are coming from!

I would suggest that the alternator is on its way out. I had the battery issue before Xmas and all the warning messages you mentioned. I replaced the battery and last week the alternator went pop - could be coincidence of course. Its in for a service now and having the discs replaced too - happy days.

Paul
 PRH  
Post #7713616th Mar 2011 9:36 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >