DISCO3.CO.UK > Wheels & Tyres

Do I need to get snow chains?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
bubbleheadjack

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3
Do I need to get snow chains?

Evening All...

I thinking of doing a mad 72hr 'Visit' to see the Wife in Chamonix, ( She's working as a Dr at the Army Ski Champs)... Just looking at various websites ref what equipment is required in Europe, and it says (according to the AA) that Snow chains are to be carried and fitted IAW local regulations and warning signs. Could anyone shed any light on this.. I have a set of Goodyear Wrangler M + S (don't know what that bit means) 255 60 R18's having done 10K mies.. Which ones are the best to get and how much should I be looking at paying?... In todays impatient world I'm leaving on FRi onboard the 0615 ferry from Dover and live in Plymouth, where would be best to get them?

Any info is greatly appreciated.. Nick
 Disco 3 '08.5 XS Rimini Red, Driving Lights. Sadly sold, but still for sale in Ireland Wink

Defender 110 XS in Oslo blue, awaiting some TLC and a good trip somewhere 

Post #40238514th Jan 2009 10:24 pm
90BHP

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

M+S = Mud and Snow - in some areas this is enough. From a need point of view - you probably don't need any. From a legal POV - then they may be required. DiscoDunc or one of the many others who have used them will be along to give you the in's and outs of wheel spacers, brands, fitting, costs etc . . .

You may even get to borrow a set Thumbs Up
 "To finish first, one first has to finish ...."  
Post #40240314th Jan 2009 10:35 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 

Don't change for the sake of it, try and borrow some chains if you can, I think the AA or the like will hire you some.

If you are in need of tyres a very good choice would be the 255/60x18 General AT2 which are a great all round tyre, we keep these in stock and you have to pass my door to get from Plymouth to Dover, or you may find a tyre shop closer to your home but you have left it a little late.

If I can be of help give me a call in the morning on 01737 241370, we are just off Junction 8, M25.

Feel free to phone for advice and good luck with your "MAD 72HR VISIT"

Andy.

Post #40249015th Jan 2009 12:24 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

You'll not need to leave the Autoroute if going all the way to Chamonix and chains are usually forbidden on the Route Blanche. Different story if you're turning off for the resorts in the vicinity of Cham. I've done a few mad weekend dashes across to Les Contamines (that's where the Army usually hold their champs), which is about 40 mins from Chamonix itself. If that's where you're going say hello to Danny in Le Husky and buy him a beer from me - it's his birthday in a couple of weeks and for once we won't be out there for it. The chaps in green can usually be found in there Thumbs Up

If you are going to Les Contamines / Megeve or in that vicinity the Gendarmes do check for chains between La Fayet and St Gervais if the weather has closed in. If you have a "professional" looking 4x4 they tend to wave you through, but if it's pretty standard you have a 50/50 chance of getting pulled. Previous years I've done it in the L200 and in my old D3 (which had RAI, expo rack etc) and have been waved on, but a following "street" D3 was tugged and had his first day of the holiday ruined as they wouldn't let him proceed without the chains. Try buying a low-profile chain for a D3 in rural France on a Friday evening...... Sad

These chaps are pretty good for a usable chain for Ski holiday use. It won't get you through an offroad course, but it will be more than adequate for satisfying les flics.

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/snowhome.html

EDIT: And Andy is right, the AT2 is cracking fresh snow Thumbs Up
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #40250515th Jan 2009 1:03 am
bubbleheadjack

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

AJS 4x4 & No Do$h...

Thanks for your advice... Had to take a ' rain check' (or would it be a No-Snow) and cancel the Mad visit.. Wifey is working or doing some 'Meet the Mayor Bash' (Pongo Wining & Dining) on both nights... FAO No Do$h ... Passed on the hello to Danny... Wifey was in the bar last night but will be in again (Too busy, working ... yeah right) Will spend a little more time planning the next one and thanks for the link to the snow chains... will research and investigate a little better.

Many thanks Nick...
 Disco 3 '08.5 XS Rimini Red, Driving Lights. Sadly sold, but still for sale in Ireland Wink

Defender 110 XS in Oslo blue, awaiting some TLC and a good trip somewhere 

Post #40261615th Jan 2009 11:33 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

over on Freel2, one of the Denmark members found some "snow belts"

They look to work well on the youtube clip on the following thread and are easy to put on.

And they are reletivly cheap too, link in the thread to a UK seller

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic2942.html

Post #40264915th Jan 2009 12:47 pm
ad15

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

tyresocks are just as effective, and way cheaper too, if you try driving above chamonix towards argentiere and the weather is bad they'll pull you there too

Post #40270215th Jan 2009 2:20 pm
NJF

NoDo$h wrote:
Les Contamines

Thanks, ND, that's where we ski each year. Never been stopped, but I suppose we'd better pick up a set of chains.

Post #40305915th Jan 2009 10:47 pm
JF Lux

Luxembourg 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

NJF wrote:
NoDo$h wrote:
Les Contamines

Thanks, ND, that's where we ski each year. Never been stopped, but I suppose we'd better pick up a set of chains.

NJF - LR Lux hire them for a couple of euro a day.
 The next American ex-pat that calls it a "truck" is going to find out what 2.7 tons feels like on their foot...

Club "yes, I too have had the EGR's replaced..."
Club "yes, I too have had the compressor replaced..."
Club "yes, I too once had the car at the dealer for a couple of weeks nearly 4 weeks over 4 weeks...5 weeks"
Club "yes, I too have had EPB failure..."
Club "yes, I too get mysterious bings and bongs..." 

Post #40321716th Jan 2009 8:29 am
davesimmons

Canada 

Hi, we are off to Austria skiing, does any one know if I must have snow chains. I have AT 2's fitted are they a winter tyre Confused

Dave.
 Welcome to the Global Warming Corner.  
Post #40340316th Jan 2009 2:11 pm
NJF

JF Lux wrote:
NJF - LR Lux hire them for a couple of euro a day

This site is great for tips. I will reserve some tomorrow when I wander down to collect the car after its service (and to nose about the new stock Whistle )

Post #40359616th Jan 2009 7:52 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

When are you off to LesC NJF? We'll be driving down on Feb 13th, stopping in Dole overnight then pushing on to hit the slopes by midday on the 14th.
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #40564120th Jan 2009 12:30 am
wvlenthe

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

@davesimmons

You don't *need* to carry chains to Austria if you don't want to.
On various routes and during heavy snowfall chains *can* be made obligatory. When this is the case, it will be clearly indicated (signs) and you may *not* proceed without chains.

So it's a matter of 'do you feel lucky'. Depending on your exact destination, you need to make the choice. Personally, I'd rather lend/rent them for the trip than take the risk.

Oh and also worth noting: if you don't have winter tyres on your car and you are having an accident, you may run into insurance problems. You can/will be held liable even if you were run into instead of running into.

Have fun there!

regards,

Wiljo

Post #40616320th Jan 2009 8:25 pm
ad15

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

on the austria front, it became law last year there that you must have winter rated tyres in winter months, cannot recollect the exact months but jan feb are definitely included..

the innsbruck police had a field day with tourists and the back pocket fining that goes on so much there..

Post #40622420th Jan 2009 9:13 pm
davesimmons

Canada 

ok, will my AT2'S, that are marked mud and snow be looked on as a winter tyre Confused
 Welcome to the Global Warming Corner.  
Post #40628820th Jan 2009 10:07 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >