Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Immobilised with broken CV joint
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Mr Andrew

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Immobilised with broken CV joint

I was told about a D3 that broke a CV joint at Stockton on the weekend (apparentely a heavily loaded car, deep sand, lots of throtle, lots of lock, but I was not there, so can't be sure). But the real problem - the car was totally immobilised, as all torque just caused the driveshaft on the broken joint to spin (but obviously not the wheel). So no electronic diffs locked (mid or rear), and traction control was dormant as no wheel was spinning. So our "advanced" D3 can be stopped in their tracks by a single CV or shaft failure.

Contrast - the previous weekend a broken rear diff. in a RR Classic merely made it a FWD - so receovery was mostly self-propelled except fr steep stuff - much easier than full tow of a heavy D3 off a beach.

Any ideas about how we could trick D3 diff locks to go to full lock in this situation? If my car broke a CV joint and I could 100% lock my centre and rear e-diff, I would still have a highly capable 3WD...

Last edited by Mr Andrew on 6th Aug 2009 8:05 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #5035724th Aug 2009 11:28 am
~Rich~

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Good question Andrew!

I had a 79 Rangie & broke my rear tailshaft climbing big rocks down at Yalwal, Np unbolted the offending bits and got towed up the hard parts, drove home to Sydney in a front wheel drive Rangie!

I will be good to find out if it is possible to be mobile with a D3 if you break a C/V far from civilization.
 2005 TDV6 HSE Silver, LLAMS Height Controller, Tinted Glass, Onroad - 19" GG AT's, Offroad - 18" 275/65 MT, Traxside Dual Battery kit, Rasta Protection Plate, Alpine Roof, BAS Remap, ARB Air Compressor, eDiff Smile Custom Drawer and storage unit -http://www.box.com/s/jem0ilac3cner2mexq64 UHF CB, 4x4 Intellegence RWC, 120ltr Long range tank, Rock Sliders and Compressor protection plate Beanie grill, De Tango.  
Post #5035784th Aug 2009 11:43 am
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Why they couldn't just put it in Rock Crawl to 'lock' the centre diff and drive it out?

I don't understand why a spinning wheel/driveshaft on the front axle would prevent the rear axle from turning if the centre diff was locked? Or am I missing something obvious Embarassed
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #5035814th Aug 2009 11:55 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

As Paul said, rock crawl mode hits 50/50 so as long as the reart wheels were in contact with the ground, then no problem othewr than the noise of the broken shaft unless you were able to remove it Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #5035824th Aug 2009 11:59 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I seem to remember someone doing the same and travelling back from Morocco in 3wd. Whistle

Maybe they didn't try 'rock crawl' However in that situation I would rather wait for a tow to save a any possible damage.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #5035944th Aug 2009 12:13 pm
Mr Andrew

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Thanks guys - really helpful. So terrain response setting is the key. When you say 50:50, do you mean that the centre diff is 100% locked, so that torque is split 50:50 front & rear?

Post #5036224th Aug 2009 1:05 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Yup, if he has the 4x4 info display, the padlock icon over the centre diff will change colour Red on MY07 or later and Green (ISTR) on pre MY07 indicating that it is locked Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #5036284th Aug 2009 1:12 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PaulP

Yep - I think that's what Bodsy means Thumbs Up

The D3 can still lock the centre diff in other TR modes, but not when it doesn't detect wheel slip.
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #5036294th Aug 2009 1:12 pm
disco4x4au

Australia 

A few years ago, I had a CV failure (actually it was a fitting failure - dealer forgot to secure one of the clips!) on the tarmac. Used rock crawl to get back to the dealers. It was a bit of a stop-start affair - it seemed to lose drive around corners - but it got me there.

Cheers,

Gordon
 ex - 2006 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, with lots of stuff - R.I.P.
ex - 2009 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, had lots of stuff too!
Now - 2010 RRS 3.0 TDV6, rimini red, 18" rims + Cooper LTZ, rear eLocker, Spider tuning box, GOE protection plates and rock sliders, GOE 3way shortened rods. 

Post #5046727th Aug 2009 12:32 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

It was AndrewS did break a drive shaft in Morocco. ISTR he did use rock crawl, and the car did drive to a certain extent. I don't think it was able to drive in sand though, only on firm ground. I also seem to recall that the car was very confused.

He ended up fitting a new drive shaft in the middle of the desert, as he had the foresight to take a spare because it is a known problem.

Post #5046757th Aug 2009 12:44 am
CFB

United Kingdom 

I don't think the centre diff (or rear) ever 'locks' 100%, so this may be a very basic limp home option. In Rock Crawl it adds as much automatic pre-load lock as the system permits but as said it isn't fully physically locked as in a D1 or Defender.
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #5047437th Aug 2009 9:31 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 
Re: Immobilised with broken CV joint

Mr Andrew wrote:
So our "advanced" D3 can be stopped in their tracks by a single CV or shaft failure.

..Rubbish Thumbs Up ....only for someone that doesn't know what to do if this happens Whistle Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #5047477th Aug 2009 9:54 am
PaulP

CFB wrote:
I don't think the centre diff (or rear) ever 'locks' 100%,

Yep Andy, that's why I put the word lock in quote marks, but I didn't explain myself very well.... Embarassed

It should be enough though to send enough torque to the rear diff so that you can get the car out of the $hit....in theory it should also work if you break both front driveshafts, but as Gareth said, the D3 will get confused as one (or both) of the front wheels will not be turning at all.....

It's interesting though.....if the D3 had a button that said 'Diff Lock' or a TR mode that said the same, I'm sure the chap would have used it.....because it's been 'simplified' and they've used Rock Crawl, he probably didn't think of it....

What I mean to say is -> Wot DG just said Whistle Thumbs Up
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #5047537th Aug 2009 10:24 am
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

PaulP wrote:
...the D3 will get confused as one (or both) of the front wheels will not be turning at all.....
Only if in sand/mud and it has no traction; bear in mind that even if they're not driven, the front wheels will be pushed along and will turn so this should be ok for tarmac though may be iffy on the slippy stuff, especially if the car uses the brakes on the affected corner.

I'd assume for safety reasons the broken shaft should be removed to stop it flying out at high velocity?
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #5048007th Aug 2009 12:56 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Yes take the shaft out but put the shaft ends back in place Thumbs Up
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #5048107th Aug 2009 1:15 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >