Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Am I getting paranoid about my engine noise??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Cliff H

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Am I getting paranoid about my engine noise??

My TDV6 is now 3 weeks old and I am not sure if the engine is now noisier when accelerating (not hard)
I don't know if it is my imagination but the diesel (clatter) seems quite loud.
When cruising the car is silent which is why I think I am hearing the clatter more when accelerating.
The only thing I am comparing it to is my neighbors S type (TDV6) which seems a lot quieter with hardly any clatter.

Am I just getting paranoid.

I fell out with my local dealer when I had my TD4 and bought the 3 approx 25 miles away and don't have time to get over there and 'compare'.

Please tell me I am being paranoid please please please Laughing

Of course it is still a lot quieter than the TD4 especially at idle when the TD4 was terrible.

Post #2527529th Oct 2005 5:44 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LRtuning

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

The TDV6 engine are quite 'knocky' (my new word for the Oxford dictionary) when pulling hard at low rpm....but also check the exhaust system.... we have had ours replaced as the baffles had collapsed....we had this done under warranty without a fuss.

I had the same problem on a my VW Golf and it sounded like a metallic rattling noise from the engine.

Apparently when the exhaust systems are manufactured the baffles are spot welded inside by machine and there isnt really a way of quality controlling the welds satisfactorily!
 Money talks.Sex sells.Mud sticks.Time flys. Censored happens.People talk.Impressions last!  
Post #2528530th Oct 2005 10:22 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Stingray

Wales 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

I've had exactly the same feeling about engine noise, almost since taking delivery. It seems particularly 'clacky' when under light load (especially when cold) but disappears as the revs increase, and when cruising at low throttle opening. During medium to high speed cruising, the engine noise level is very low. When I had a loan D3 for a few days, the engine did seem quieter, but that was a manual and mine is an auto, so probably not a fair comparison. Now had the car for 6 months and 10,000, and I suppose I have just got used to it now, but I still wonder if it is normal. Do the 'symptoms' sound the same as yours, Cliff H?

Post #2529030th Oct 2005 3:29 pm
Cliff H

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hi Stingray
Yes exactly the same.
Mine too is an auto.
Just came back in the car, I think I am now making myself listen to it.
The car is so quiet in other ways.
Just tried all different revs standing still and all sounded lovely.
The symptoms are exactly the same.
I suppose the only way is to meet up with someone else and do a direct comparrison.

Post #2529230th Oct 2005 3:54 pm
transman

Ours has a slight "diesel knock" or audible detonation at light revs. This can be heard with the window down in a street with echo off houses. Inside the vehicle it can just be heard. This was the same in a Passat I had recently, and accepted it as just one of those diesel things. I`d rather it rattled a bit than sounded soft with no poke anyway !

Post #2529330th Oct 2005 3:59 pm
Stingray

Wales 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Cliff,

It sounds as though you are going through the same thought patterns as I did, especially the 'making yourself listen for it' routine. Irritating isn't it? It sometimes seems less obvoius, and I wonder if the fuel used and the weather conditions, humidity level, etc, might affect it in some way.

I think there are two separate issues: 1) Is there a problem, or is the sound just characteristic of the engine? 2) It is annoying!

I quite enjoy 'diesel noise' in some engines, but for some reason it doesn't sound right in this case. I've even had thoughts of changing to a V8, particularly now that there are such cracking deals available, and the LPG conversion route certainly sounds appealing.

Does anyone else feel the same??

Post #2529930th Oct 2005 6:07 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >