Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Am I missing something?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
nigelc

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Am I missing something?

I don't understand where Land Rover are coming from these days.

I have fairly well-used (and generally reliable) D3. I love it for its incredibly flexible carrying capacity (people/things), its comfort on very long journeys, its go-anywhere ability and the fact that I can get a double air bed in with rows 2&3 folded. TDV6 2.7 is powerful enough for me. I am not a hardcore off-roader, nor am I interested in tearing round A roads on 20" wheels and a re-mapped performance boost. I am an outdoors pursuits person and like the fact that the D3 extends the envelope of where I can get to. I wouldn't be seen dead in an X6, X5, Cayenne or Q7 (possibly a Taureg)

Last week I was climbing a track in the French Pyrennees, and possibly unwisely tried to squeeze between some boulders rather than climbing over them and even on 17" wheels managed to scratch the rims. My point is even if I stumped up for a basic GS D4 with a few key extras, it's still fatally compromised by those 19" wheels. Believe me, where I was last week would have made a mess of 19" alloy rims and 55 profile tyres, even if the tyre walls were tough enough. And how do you deflate 55 profiles to get traction on sand - do they not sell any in the Middle East? (Oh and why no Winter pack - have to order HSE to get rear heated seats - no chance)

I can only conclude I am in a very small minority of potential D4 buyers. Looks like I have to wait for "County" version of next defender.

Post #7421296th Jan 2011 1:04 pm
bigcarpchaser

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Because "Most" Disco's will never go off road and will only ever be used on the school run.
Flog your 19's and get some 17/18's with some ATR/AT2/MTR's, give the kids in the back a blanket.
Job done Thumbs Up
 Welcome "Lola" Smile  
Post #7421316th Jan 2011 1:12 pm
MogulBoy

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

UK-market specifications do tend to be quite curious and generally overtly luxurious as Land Rover attempt to move the Disco upmarket ready for it to be re-launched as a 7 seat Range Rover (if you believe many of the posts on here)....

I've got an order in for a Euro spec D4 SE that will come with no satnav or fancy HiFi, and cloth seats but I have been able to specify 2nd row seat heating and even 2nd row climate controls!

The 19" wheel issue is somthing else though..

Post #7421326th Jan 2011 1:17 pm
MrH

United Kingdom 

Never had any problems running 19" wheels in rocks and sand in Tunisia and this time I was on bog standard Pirelli Skorpions, not ATRs or 18" AT2 and still managed fine with airing down for soft sand conditions (down to 10-15 PSI at one time).

Yes I did have 2 punctures, not the tyres/wheels fault, but the drivers in each case, I watched the outside edge and forgot to look at what I was heading for with the inside edge Embarassed
 LRs are a fond memory, apart from the maintenance.  
Post #7421506th Jan 2011 2:09 pm
nigelc

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

bigcarpchaser wrote:
Because "Most" Disco's will never go off road and will only ever be used on the school run.
Flog your 19's and get some 17/18's with some ATR/AT2/MTR's, give the kids in the back a blanket.
Job done Thumbs Up

But that's the point - you can't fit 17 or 18" wheels to D4

Post #7421676th Jan 2011 2:32 pm
bigcarpchaser

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Embarassed

Out of interest then, I presume it's the brake calliper it fouls is it? How much by?
Anyone brave enough to try some Zu rims to see if they squeeze on?
 Welcome "Lola" Smile  
Post #7421716th Jan 2011 2:46 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

MrH wrote:
Never had any problems running 19" wheels in rocks and sand in Tunisia:

Apart from getting stuck!!! Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Whistle Thumbs Up

Though in the interest of fairness did get stuck myself one or twice, once in the lunch time car park! Embarassed Embarassed

Post #7421736th Jan 2011 2:55 pm
MrH

United Kingdom 

nigelc wrote:

Neither would I have choosen to - Bear in mind I previously had a basic D3 with 17"wheels and I took 18" AT2 last year and choose not to use them again. My tyre of choice now being 19" ATRs - but as the skorpions were on their way out, I choose to use those and bin them on my return to the UK, and keep my good ATRs to get me throught the British Winter.

Yes DSL, I did get stuck a couple of times, seem to remember most of us did at some point or another Laughing . However, I do have the excuse of "playing with my knob" on this trip seeming as it was the first time I'd done any serious off-road with TR. So quite a few, if not most, of my delays in progress were indeed due to driver f**k-ups with settings and erm not watching where he was going Embarassed But hey, who cares I'd go again tomorrow if I could Laughing
Post #7423506th Jan 2011 8:35 pm
nigelc

MrH wrote:
nigelc wrote:

Neither would I have choosen to - Bear in mind I previously had a basic D3 with 17"wheels and I took 18" AT2 last year and choose not to use them again. My tyre of choice now being 19" ATRs - but as the skorpions were on their way out, I choose to use those and bin them on my return to the UK, and keep my good ATRs to get me throught the British Winter.

Yes DSL, I did get stuck a couple of times, seem to remember most of us did at some point or another Laughing . However, I do have the excuse of "playing with my knob" on this trip seeming as it was the first time I'd done any serious off-road with TR. So quite a few, if not most, of my delays in progress were indeed due to driver f**k-ups with settings and erm not watching where he was going Embarassed But hey, who cares I'd go again tomorrow if I could Laughing

Getting stuck is not the issue - its going to happen sometimes - its just that with 55 profile tyres the soft alloy rim has that much less protection than with a more rounded 70 profile. If that means on a normal trip you are reluctant to go "off piste" for fear of getting punctures (don't have room for an extra spare on top of the kitchen sink) then defeats whole object of a car like D3/4.

At very least I'd need to see evidence from an LR Experience day to see D4 being abused on rock crawl before considering buying one.

Post #7424676th Jan 2011 10:25 pm
MrH

United Kingdom 

Nigel, I know where you are coming from and yes I agree the 17 or 18 wheels potentially offer a bit extra protection due to the larger tyre wall, but basically it boils down to how worried you are about scratching the alloys - the 19" wheels have never stopped me going off piste in either D3 or D4 regardless of whether I carried 1 or 2 spare wheels/tyres. Yes I do have a few minor scratches in one or two of my wheels, but then I view my vehicle as a working vehicle capable of going offroad as well as a motorway cruiser, so am willing to accept these. It was different when I had my Audi S4 , then I was very carefull and wanted shiney unmarked wheels.

It comes down to what you want from the vehicle and your own opinion as to what's acceptable - and that god we still have some freedon of choice left to us in the country; well at the moment Laughing
Post #7427377th Jan 2011 12:38 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

MrH wrote:
But hey, who cares I'd go again tomorrow if I could Laughing

Me too!! All this rain is making me miss the sand, and the snow! Big Cry

Post #7427837th Jan 2011 1:44 pm
powella

Australia 2007 LR3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackLR3

FWIW there are some interesting threads on people considering changing brake calipers to the D3 ones....

That way the 17"s will fit. Also I think the Commercial TDV6 still has the smaller brakes....

Not sure what legal or insurance concerns may arise in different countries! But it is an "interesting" alternative if one must have 17's.

Cheers,
AP
 2007 Discovery 3 HSE TDV6, Java Black. Towing a Kimberley Karavan... somewhere...  
Post #7435378th Jan 2011 9:05 pm
Ted Newman

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 4

[quote="nigelc"][quote="MrH"]
nigelc wrote:
At very least I'd need to see evidence from an LR Experience day to see D4 being abused on rock crawl before considering buying one.

I'll have a look for that next week - going to the Ashford Centre on Tuesday.
 LR Discovery 4 XS pulling an Airstream 532 Caravan also own (since new) a 1996 MGF  
Post #7435418th Jan 2011 9:13 pm
blade74

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

There are some people here in Australia on the aulro website who have found some 18"s to fit onto that model over the massive brake calipers....
I know it's only one inch smaller but it does give a lot more choice in tyre and a little cheaper to purchase Tyres.
Plus a wee little bit more profile.
I've been keeping my eye on the post.... Shocked Thumbs Up
 Disco 4 SE
Honda CRF450X 

Post #7436248th Jan 2011 10:58 pm
mowog

Australia 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 4

The post on 18" wheels.

There is a photo of a RRS with the rims fitted and a set of mud tyres. In the thread you will find the brand of the wheel being supplied and for you guys in the UK it should be good news.

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/d3-d4-rrs/105896...-here.html
 Discovery 4 SE Long range fuel tank Kaymar Rear Bar.
Mini Inspired by Goodwood
Mini JCW Clubman
Lotus Trooper Off Road Caravan

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mowog/ 

Post #7436488th Jan 2011 11:32 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >