DISCO3.CO.UK > General

I was ripped off - official
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 
I was ripped off - official

When I had my 15k service done a few months ago, the bill was £380, including a massive £85 for engine oil. I commented at the time on this and was rather shocked at the cost of oil.

I checked the oil today and it needed a top up, so I called in at the same dealer and went to the parts desk and asked for a litre of the oil they use at service.

"No problem" says the young lad on the parts desk, he produces a green bottle branded Land Rover 5w 30 oil. The label says specifically for the TDV6 engine.

"That will be £6" God thats cheap I thought, how much for a gallon? "£29 sir"

So this is definitly the oil that your mechanics put in at service? I enquired.

"Oh yes sir, exact same stuff" So how come I was charged £85 at my service?

Silence and blank looks ensued.

Upshot of the story is, that they actually told me that they use Mobil 1 in the service, but the Land Rover branded oil is the same. The service personel will put in Mobil1 (at around 100% markup) UNLESS YOU TELL THEM OTHERWISE! There is no advantage aparently to using Mobil 1, using Land Rover 5w30 will not invalidate the warranty.

There is no justification for this, and I will be providing my own Land Rover branded oil at the next service.

I know the poor dealers have to make a living, but this is getting a bit cheeky, I mean they already charge almost £100 per hour labour.

Post #2312714th Oct 2005 9:27 pm
BN

England 

It is not far of the monopoly situation as well with warranty and service

Post #2312914th Oct 2005 9:30 pm
Jim

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Are the pricing of services LR led or does each dealer make up their own Question

If so there could be some value in calling the two nearest dealers for a service price.
 Jim  
Post #2313014th Oct 2005 9:32 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BN

England 

Jim Last wrote:
Are the pricing of services LR led or does each dealer make up their own Question

If so there could be some value in calling the two nearest dealers for a service price.

Dealers are realy just franchised, so they cpould charge what they want. If there are more delaers around then the prices appear to be better.

Post #2313214th Oct 2005 9:34 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Gareth,

mmm... my 1st service only cost £255.

I'd look for another dealer AND get quotes for the next service NOW.

I asked for the price of my 1st service ages before I needed it and it was looked up on the computer (LR linked one with all the service histories).

I assume the price I paid was the standard LR set price ????

Not sure though but I really think your dealer is a rip off merchant.

Call Shukers on 01584 877231 for a 1st service price (I'd guess it would not matter that you did not buy the car from them) and also for your 30K miles service. Say your in the area soon on biz so may book it in.

Then call your dealer for a price.

If they quote you before they cannot charge you more. Unless any wear and tear items need replacing.

-s

Post #2313314th Oct 2005 9:51 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I have 3 dealers within a 30 mile radius. Williams in Manchester city centre, Guy Salmon Stockport, and There is one in Knutsford (forget the name now).

I will get quotes from all of them I think. Car is now on 26500 and approaching 30k fast! it may well tie in with my trip to Ludlow!!! So I will call them.

Post #2313414th Oct 2005 10:00 pm
kaney

The Guy Salmon in Knutsford were brilliant after a good welcome they found a problem on mine (nothing to do with the real prob which was minor) and down loaded everything and gave me an upgrade so they say which took a while & for free, and if you book to wait they send you to the health club up the rd or give you a c-car for the day but still check the price & barter.why not. 8)

Post #2314514th Oct 2005 10:44 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

kaney wrote:
The Guy Salmon in Knutsford were brilliant after a good welcome they found a problem on mine (nothing to do with the real prob which was minor) and down loaded everything and gave me an upgrade so they say which took a while & for free, and if you book to wait they send you to the health club up the rd or give you a c-car for the day but still check the price & barter.why not. 8)

It was Guy Salmon in Stockport that charged me so much for the oil. So I suspect Guy Salmon in Knutsford would do the same.

Post #2314614th Oct 2005 10:46 pm
kaney

Tell them they might do something about it rather than loose you when you book or price it

Post #2315215th Oct 2005 7:51 am
lawman

Mobil 1

The Mobil 1 I use in another car is fully synthetic. I thought one was not supposed to use it in a diesel?

Post #2340817th Oct 2005 12:22 pm
Jim

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

On the Castrol website they don't yet list the Discovery 3 but for the Range Rover Sport TDV6 (Same Engine) the reccommend GTX MAGNATEC 5W-30, which is fully synthetic.
 Jim  
Post #2341817th Oct 2005 2:54 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PJ

England 
The cost of oil

If it is of any help I use BP FE Visco5000 5w/30 20ltr can @ £1.91 a ltr + vat , (can anyone beat that price?) this is the Castrol equivalent - Castrol as you are probably aware comes under the BP umbrella anyway. Like others I got the hump when I realised what dealers were charging for the oil, don't object to paying reasonable prices but consider they are overcharging, ever since I have always supplied my own oil. Seems to go on througout the indusrty & should be exposed.
 TDV6 2004 Auto Zambezi Silver Badged SE not quite an S with Nav & Rear DVD  
Post #2397020th Oct 2005 3:13 pm
DiscoMad

I have been ripped off with Mibil one in my old Disco2 but the dealer now offers an all in price for ist service of about £297 which uses Mobil equiv of the Castrol oil.

Get this though ! couldnt find any GTX MAGNATEC 5W-30 in my local Halfords who were going thru a refit and had to buy from Motorworld. Cost £35......same 5l can I now find at Halfords is £24 .....
Similar differentials occur between these two stores with Wheel cleaner, with 1/2 l costing the same as 1l

Post #2397920th Oct 2005 3:47 pm
PJ

England 

And your still paying twice as much me, are you Mad or what!.
 TDV6 2004 Auto Zambezi Silver Badged SE not quite an S with Nav & Rear DVD  
Post #2401920th Oct 2005 7:27 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >