Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Do I need a new battery?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
MrH

United Kingdom 

Finally got it sorted after buying a new charger and re-vitalising the battery following TFC's recommendations on what charger and charge rate - Cheers TFC Thumbs Up
 LRs are a fond memory, apart from the maintenance.  
Post #39436730th Dec 2008 2:56 pm
dealmaker

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

I'd still be wary of the iPod - heard stories of them draining batteries - our Audi Q7 with factory iPod dock, loses charge over about 5 days if I leave the iPod as the selected media prior to turing off the vehicle - supposedly a common fault according to a VAG technician I know.

Post #3950601st Jan 2009 12:10 am
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

MrH wrote:
Finally got it sorted after buying a new charger and re-vitalising the battery following TFC's recommendations on what charger and charge rate - Cheers TFC Thumbs Up
No worries mate Thumbs Up  
Post #3950641st Jan 2009 12:18 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
10forcash

dealmaker wrote:
I'd still be wary of the iPod - heard stories of them draining batteries - our Audi Q7 with factory iPod dock, loses charge over about 5 days if I leave the iPod as the selected media prior to turing off the vehicle - supposedly a common fault according to a VAG technician I know.
you gotta remember that VAG is the first three letters of a gynaecological term for a derogatory slang word.... Wink and can also be followed by ...e rot to describe the Q7 Mr. Green  
Post #3950651st Jan 2009 12:23 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
andychelt

United Kingdom 

phoned my FBH this morning, went out 25 mins later and was dismayed to find it not going.

Tried to start Disco and it was almost dead! Shocked Embarassed

So took him out for a run,and did a bit up the motorway. Using the "753" code for satnav it told me my battery was +13.5V from pretty much when I started Disco to coming off the Mway and to my drive.

As soon as I switched off this dropped to 12V+ and after a minute or 2 resetting the clock on the FBH Timer it was at 11.5V+.

Is this good or bad Question

I'm just at the minute trying to work out whether to buy a new battery or a cheap little charger.

It doesnt suprise me that the battery is low that much as most of my journeys are only a few miles and I do like my comforts (read FBH, Heated Seats, Heated Screen Laughing ) but I don't want to buy a new battery if it just needs charging and vice versa although I suppose a cheap little charger would be useful even if I bought a new battery.

Post #3952561st Jan 2009 5:50 pm
MrH

United Kingdom 

Andy, might be able to help - sent details in PM, speak to you soon Thumbs Up
Post #3952681st Jan 2009 6:11 pm
drivesafe

Australia 

Hi Andy, you pretty well answered your own question as far as the battery charger goes.

Because of your driving habits, even if you get a new battery, it would still be advantageous to get a battery charger to maintain the new battery in a good state of charge and a small charger would fine.

On another point, 13.5 seems a low voltage reading and if it’s correct, especially as it’s cold over there at this time, you would not be fully charging your battery at that voltage, no matter how long you drove for.

As to what electrical devices you had on while driving, even at idle, a D3 alternator can put out close to 50 amps ( as do most modern large alternators ) so while driving, you would easily be producing enough current to operate everything and still be able to charge your battery, that is, if the voltage is high enough.

To fully charge your battery, you would need at least 14.5 volts on a cold day and at 13.5 volts, your battery would not be getting much of a charge at all because you need a charge voltage of at least 1 volt higher than the State of Charge ( SoC ) voltage of the battery, to be able to raise the SoC of the battery and in colder climates, it needs to be even higher than 1 volt.

In other words, if your D3 was only producing 13.5v then the highest you are going to be able to get your battery’s SoC is 11.5 to probably 11.8v.

Before you do anything about the battery, the next time you are going to start the D3, use a multi meter and measure the voltage at the battery terminals just before you start the D3 and then as soon as the motor is running.

Then once the motor has been running for about 15 minutes, take another reading. This should give you an idea if the alternator is actually putting out enough voltage.

NOTE, in a D3, with a fully charged battery, after driving some time and with the motor still running, voltage readings as low as 13.2 are normal, BUT only if the battery is fully charged.
 2008 TDV8 RR Lux + 2009 D4 2.7  
Post #3952751st Jan 2009 6:23 pm
10forcash

The nav. screen diagnostics only report bus voltage in 0.5V increments, not actual charge voltage at the battery terminals, 'Driving' the vehicle will support all loads but sitting in a traffic queue at low revs will not.

Post #3953171st Jan 2009 9:21 pm
MrH

United Kingdom 

Have arrange for Andy to drop by tomorrow and I'll go through with him what I did to get ours back up and running - so fingers crossed his'll be sorted shortly too Wink
Post #3953201st Jan 2009 9:25 pm
10forcash

Thumbs Up

Post #3953221st Jan 2009 9:30 pm
MrH

United Kingdom 

Good to meet Andy this morning, glad I was able to help him, and yes we basically confirmed he's killed his battery due to doing short journeys, same as I did. Hopefully though he'll be able to recover the battery same as I did when he gets himself the new charger.

Here's the link Andy: http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=125304 - knowledge and charger details courtesy of TFC & Drivesafe of course. Wink
Post #3955082nd Jan 2009 1:30 pm
andychelt

United Kingdom 

Thumbs Up thx again MrH, good to meet another forum member especially one so helpful! Bow down

Glad to give it a check over just to confirm that it is indeed me slaughtering the battery Whistle

With any luck i'll recover the battery and everything will be 8) again! Thumbs Up

Post #3955392nd Jan 2009 3:25 pm
MrH

United Kingdom 

Glad to be of help Thumbs Up

Here's some links to a few events you might want to look at:

Next Area Meet,
Learn how to drive off road at the D3 Driver Training event and,
Join in a Nav Challenge or visit the Boughrood site

At all 3 you'll find more like minded peeps, all willing to help and/or take the p!ss Whistle

Hopefully see at one or two over the next year Thumbs Up
Post #3955442nd Jan 2009 3:43 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

I bought one of these CTEK chargers to restore my yellow top.

a bit cheaper than the draper charger.. and I got mine for £20 from COSTCO Thumbs Up

http://www.powersuppliesonline.co.uk/produ...efault.htm
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #3955482nd Jan 2009 3:48 pm
andychelt

United Kingdom 

DiscoDunc wrote:
I bought one of these CTEK chargers

I do like the look of that charger Dunc (not just because of the price Whistle) but I like the fact it comes with the quick connectors to attach up to the battery permanently so is just a simple plug in and charge so to speak. (could possibly even lengthen that quick connector to somewhere to reach without lifting the bonnet ie. the grill)

Also it seems simple enough for even me to work out "XS 3600 is easy to use, you do not need to make any settings" Wink

Only thing is from what I understand the first initial charge on a bit of a drained out battery should be a higher Ah rating than the battery and I don't think the ctek has selectable Ah?

Still for that price might be worth a punt.. Wink

Post #3958793rd Jan 2009 1:24 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >