Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

I have given up after two years of breakdowns and expense
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
phildiver11

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
I have given up after two years of breakdowns and expense

I have owned a Discovery 3 for just over 2 years i will give you a breakdown of the breakdowns over that period. Rear latch broke on the rear split doors with muddy dog in the back. Parking brake failed while on holiday in Dorset. EGR valves both failed. Parking brake failed again while on the motorway rear shoes disintegrated in the hub melting rear disc on nearside. Dualmass flywheel went needing new flywheel, clutch and clutch release bearing. tracking went on front two new tyres and tracking redone . This was over a period of two years it never went off road and was driven mostly around town, it was serviced at the correct intervals. I have been driving for 35 years and have owned many vehicles but this was by far the most unreliable costly vehicle i have ever come across, the last resort was a strange humming sound starting to come from the front axle, yes you guessed it its now gone. On the plus side my local independant garage owner is now on first name terms with me.

I post this with a view of getting opinions of other owners was i unlucky i dont think so look around the forum and you will see hundreds of others that have had all the same faults. I have spent 1000's on the car and to cap it all the car also lost £8000 in depreciation in two years.

Post #9517497th Jul 2012 8:34 pm
nanobot

England 

sorry to hear, out of intertest what year/spec/mileage is it?

Post #9517517th Jul 2012 8:39 pm
Mr Kington

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

That sucks... think you have been unlucky. some cars never go wrong, others have issues after issues. Most people on here are clearly enthusiasts and will share their issues and daily gripes so i am sure it is not representative of all the d 3's on the road. Your story illustrates how warranty can help in some part. not sure how much of what you spent would have been covered but a thought. They are super cars but also super complex so do have more issues than most. My main gripe is how un-helpful landrover can be as a manufacturer and once the car is off their forecourt their interest factor is seemingly low. Do you have more info on your car ? age, mileage, the type of work it has been used for. All factors that influence wear and tear on the vehicle. For what is worth when i am in it with my family i feel a whole lot safer than when in a normal car, it does feel solid (until the front wheel bearing went and it felt shocking...) but you do feel safer in it.

Post #9517527th Jul 2012 8:40 pm
D4JWW

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Yours must been build on a Friday, D3 was't build for short journeys especially, poor designed egr valves, as the wise old DSL has said many a times you can't drive a D3 without extended warranty! I am happy with mine 7 months out of warranty! If we honest why a manual D3 in London?
 A few mods... and keeping it all running...Faultmate MSV2
MY09EGR's blanked Thanks Bellautos, BAS 

Post #9517537th Jul 2012 8:43 pm
J@mes

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

The epb, rear latch and EGR's are all well know faults, the clutch not so much but they do wear out.

It was 4 years old when you bought it, 6 years old now. I don't think it's out of the ordinary.

I've had way more issues than you in three years, and just quickly in my head I've spent around £7K in parts and labour outside of servicing and tyres.

I'm keeping it, it's awesome at everything. Bar being reliable! Thumbs Up
 2014 D4 XS
2005 D3 SE - Gone 

Post #9517637th Jul 2012 9:11 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Oi!!!! Less of the "old". Ner Ner

Laughing Laughing

Post #9517647th Jul 2012 9:12 pm
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Quote:
£8000 in depreciation in two years

What did you expect? Presumably you worked out the residual value before buying?

NJSS
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #9517677th Jul 2012 9:15 pm
phildiver11

The car was a 06 S model with lots of extras full leather walnut facia etc it was 18000 from a dealer in April 10 just got 9500 part exchange it had done 76000 when sold. The clutch went at 74000 it was never taken off road and had never towed anything, it was serviced regularly. It was used every day for 24 mile round trip commute to work. I lost all confidence in the car when the rear brakes failed on the motorway. With regards of depriciation the car lost 1500 in the last two months and over 8000 in just over two years, don't get me wrong i know all cars lose money its the reliability i was so disappointed with, every time it went wrong i was hit with "oh yeah this always goes on the disco" be it EGR valves going one after the other doors not opening or handbrakes failing. The clutch cost £1300 on its own to replace, the rear door went 2 weeks after i got the car yes i could have got the back door fixed with the 3 month warranty that came with the car but it would have taken over a week to get it fixed by the dealer i did that myself thanks to this forum.

Post #9517797th Jul 2012 9:46 pm
Discoed

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I think you have been unlucky.

I have now done 35k over three years in my 05 'S' and never once broken down (touches wood). I have spent lots on it in terms of fuel and service - preventative, consumable and 'nice' stuff like re-map and new wheels. So I don't think one can say D3's are not reliable, that is too much of a generalisation.

Post #9517847th Jul 2012 9:57 pm
phildiver11

I am not saying they are all like mine. But most of the faults i had seem to be very common.

Post #9517857th Jul 2012 10:05 pm
phildiver11

I've had way more issues than you in three years, and just quickly in my head I've spent around £7K in parts and labour outside of servicing and tyres.

I feel a little better 7K in three years beats my 2.5k in two years[/quote]

Post #9517867th Jul 2012 10:13 pm
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

to me it seems acceptable that those component would fail over a period of time given the short distances and enviroment you travel in (ie heavy traffic/short distances) using what is 2.5tons of 4X4.

likewise you're putting to much play on it " having not been off road" as being a reason why they should not fail whereas you bought the vehicle some 4 years after it was first registered and who knows what it might have been doing before you.

I would say driving a 6 years old manual 4X4 weighing 2.5tons around town and on 12 mile round trips to work and back would lead me to think it was more a case of bad car choice rather than reliability - but hey who I am to say Rolling with laughter

Post #9518097th Jul 2012 11:15 pm
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

As it's rare for people to post on here without problems, I thought I'd redress the balance:

My cars get quite hard daily use, usually full of heavy equipment and often driven all over Europe on time sensitive jobs. I bought a 2005MY D3 when it was one year old (everyone said I was mad) and ran it until 2011 and 106.000 miles. My D4 arrived in 2011 has now done 30,000 miles.

That's 136,000 miles of basically trouble free motoring. I've not been let down on a single days work and the only repair that was not performed under warranty was a front drivers side wheel bearing which had started to make a noise.

After a string of Volvo's and Mercs I couldn't be happier with LR. Admittedly, they can be expensive to run, but it's the first car I've owned in years that still makes me smile, and that's worth paying for after a 700 mile dash to work!

(Yes I know I've probably jinxed it - but I'm not superstitious)

Post #9518127th Jul 2012 11:21 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I can never understand people who say they have "lost" x pounds on a vehicle when they sell it, you have travelled 56000 miles in a luxury car and it has cost you £8000, ultimately you have not lost anything its purely the cost of travel.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #9518708th Jul 2012 10:01 am
chalky

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I've got the following to say about all the whinging and wining that's going on lately !

If you want the reliability of a luxury 4X4 that doesent let you down and when on the odd accasion that it does it is remedied by a warranty and a replacement vehicle get your hand in your pockets and spend upwards of £50k !

I will reiterate what CC has said above, not a sniff of a glitch ! Minimum commute to work 210 miles each way maximum try Italy, Madrid, Courcheval, Sweden !

M3DPO ! Thumbs Up
Exactly that !

OP try KIA !

We've had a landmark at work recently ! I pity the poor sole who buys that !
Likewise our new 8 Speed ! Off road every day !
As a potential second hand buyer you aren't to know that yesterday it was pulled out of a forest by a tractor ! And it's jet washed to within an inch of its twice daily !
That's not doing the electrics any good !
 Only dead fish go with the Flow !  
Post #9519028th Jul 2012 11:53 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >