Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

I have given up after two years of breakdowns and expense
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
kingofthesparks

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

M3DPO wrote:
I can never understand people who say they have "lost" x pounds on a vehicle when they sell it, you have travelled 56000 miles in a luxury car and it has cost you £8000, ultimately you have not lost anything its purely the cost of travel.

How do you know he's done 56000 miles in it ?

Post #9519208th Jul 2012 12:56 pm
phildiver11

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I did 12000 miles in two years in it, it was not in heavy traffic it was normal town traffic i work early most days tide depending (commercial diver). In two years it spent about 5 weeks in the garage for brakes, parking brakes (twice) and complete clutch i also spent time on motoway hard shoulders too. I agree yes it may have been off road loads before i purchased it but it was owned previously by a woman in Sevenoaks (yes that is sexist sorry). I have to say that for someone to say you expect it if you drive 12 miles in town traffic a day is amazing. You are however right it was a wrong choice of car. It works out at 66p a mile depreciation by the way not including running costs and i was getting 29mpg in the manual whichcompared to a auto is pretty good (why i went for a manual btw). All of this is IMAO of course i have thrown all this out for discussion. Very Happy

Post #9519288th Jul 2012 1:48 pm
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

I'm beginning to wonder if these cars prefer to be worked hard and well serviced? 6,000 miles a year, of town traffic, is barely going to keep it lubricated! We often read of problems from people who don't use their cars very much?
Shocked

Post #9519638th Jul 2012 4:52 pm
Johnnytheboy

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I do 200+ miles a week mostly on fast road just going to work in mine & i love it, love it, love it. any vehicle will go wrong & cost you, Rolling Eyes lets not forget its a complex prestige 4x4 thats been over engineered, i think most of us are enthusiasts,
that sums it up Thumbs Up

Post #9519698th Jul 2012 5:13 pm
fat bloke

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Any make or model has problems check forums & every car looses money check What car.Mine crashed in value 3yrs ago my local dealer couldn't sell for luve or money got through by selling other smaller cars,decided to keep as nothing compares in two years after mine went up in value & only now loosing value but had 6good yrs and relative hassle free.You were perhaps unlucky but as others stated perhaps more harm than good stop/start chugging around city....

Post #9519908th Jul 2012 5:49 pm
MarkOne

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I think buying one knowing that I time it is going to cost you £££££ is the tip, don't think anyone in there right mind would by a D3 and think that is going to be a reliable tool especially a used one.

All that said a bit of care and mechanical sympathy and it will be no worse than a similar aged jap bus.

Post #9519918th Jul 2012 5:51 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
prhutton

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Its an interesting debate though. I recently binned my 06 D3 with 105k on the clock after 2 and a half years of regular component failure and not infrequent breakdowns. I bought it from a main dealer with a full dealer service history and maintained it above the requirements of the service schedule. That is the rub - despite paying good money to buy it and maintain it, the b*****d thing still broke down regularly. Of all the LRs and RRs I've had it was by far the worst.

So of course I replaced it with a D4 because as annoying as I found the D3, I couldn't find anything else to fit the bill. 2 weeks in it needs to go back because of the error message about only the normal height being available on the suspension. A new compressor no doubt. The engineering costs downs are still winning over build / component quality. This time however its all under warranty, so Censored factor of going back and forth to the dealer aside, the pain shouldn't be too bad.
 PRH  
Post #96083130th Jul 2012 10:53 pm
Dave T

England 

phildiver11 wrote:
The clutch cost £1300 on its own to replace,

A friend of mine recently had a clutch go on a BMW 1 series, that cost him over £900 to get that replaced, so £1300 isn't that much higher, although you should be able to get it done with flywheel and release bearing for about £1100 if you look about, or is that the London tax that pushes it up.

I wish I had only spent a couple of grand, I lost £9K in one problem Big Cry Big Cry but I still love it, best car I've ever had.
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #96086631st Jul 2012 7:17 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dangerdave

Admin note: post content removed at user request

Post #96087031st Jul 2012 7:50 am
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I seam to have made a slight mistake on my earlier post, reading 18000 as miles not £s.
On my first test drive with a D3 8 years ago it was with a manual, I could not get on with it, tried an auto and bought it, LR now seem to agree with me as I understand they no longer fit manual gearboxes, I still have the same car, would not swap it for anything, it's as good now if not better than when I bought it, and as for the parking brake I have not had any problems with it I think it's marvellous and one thing I would really miss.
One word of advice never buy a car that a woman has owned and driven, I have done it twice and each time I have regretted it due to bad or none maintenance. Once bought a RR off a lady she stated, "I have not spent a penny on it from new" and I believed her, it spent the next 3 months in the garage being serviced, I don't think the rear brakes had operated for 2years.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #96087531st Jul 2012 8:08 am
dangerdave

Admin note: post content removed at user request

Post #96088831st Jul 2012 9:04 am
fishinmad

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I don’t want to tempt fate to much but have been very pleased with my 55 reg ‘S’ auto 72k miles which I have had for 7 years now, while there have been a couple of large faults the main one that surprised me was the Prop shaft disintegrating and shearing in two just outside warranty (£700 thank you very much!).

It is expensive to run i.e. 23.5 mpg and the tyres which only seem to last 5 mins and cost north of £150 but I still love it and sort of knew I would be getting into this when I bought it (most of my shooting/fishing mates have switched from Range Rovers to D3’s and D4’s all are very pleased they made the switch).

In fact as I write this my D3 is on a transporter making its way back to the Nene Overland in the UK for it’s annual MOT and to have the timing belts changed (so no doubt another large bill coming my way!) but even so I am so pleased with my D3, so much so I am considering asking Nene Overland to sell it for me and a buy new D4 as now I am permanently in Spain and the fact that a brand new base model costs only £30k here.

I already miss it as having to do my daily commute to Gibraltar in my 53 reg BMW 525i with 234k miles on the clock (which of course has never so much as missed a beat other than the odd headlight bulb since it was new!).

If only LR innovation could be combined with German build quality!

Having said the above, I would love to go on a road trip from Southern Spain through some of the North African countries, however sadly I wouldn’t trust the D3 or D4 not to let me down, if I were ever do this I would buy a Toyota Land Cruiser, which I suppose defeats the object of owning a D3/4 with its incredible off-road capabilities.

Post #96102931st Jul 2012 5:02 pm
race.it

Spain 

out of interest how must does that trip back to nene overland cost you for the shipping?

Asking as I am around the corner from you, and trying to work out which is the best way to get my cars over here (one is not road legal, so can not drive that one)

I was thinking to use the disco with trailer to tow one down but then my trailer is here Sad

Post #96103431st Jul 2012 5:27 pm
therso

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

More than two years on dialysis. Hospital 3 x weekly. Live at the bottom of a steep hill & cul-de-sac. My D3? Worth every penny - never let me down Thumbs Up

Post #96105131st Jul 2012 6:23 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Think you just been unlucky .. Although apart from the clutch the rest arnt big issues .

Iv had 2 d3's and a D4 .

I do approx 1000 miles a week with work ... Have driven to Bulgaria and back 5 times (4200 mile round trip ) and I would buy another tommorow .

Yes I have had issues ... And an ongoing battery monitor issue with my D4 ... But I still think there great .

Oh ... And iv only missed one day off work due to car issues ( and that was my fault for messing !!!)
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #96107731st Jul 2012 7:55 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >