Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Where do I stick it?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
The Wombat

United Kingdom 
Where do I stick it?

OK, OK, sorry to all you sad people looking here for something more, but..................

I pick my car with with towbar in a box. Get home, read manual and see it tells me to store towbar left hand side of boot in storage unit (7 seater).

So I open the unit and inside is more electrics than at Curry's - no way I want to stick a towbar in there.

What have I got wrong?

The Wombat
 What's that button for?  
Post #357423rd Jan 2006 4:36 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

If you've got the towbar storage fitted there should be lump of polystyrene to wedge it in and strap to fit round it behind that left hand side cover. If there isn't then it's not fitted so you need to quiz your dealer why not, assuming you ordered it.
 The End  
Post #357453rd Jan 2006 4:50 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Slimer wrote:
If you've got the towbar storage fitted there should be lump of polystyrene to wedge it in and strap to fit round it behind that left hand side cover. If there isn't then it's not fitted so you need to quiz your dealer why not, assuming you ordered it.

If you did not order it, you don't get it Crying or Very sad Its a separate part if the towbar is dealer fit. Thats what I was told when I questioned my dealer.

Post #357463rd Jan 2006 5:00 pm
The Wombat

United Kingdom 
Order it?

I did not order it because it was not mentioned anywhere I looked as an extra....

Bah Humbug
 What's that button for?  
Post #357723rd Jan 2006 7:13 pm
DiscoMad

There have been a couple of threads about this.
I would go back and tell him you specified a factory fitted tow bar that comes with the stowage unit (for the same price !!!!!!)
Otherwise its £50 + fitting

Post #357923rd Jan 2006 8:56 pm
Pelyma

England 

Gareth wrote:
Slimer wrote:

If you did not order it, you don't get it Crying or Very sad Its a separate part if the towbar is dealer fit. Thats what I was told when I questioned my dealer.

Gareth I got mine standard, yours is an HSE isn't it?

I have to say I never use it, I always leave the towbar on, its saved me from embarressment so far Embarassed
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #358023rd Jan 2006 9:18 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Pelyma wrote:
Gareth wrote:
Slimer wrote:

Gareth I got mine standard, yours is an HSE isn't it?

I have to say I never use it, I always leave the towbar on, its saved me from embarressment so far Embarassed

Another inconsistency methinks! anyway, I keep the tow bracket in the garage on the shelf!

Post #358123rd Jan 2006 9:36 pm
mattlynch

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Didn't get the storage kit with mine either, so I'm doing without (Not paying for it Mad )
I did leave it in place for around 2 months last winter, but when I came to prepare for green laning it took around 45 minutes and loads of WD40 to get the key to turn in the lock Shocked .
Now it lives in a box in the boot along with at this time of year things like work light and tow rope (for helpping others Wink Wink )

Matt
 Disco 3 TDV6 S (Everyday and laning!)
Series 3 Ex-military Lightweight (Toy!!!)
Smart Roadster (commuting only!) 

Post #359004th Jan 2006 9:51 am
Gazavich

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Towbar stowage

mattlynch wrote:
Didn't get the storage kit with mine either, so I'm doing without (Not paying for it Mad )
I did leave it in place for around 2 months last winter, but when I came to prepare for green laning it took around 45 minutes and loads of WD40 to get the key to turn in the lock Shocked .
Now it lives in a box in the boot along with at this time of year things like work light and tow rope (for helpping others Wink Wink )

Matt

Fitted my stowage over Christmas, did'nt take that long, can't stand things flying arround in the boot. Wink Wink
 HSE TDV6 Silver : "Avin it large"

www.lift-trucksolutions.co.uk 

Post #359064th Jan 2006 11:03 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
chippypip

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Ours doesn't have one fitted either (dealer fit), have been contemplating about getting one.

I was hoping it was going to be a bit more substantial than just another piece of polystyrene!

Post #359094th Jan 2006 11:14 am
chippypip

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I have just been talking to our dealers service manager. He couldn't believe how much a piece of 'styrene costs.

Said he'd keep an eye out for one and give us it FOC as apparently sometimes they come fitted to Disco's that don't have a Plug in towball.

Maybe worth 'tapping' your dealer (if you are a familiar face!) for one.

Post #359384th Jan 2006 5:15 pm
simkna

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

I have just been out to see whether the removeable towbar fits in the second battery box under the bonnet, as I'm not keen on it rattling around in the big space in the rear left wing. Answer - it's a perfect fit, could almost have been designed for it. I thought for a start it might be a bit close to some of the brake pipes if it were to move, but I've wrapped it in a piece of bubble wrap, and it doesn't seem to move at all. Result!! Thumbs Up

Si.
 Pat's Van
D3 TDV6 S Auto
Rimini Red / Alpacca Leather

Post #757103rd Aug 2006 5:55 pm
Ken

If you do go off road don't forget to remove it, it could make a big dent Shocked

Post #757333rd Aug 2006 7:11 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

put a battery holder in to hold it in place. there are a few options at auto stores.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #757834th Aug 2006 12:51 am
Jamo

Australia 

I've got the storage thingy in the left hand cubby! Very Happy

Thing is, we don't get the goosneck type towbar here. We get a receiver and hitch, so It doesn't fit! Shocked Confused
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #757844th Aug 2006 1:10 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >