DISCO3.CO.UK > Wheels & Tyres

Idiot question about tyre wear
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

JackNorris wrote:
I got 38K out my fronts and still had loads of life left in the rears - then i sold the vehicle 4 weeks after replacing fronts Big Cry

GY Wranglers? Put mine on 12k miles ago and a couple have worn 1mm, two 2 mm, though not sure if a front vs rear difference. Means me getting ATRs on gets further & further away as SWMBO has banned me from getting a second set of rims. Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry

Post #18443335th Aug 2017 5:32 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

stumpy2268 wrote:
Not sure if this is off topic, but I will ask anyway...

Just had a new pair of Scorpion P Zeros fitted at ATS, before fitting the guy tells me that there will be more than 4mm difference between the tread depth on the new front tyres versus the part worn rears. This means there will be a risk of diff or gearbox damage and the tyres will only be fitted if I sign a disclaimer.

Has anyone else come across this comment, or is it a sales scam to make me buy more tyres ?

That is true of part time 4 wheel drive vehicles, Freelander's are an example, they are front wheel drive until a differential in speed (around 2/3%) is sensed between front and rear axle and then the diff locks up, but they don't have a mechanical diff, they use a viscous unit which causes 4 wheel wind up and a fractured transmission. This is why new tyres on these types of 4 wheel drives must always be fitted on the front to reduce lock up.
Discovery's are full time 4x4 with geared diff's and this does not apply.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #18444085th Aug 2017 9:40 pm
stumpy2268

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Thanks for the replies, I knew about the viscous units from my old classic RR days, but have never owned a Freelander to have come across the issue you have pointed out.

At the end of the day, I put a new pair of front tyres on to go with the part worn rears back in 2015, then drove at high motorway speeds fully laden to Spain and back, around 1500 miles. Never missed a beat..... we will see how this pair of new fronts pan out Thumbs Up

Just to go back on topic for a moment, my experience of Pirelli Scorpions has been very good as far as wear is concerned. I got 2 years and 23k miles out of my last pair of fronts. They work very hard on a D4 as you can throw it about a bit if you want on the bendy stuff. My only gripe..... beware of high speed aquaplaning if you are going quickly in the wet on poor draining French motorways Whistle

Post #18447777th Aug 2017 8:29 am
professorpool

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

lynalldiscovery wrote:
Tried nexens on mercs pretty good so long as theres no snow about! whenever anyone mentions Avons I straight away think of their ditch finders Mr. Green

Had Nexens on my old Jag XF. Very good for the money and capable long distance motorway cruisers.
 D3 07 SE - still going strong
D3 07 HSE - gone to car heaven
FL1 - gone to Romania
D3 05 HSE - gone to a divorce diet
D1 V8 manual - gone but not forgotten
RR Classic - gone to car heaven

Jeeps, Lexus, X-trails... Too many to name.. 

Post #18447867th Aug 2017 9:41 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >