Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Do I need these options?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
jwblue

United States 
Do I need these options?

I am building an LR4 for use in the United States.

One of the options is a "Heavy Duty Package" which includes an active locking rear differential. I am not sure I need it. What would it be useful for? I would not be off-roading a lot. The package also includes a full-size spare tire and alloy wheel.

The cost of the package is £465. Cost is not a big issue, but I don't want to buy something I don't need.

What about the "Vision Assist Package."? It includes: Xenon Headlamps, Adaptive Front Lighting (AFS), Automatic High Beam Assist (AHBA), Tow Hitch Assist, Tow Assist and Surround Camera System.

What does the tow assist do? If I want a tow hitch, do I need the tow assist?

What about the surround camera system? How useful is it? Something to consider is I live in the United States where there is a lot more driving space than in most countries. I have driven an SUV for 20 years (1994 Nissan Pathfinder). Is the LR4 so significantly bigger to the point that I need a camera system?

Are the brighter lights for off-roading?

The cost of the package is £1,116.

How about the 480W harman/kardon® LOGIC7® AM/FM single slot CD player with 14 speakers (includes Portable Audio Interface). Is the portable audio interface for a cell phone or music player? Is the stereo a lot better than the standard one?

The cost of that package is £558.

Post #71523012th Nov 2010 12:03 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Vision assist Package Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Audio Package Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Heavy Duty Package, I would, but sounds like you don't need to if you're not going to off-road it much. Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #71532812th Nov 2010 11:00 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mwestcrew

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

For me the adaptive Xenons are a must.

I have the camera system and they do have their uses but are mostly a toy.

Tow Assist works in conjunction with a target on the trailer, and predicts and graphically displays on the screen what the trailer will do as you turn the steering to help you reverse.

With a full camera package the rear view camera can be set to help you hitch up a trailer by showing the hitch on the screen and it then shows the predicted path of the hitch relative to steering. It also auto zooms as you get close to the trailer. Very good feature to hitch up single handed which I do a lot.

Locking rear diff.....IMHO a waste of money. I had it fitted in my D3 and the car was completely stuck a number of times before it even engaged. If the traction control can't sort out a hazard then you are stuck. Frequent off-roaders only really.
 2011 D4 Landmark, Mini Cooper SD Clubman, Range Rover Vogue SE  
Post #71534212th Nov 2010 11:46 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Discodeeva

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Keep your money! The items all do what they are designed to do but lets face it, we don't use them. Save the money for servicing and fuel Whistle
 discodeeva  
Post #71559112th Nov 2010 11:59 pm
mwestcrew

Yeah Sure.......while you are at it save your money and buy a Nissan Micra, you'll be really bored but you'll have plenty of money for fuel and servicing.
Post #71565113th Nov 2010 10:40 am
Captain Slow

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3

I would buy the package which gives you a full size spare wheel (the active locking diff is essentially free if the price you've quoted is correct as it's a £500 option in the UK and a full size wheel and tyre new will cost in excess of £550)

the upgrade to lights is well worth it - so much brighter than the normal lights and the active bi-xenons self level and move with the steering which is great especially in narrow country lanes. I would also have the uprated the audio system.

tow assist is great if you tow. likewise i would choose the rear camera (i think you have to if you have tow assist as this helps when hitching up and reversing). i wouldn't bother with the other cameras.

hope that helps?

john
 Prince Harry's D3: G4 factory equipped D3 - expo rack, winch, roof lights, ladder, active locking rear diff, RAI, Melville & Moon seat covers, General Grabber ATs/ Goodyear Duratrac 

Last edited by Captain Slow on 13th Nov 2010 7:00 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #71570313th Nov 2010 4:24 pm
mwestcrew

Tow stability control is different to Tow Assist. Stability is part of the DSC system and Tow Assist helps you to position the trailer. There are no controls or settings for Tow Stability, it's just there when you plug in a trailer. To see how effective it is, take a look at the L.R. demo videos on YouTube
Post #71574013th Nov 2010 6:51 pm
ozd4

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Keyless entry is an option I think well worth it 8) no looking around for key in pocket or bag, just push button on door to lock and just open door or tailgate to get in. so good
Cheers Ken

Post #71581113th Nov 2010 10:00 pm
fat bloke

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

yes to zenons as when i'm in USA i cannot get used to so lack of street lighting compared to here.

Post #71608914th Nov 2010 9:24 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >