Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Am I making a mistake in buying a new disco3?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
ricric

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Am I making a mistake in buying a new disco3?

Hi, Yesterday I ordered and paid a deposit on a new Disco3 HS. I only dicovered this board in the evening and am a bit concerned about the tales of technical problems (esp. suspension) that I have now seen.

Am I making a big mistake in buying a disco3. I can withdraw from the purchase but would almost certainly lose my £1,000 deposit.

Reassurance or advice would be most welcome.

Post #2994627th Nov 2005 9:50 am
adam

United Kingdom 

This will probably be the first of many responses you will get
The car is fantastic - I have had 3 faults in 9 months - all fixed OK by the dealer
This site is fantastic - but can sometimes be like reading a medical encylopedia if you know what I mean
As I said before - I have had mine for 9 months now and never regretted once parting with my own cash - I love, Kids love it
Great for ferrying around 7 people or long distance blasts from home to London and back in superb comfort
Rest assured - you have made a good decision Smile
 Now Golf GTI PP, 7 speed DSG.
Ex D3 and D4 

Post #2994727th Nov 2005 9:57 am
ricric

Adam, Many thanks for your fast reply and reassurance. My wife thinks it's a bit too bit but I loved it on the test drive and it will fit in a good deal of our extended family (plus pull a bit caravan - I realise that may be a bit too nerdy for this site). I've also gone for silver and ebony which should look v smart. Cheers

Post #2994827th Nov 2005 10:04 am
jeff

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Hi Ricric
My car is now exactly a year old and has covered 13,000 fault free miles. It has hugely impressed me throughout the year in some challenging driving situations and I would really miss it. I can think of nothing else I've driven that does so much so well, so congratulations on your order, prepare to be impressed Thumbs Up
Jeff
 D3 TDV6SE
Defender 110 V8 lpg

www.carlyonbay.net
www.thepavillioncarlyonbay.co.uk 

Post #2994927th Nov 2005 10:05 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

ricric wrote:
Adam, Many thanks for your fast reply and reassurance. My wife thinks it's a bit too bit but I loved it on the test drive and it will fit in a good deal of our extended family (plus pull a bit caravan - I realise that may be a bit too nerdy for this site). I've also gone for silver and ebony which should look v smart. Cheers

Caravan Question Nerdy Question certainly not! You have bought wisely sir. The D3 is quite simply the best tow car money can buy. I have Silver/Ebony and it still looks (almost) perfect after 1 year and 30000 miles, including 4 off-road trips.

I have had suspension problems early on, but I have had no issues since 8000 miles.

The dealers can be testing at times, but I get the feeling that things are coming together now, and the dealers are catching up with the technology.

The car is the best.

Post #2995027th Nov 2005 10:09 am
ricric

Thanks and 2005 / 2006?

Gareth, jeff,

Thanks for the encouragement.

The dealer told me he is not calling the car down from the factory. I have just read a bit about 2005 and 2006 models. Do you know the difference (for an automatic 2.7 HS?) Would / should I be getting the 2006 model now?

Post #2995127th Nov 2005 10:17 am
adam

United Kingdom 

As I said - first of may replies!!
Sit back, relax and enjoy
What colour & trim have you ordered?
Also I hope you really enjoy the free LR experience - I did
Ex D3 and D4 

Post #2995227th Nov 2005 10:19 am
adam

United Kingdom 

Doh!!
Ignore last question on colour and trim
More time reading, less time writing Embarassed
Ex D3 and D4 

Post #2995327th Nov 2005 10:21 am
ricric

Yoy should worry. It shows how new I am to disco's when I see I wrote HS when I actually meant SE... Smile

Post #2995427th Nov 2005 10:32 am
gavmurray

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Re: Thanks and 2005 / 2006?

ricric wrote:
Gareth, jeff,

Thanks for the encouragement.

The dealer told me he is not calling the car down from the factory. I have just read a bit about 2005 and 2006 models. Do you know the difference (for an automatic 2.7 HS?) Would / should I be getting the 2006 model now?

You should get your dealer to confirm that it's the 06 model that you want and not the 05 model that may have been sitting around in the depo. I'm not sure what the difference is between a 05 and 06 with SE spec. (I have a HSE 06 model), but the 06 model being built now should have most of the bugs found on the 05 model fixed. If it's an 05 model you want or are getting then the dealer should be giving you a good discount. LR help the dealer by passing on a good discount. I think it's around £1,000 to £1,500. However, even on a new 06 model, you should be able to get yourself £2,000 off a new model. Have a look at the Whatcar target price. http://www.whatcar.com/Car_review_equipmen...;RT=210999 On top of that you should still be able to get extras for free.
 Gavin.
06, D3 TDV6 HSE, Buck Blue 

Post #2995827th Nov 2005 11:51 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ricric

I have a pretty good discount, which makes me wonder if it is a 2005 model year rather than 2006. I'll ask but I was wondering if there is any way of telling from the chassis number which I have?
 Zambezi Silver SE / Ebony Leather  
Post #2996627th Nov 2005 1:54 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I think the 05 SE has Bi Xenon headlamps as standard. The 06, they are optional.

Post #2996827th Nov 2005 2:38 pm
ricric

Well I think mine has the bi-Xenon so that would make it 2005 but then the Landrover web site currently shows bi-Xenon as standard wth the SE. Of ocurse I'm not sure if the LR site is trying to show the 05 or 06 model details, there isn't enough info on the web site.

I'm not actually sure I could change the order at this stage but as I've got over £3k off, I think I it may not be too bad a deal?
 Zambezi Silver SE / Ebony Leather  
Post #2997027th Nov 2005 2:46 pm
Andy4467

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Hi,

I ordered an SE manual last week, and consequently found this site the next day!!!!!!!!!!!
However I asked for a detailed order spec and received an "Order Detail Report". this gives a list of everything fitted to the vehicle and it also quotes model year - mine being a 2005 build. I expected this to be the case as the car was in stock and I got a great price. I specifically wanted the xenons which seem to be an option on new 2006 cars.
I also have my concerns after reading the posts on here, the overall position seems that even though some problems have appeared the owners are still happy with the cars and that is good enough for me. If I could be bothered I would trawl all the different forums to see if they have a similar percentage of complaints about Merc, VW, Volvo etc.
I could cancel my order and lose £500 but what would I buy, I tried a Pathfinder T-spec but the ride, feel and general build qualtiy wasn't in the same league. I know the Disco was more expensive, but the pathfinder should have been £10000 cheaper before discount/deals etc.
So disco it is! - with fingers crossed.
I'm just looking forward to collecting the car now.

Post #2997927th Nov 2005 5:19 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

people... don't worry about your rides. Most of us here have had nearly a years worth of trouble free motoring - only issue I had since last Jan was the faulty coolant level sensor (you can see it OK by looking at the bottle) and that is a known issue with a faulty batch.

Enjoy and remember that ALL vehicles have issues. The D3 no more than any other and probably less than most these days. LR have made enormous strides in build quality since the last Disco was designed and launched.

I trust her completely !

Post #2998527th Nov 2005 5:54 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >