Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Have I bought the right spec?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Tiger

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
Have I bought the right spec?

I have ordered a Java Black TdV6 S Auto.

Reason for buying 'S' spec was that we set off to spend 15k on a Freelander and then looked at a Disco and then decided it might aswell have seven seats and air susp and then thought for the extra the 'S' spec was worth it but you also have to stop someehere.

We ordered the Auto for resale reasons and the car seems to make sense as an auto, neither my wife or I currently drive an auto.

We like black as they all seem to be silver.

That is where we stopped, now thinking are a few bits extra worth the money

Full Size spare £120 (I think if we can change the order we'll add this)

Is the Bluetooth phone stuff worth an extra £350?

What the hell is the cooler box?

Sat Nav £1530 surely a Tom Tom at £350 is better

Post #4737813th Mar 2006 9:07 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Did you consider Xenons? Worth every penny AFAIC

Post #4738013th Mar 2006 9:11 pm
Pelyma

England 

Your budget has to be the biggest factor. I wouldn't say an auto is a necessity although it is good. A full size spare is IMO a good idea and essential if you are likley to off road it. Tom tom would be a good compromise and it can be swapped between cars. BT is nice but won't anything to the resale. Basically you have an S and when you come to sell it it will be priced as an S even if you spend £2K on extras. Buy what meets your needs and fits your budget.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #4738213th Mar 2006 9:12 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I am sure you will be pleased with the car.
Full size spare = essential
BT Phone = Wish I had that.
Sat Nav, expensive, but good, but so is Tom Tom.
Get Xenon lamps.

Post #4738313th Mar 2006 9:14 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

If you added the standard sat-nav you may want to consider upgrading to the premium version. Yes it's another £500, yes you'll probably never use the off-road nav, yes the 4x4 info is a gadget (but a good one) but judging by the amount of people that have discussed it on here in the past it's money well spent for the voice control and extra on-road (TMC etc.) features alone. It can only be added at build time so don't regret it later!

I don't know whereabout in Surrey you are but if you're not too far your welcome to have a look at the gadgets in my D3 if it'll help you decide

Si

Post #4738613th Mar 2006 9:21 pm
DrLex

Iceland 

Pelyma wrote:
Basically you have an S and when you come to sell it it will be priced as an S even if you spend £2K on extras. Buy what meets your needs and fits your budget.

Amen to that! I'd only add that the extras you buy might make for an easier resale. Had leather been a £750 option when I bought my 'S', then I'd have picked and ticked it.
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #4738713th Mar 2006 9:22 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Very true, but I added over £3k's worth of extras on to my S but there again I got the D3 I wanted, resale value was (and is) irrelevant as I intend to keep it for quite a while.

There again I got about £4k off list price (12 months ago when discounts were rare) so all it all worked out Very Happy

Post #4739013th Mar 2006 9:27 pm
Tiger

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Slimer wrote:
I don't know whereabout in Surrey you are but if you're not too far your welcome to have a look at the gadgets in my D3 if it'll help you decide

Si

I'm in Egham and thanks for the offer, we took a HSE out so I saw all the toys. Resale isn't too much of an issue as this car is a keeper this was the justification for a 15k jump in budget.

I'm just thinking that we are spending that much that I don't want to regret not getting some of the factory options that can't be added later.

Problem is if we add the Sat Nav and the Xenons then Censored it lets just have an SE spec and then thats suddenly 20k more than we intended to spend.

Just don't want to regret not getting something

Post #4739213th Mar 2006 9:28 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

If your intending to keep it for a good while I'd consider stretching the budget and getting what you want then, don't forget some things can be added on later, accessories and full size spares from ebay etc.

Post #4739613th Mar 2006 9:32 pm
Ken

I agree with Slimer get Xenon’s the rest basically you add later, I use a TOMTOM in my golf its fantastic and you can add the plus options to get traffic info if you need. Not sure if the S has a heated screen if so you may need an gps receiver an extra £50.00 or so but if you read the forums there does seem to be a difference of opinion. All I can confirm is that with my “Road Angel” in my HSE I need an additional gps antenna

Post #4740713th Mar 2006 9:42 pm
randalls

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

there is some logic in getting more towards the base model - particularly if it's a keeper. everything electrical is harder to fix if there is some intermittent problem or more expensive if it fails outside warranty. Electric seats for instance - I would assume if this goes wrong outside warranty its going to cost a lot to replace- a mechanical seat less likely to go wrong & cheaper to replace. A lot of older top spec models cars end up with half their gadgets not working - because it's not economically viable to fix them. You are taking a logical route IMHO.
BTW my car is on a 3yr replacement cycle I would not go near a HSE otherwise....
 Bow downSheep 2007 TDV6 HSE 'Silver Lady'. With 'free' privacy glass LOL.
Taking the greenpi$$ is: Green taxing your citizens more & using some of the money to buy nukes.Bow downSheep 

Post #4741813th Mar 2006 9:52 pm
chippypip

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

We initially intended to get only an 'S', but when we took an 'SE' out for a drive and compared the interior (leather, the same as our outgoing D2), and the extras such as inbuilt sat-nav....

I eventually convinced my wife that the 'little' extra was worth it.

And it has Very Happy

Post #4742113th Mar 2006 9:59 pm
davesimmons

Canada 

We have a auto S 06MY and the only thing I wish i'd got were xenons, but at least I can add them at a later date, like some one said before, the more electronics the more to go wrong, what ever you decide on you'll love it!!

Post #4747513th Mar 2006 11:32 pm
Cliff H

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Tiger you should at least have a test drive in an S model as some people don't get on with the seat base, they find it very uncomfortable.

I have an S and have no problems with the seat.
Higher specs would always be "nice" to have but unless you really want to spend quite a few k more to get leather and sat nav (and a few other toys) I think that the S is a good compramise.

Agree about the xenons and if you don't want to pay LR for them there are other sources.

Don't stress about it though as any spec is going to feel great to drive Wink
 Zermatt silver 06 reg.

Gone but not forgotten !!! 

Post #4748513th Mar 2006 11:50 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SN

Like anything - you pay what you are prepared to pay to getthe toys you want/need. When I started out down the road of "I must have a D3" - I was looking at the 7-Seat and knew I was losing based on what I had before.

Once the salesman had done the sums, the S Auto came into range. I think it has everything essential, but you may feel different. I don't need leather. I don't need SAT NAV. I did want Auto Lights/Wipers. Heated seats and front windscreen are just great! I was offered a Silver D3 S Auto with Privacy Glass and PTI for an extra £700 - but said no enough is enough (SWMBO was happy... err... less unhappy... at this point).
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #4749414th Mar 2006 2:04 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >