Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > IIDTool Help

IID Tool Novice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Narpy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
IID Tool Novice

Just taken delivery of an IID Tool, finally got it up and running, activated, and updated etc. and have removed the few fault codes that were stored so I can start with a clean sheet.

Thing is, it seems a bit daunting and I don't want to make a testicles of anything but would very much like to try the clock in dash mod which I know the IID Tool is capable of doing.

I'm reasonably well up with all things computer related etc. but just want to use caution. I can't seem to find an idiots guide anywhere so was hoping some kind fellow here could point me in the right direction, any advice about using this amazing little tool gratefully received.

Ian.
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
The 1st Ever RRS Modded Grill
Garmin Nuvi + D4 Surround + Reversing Camera.
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Wing Mirror Indicator Repeaters.
Long Roof Rails
Make your own Narpy grill thread
I'm not scared, I'm outta here. 

Post #114962129th Aug 2013 4:38 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

My (hard won) advice is to always make sure your battery is fully charged and that the car is hooked to either a high-amp current source (eg Ctek 25 Amp) or has jump-leads to another vehicle.

You don't want any hint of a voltage interruption when doing any programming.

Thumbs Up
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #114962329th Aug 2013 4:42 pm
J@mes

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Would be handy if someone could "map" the processes for getting to certain menus to do certain jobs!
 2014 D4 XS
2005 D3 SE - Gone 

Post #114962529th Aug 2013 4:43 pm
leadoverdistance

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3

Make sure you register on the Gap diagnostics website, which i assume you have done. Ensure the tool is up to date. I updated mine using the supplied usb cable a few days ago. There has been a recent update to the update, not sure exaclty what it was. It has come out since last month.

If it helps, I have a basic charger that I set on auto and hooked up to the battery.
The manual is worth downloading (via pdf) as it has steps to take if it goes wrong.

The IIDTool prompts you through the process, in plain language. It is really easy, and I am no digital giant. I would be surprised if you did not succeed Smile

All the best Thumbs Up

Paul

Post #114975629th Aug 2013 8:30 pm
Narpy

Thanks for that.
I think I need to have a play around with it. I honestly can't understand any of it at the moment and the manual ( once you've actually found it on the GAP website ) may as well be written in Russian. Rolling Eyes

I'll see how I get on this weekend. Thumbs Up

Definitely echo what J@mes has said too.
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Long Roof Rails

Post #114978529th Aug 2013 9:06 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

No it isn't written in Russian or any other language (I don't think), It is written in plain English, but it can be daunting when you first start. Don't be put off by all the talk of battery failure, the Iid tool will not let you start flashing a module unless it has sufficient charge, just make sure you have a good battery and it is fully charged, do not connect a charger while you are using the tool unless it is a Ctek or equivalent of sufficient capacity (20amp), it only takes a few minuits to actually flash a module.
You are more likely to run a battery down learning how to use it than actually flashing, if you have a small battery charger connect it to the battery on the car after you have finished playing, I would suggest you spend more time with it just exploring the menu without changing anything. I will post you a step by step guide on the instrument flash if you are still struggling. Thumbs Up
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #114980029th Aug 2013 9:32 pm
Narpy

Cheers comrade M3DPO. Mr. Green

Feel free to post away with your step by step guide, it might even help me navigate my way through all the options. Thumbs Up
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Long Roof Rails

Post #114980429th Aug 2013 9:37 pm
M3DPO

O.k. Got the (d)istructions in front of me now. I would suggest you down load the manual now you have updated the tool, make sure you download Land Rover Disco 3, User manual v2.18.15 for firmware V2.18.05 and not Range Rover and read page 33/4.
First of all do not enter into the last item on the menu, it has already bean done automatically ( Iid tool Config>find ecu's), it is only used for additional cars.
Switch engine on> plug tool in>battery voltage on dash displayed>press resume on cruise control(enter)>read faults>press '+ speed' until 'ECU flash' is displayed>press enter > '+ speed' until 'instrument pack' is displayed, along with a warning message that cannot be overruled until it has been repeated. > Press enter > press '+ speed ' on cruise control,( you will have to press this more than once to verify the command, you will see 'FLASHING STARTED' and the Iid tool will start flickering if not press + speed again.
The instruments may turn on and off the SatNav may light up, this is normal DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING UNTIL YOU SEE 'FLASHING COMPLETED'. This should only take 70/80 seconds.
The SUSPENSION ECU must now be done exactly the same, you can choose between Hitachi and AMK.
The ignition must be turned off for at least 3 mins before the upgrade will work, this will also make the lights on LED work in 2005/6 models (ex fuelBH LED). Good Luck and leave it until you are not in a hurry Thumbs Up

Last edited by M3DPO on 30th Aug 2013 9:46 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #114984029th Aug 2013 10:32 pm
Narpy

Excellent post. Thumbs Up

One thing is puzzling me however, why do I have to then mess with the suspension compressor settings when I only want the clock on dash????

Maybe I'm trying to run before I can walk. Rolling Eyes
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Long Roof Rails

Post #114986129th Aug 2013 11:29 pm
leadoverdistance

Narpy, a few things i noticed while using the IIDTool

It gives you the option of scrolling through ecus to flash using the + on the steering wheel.

The suspension flash is for the new AMK compressor, should you fit one. This apparently is the replacement Land Rover now use for the Disco 3, and is standard on the later Disco 4s. Don't do this unless fitting the new compressor.

If you want the clock on the dash, you flash Instrument software.
A possible negative to some, is that when you turn your lights on, you will get a Red light in the circle to the lower left of the speedo, which is for the "Auxiliary Heater" . It did this with my 2006 NA spec LR3.

If you want the one touch 3 flash indicator, you may also need to flash the BCM ( body control module) software as well. It too is dependent on the year model. I would enable the three flash signal, in the CCF (car configuration) and see if it works. If it doesnt, then boldly flash the BCM. All of these things are under the same software flash chapter.

If you don't like anything you do, you can restore the vehicle using the restore/save chapter, and start fresh.

I hope this helps. Have fun with it!

Paul

Last edited by leadoverdistance on 30th Aug 2013 4:46 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #114986930th Aug 2013 5:10 am
M3DPO

Narpy wrote:
Excellent post. Thumbs Up

One thing is puzzling me however, why do I have to then mess with the suspension compressor settings when I only want the clock on dash????

Maybe I'm trying to run before I can walk. Rolling Eyes

GAP recommend you do this, only takes a minuit to do it, it is the latest firmware for compressors, some of the parameters are lowered to theoretically extend the life of the compressor.
Just make sure your battery is fully charged before starting to flash, one mistake is to play with it for an hour with the engine switched on, and then decide to flash, as you know one hour with engine on = discharged battery Big Cry You can use the tool with the engine running for exploring its capabilities, if you decide to make a change and the engine is running the tool will tell you to "switch off engine" Thumbs Up

Post #114991130th Aug 2013 9:42 am
PatGAPInnov
Site Sponsor 

Canada 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3

Hi Guys

Maybe I can help a bit here…

From the user manual:

"The RLM Suspension ECU must be updated when the IPC Instrument pack ECU is updated." If the suspension ECU is not updated, the suspension warning light will come on the instrument cluster. I will add this detail in the user manual.

Suspension ECU: User can choose between the Hitachi and AMK compressor firmwares.

Discovery 3/LR3 and Discovery 4/LR4 vehicles up to 2012 were fitted with the Hitachi compressor. In 2012, the AMK compressor which is more robust was introduced and is now fitted to new vehicles. It is also the replacement supplied by Land Rover for older vehicles (including Discovery 3/LR3). Since there are differences between the Hitachi and the AMK compressors, the suspension ECU firmwares are not the same.

If the vehicle is fitted with the Hitachi compressor: The RLM Suspension ECU software update contains modifications on the compressor logic and temperature thresholds. These changes help extend the lifespan of the compressor.

We strongly recommend using a power supply or another vehicle connected on the battery to keep the voltage high enough during re-flashing. This is especially true for the BCM-Body Control ECU. Other recommendations will soon be released in regards to the re-flashing of the BCM. The IIDTool should also be updated to the latest build before ECU re-flashing is performed.

If you need help or have questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Cheers

Post #115007930th Aug 2013 4:08 pm
Narpy

Cheers chaps, I'm going to have a play with my newly acquired gadget this weekend.
I'll report back any progress. Wink
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Long Roof Rails

Post #115009330th Aug 2013 4:32 pm
leadoverdistance

Thank you Pat

I wasn't cued to update my compressor when I installed the instrument pack? Currently I have done the BCM and IPC on my 2006 LR3
I don't recall whether it would have asked me to do so when I first plugged it in, pre-update to the latest release.

Many thanks

Paul

Post #115009530th Aug 2013 4:34 pm
J@mes

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Why can't you have the vehicle running while making the updates?
 2014 D4 XS
2005 D3 SE - Gone 

Post #115010030th Aug 2013 4:42 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >