Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Am I tight or is the D4 overpriced?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Which is why I'll be holding on to the present one until either the prices get more realistic or the Defender replacement arrives. Ooooh, satan, nice ice skates!
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #50791115th Aug 2009 10:21 pm
jwblue

United States 

I guess I am in the minority.

They increased the engine power significantly but didn't increase the price that much.

There is a lot of value in the offroad capabilities. Just because people don't use those capabilities does not mean the value is taken away.

It is probably priced right.

Post #50808716th Aug 2009 6:01 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

But US pricing has always been a lot better any way, ignoring the the engine differnces how much would a fully loaded D4/LR4 HSE set you back?
 The End  
Post #50810116th Aug 2009 7:00 pm
rsk21

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Unnecessary quote removed

The US vs UK price differential is irrelevant isn't it as the issue here surely is the increment between D3 and D4 pricing irrespective of currency ?

At standard invoice pricing a D4 HSE with a significant number of major mechancial improvements, new interior and upgraded technology is about 5% more than the model it replaces. That to me doesn't seem too bad at all.

RSK
 FFRR Vogue SE - Waitomo

D4 XXV - Causeway

D4 HSE 255 - Sumatra

D4 HSE 245 - Stornoway

D3 S - Java 

Post #50811316th Aug 2009 7:48 pm
Shrinky

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I think the price is pretty good actually. (Run, Run, Hide.) Only because if you compare a fully loaded D4 to a RRS or FFRR it's a bargain. Infact compare it to other makes and £47k is cheap for what it is. Wink
 Global Warming.... I'm luvvin it  
Post #50812816th Aug 2009 8:37 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gt.Mooglywoogly

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

I've been thinking about this all day.

If you look at the price difference between the out going HSE and the new one theres not really a lot in it when you take into account the improvements.

So I have to agree with RSK that the D4 offers is worth the extra

There is also a question of exclusivity and desirability.

The whole price of the car has to be what its worth to you as an individual and personal preference.

I also think that a lot of D3 owners will never go offroad or indeed use this forum, but do use/need a large car for towing, ferrying the kids. etc. LR could lose these customers to BMW or Audi so they (LR)have had to improve on the day to day drive-ablility and refinement or as they put "perceived luxury". Whilst retaining their off road credentials

Judging by the number of D3's usually present when i take my daughter to school. LR are doing much better than BMW or Audi. I have counted 15 D3's, 5 RRS, 5 ffrrs, 3 X5's and 2 Q7's on a daily average. When the school had an open day it was like a LR Fest, with LR's filling the playing field, gulp!!

So just based on these observations LR have to Up the Ante to retain or gain new customers.

What would happen if Porsche brought out a new model 911 that was 30% improved and it was the same price or less than the existing price?

Funny how things are always more expensive than you thought they would be on buying, and you always get less than you thought you would when selling!!!!

Post #50815016th Aug 2009 9:18 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Ah... but with the price increase and trim level mucking about with, to get an equivalent D4 looks very pricey now.

Post #50815916th Aug 2009 9:33 pm
Gt.Mooglywoogly

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

a bag of chips was 6d in 1965

They look expensive now !!!!

Post #50822817th Aug 2009 12:03 am
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Generally modern technology based product gives you more for around the same price.

It may be improved, but that does not necessarily warrant relatively large increases in price to get the same / simliar spec as you had previously.

For what I spent on my XS (brand new from a main dealer), I would be going backwards spec wise... always a bad idea if you want to keep your customer base and not alienate them.

Post #50823217th Aug 2009 12:19 am
748scratcher

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I agree with Simon,
@ £47K the HSE D4 isn't that much more than the D3 was at launch, BUT not all of us are lucky enough to have £47K to spend on a car : !
for what i paid for my New 07 XS auto, i would be strugling to get a D4 2.7 GS, this is lower spec'd than my XS, It seems to me that LR is trying to be too prestiege aiming it's new products at the top end market,the XS and SE seems to be the most popular model choice so this could be why they have combined the specs, soon they will be badging it and marketing the D4 as a Range Rover 7seat, the LRX is now been badged as a Range Rover!

Post #50848917th Aug 2009 7:11 pm
110CSW

United Kingdom 

Well, I paid £34.5k for a manual D3 SE nearly four years ago. So add back the discount, put on the auto premium and a D4 SE should list at £39.5/40.0k - what an XS costs. However, my SE has electric/memory seats, xenons and heated rear seats. You can put the last two things on an XS but not the electric/memory seats which for me are really useful as SWMBO is a tad shorter than me. The XS costs what an SE should cost if they made one.

FWIW JLR knows a bit about value - the XF diesels offer a huge amount for the money.

I would like a D4 but to get my SE spec I need to upgrade to an HSE and its just too much for me to do - £32/33k to px a four year old car is a lot of lolly. Hopefully the SE will come with the 2011MY or the XS will receive a spec upgrade. Add the fact that 10%+ discounts will probably be available this time next year then its time to wait.
 2014MY Discovery  
Post #50874218th Aug 2009 10:54 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >