Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Imperfect bodywork
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Limpopo

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Vienna GreenDiscovery 3
Imperfect bodywork

Had a new V8 SE for around 50km and noticed a couple of problems. First, my young son says the rattle that's going to drive me nuts is from the tailgate strut area (happens to be the side that's not pulled in quite as much as it should. Easy fix, I hope.
Every time I get out of the car I change my seat position. (I've read the posts). Obvious design flaw to my mind, but I'll try to get out differently (hands first, maybe).
But finally and most interestingly I've spotted a pressing problem on the driver's side rear door, just under the door handle. Passenger side perfect. Driver's side looks as though it's a repaired dent.
Checked all D3s at the South African dealer - they're all the same. Mine came off line sometime in February, apparently. Don't know what, if anything. I'll do, but just thought it was interesting. Little too much "orange peel" on the paint for my liking too.
Something about the steering. Can't describe it. Does it feel a tad 'loose' over uneven ground?
I think I'm going to like the car Very Happy , but to me, doesn't seem to have the build quality in parts of a Merc or BM. Sad Here I'm thinking of the flimsy panels inside the loaddeck area that hide the jack and fuses; all the plastic panelling in the rear area, the fitting and operation of the loaddeck cover; the plastic plug for the tow hitch that repeatedly drops onto the driveway; the lack of glazing under the bonnet.... Confused
OK. It might be picky. But this is not a Defender. The D3 competes in this price category with the Mercs and BMs directly. Remember it is only a knowledgeable few that will ever take this car off the tar. (It was BMW's research at LR that led to the X5. Ask for low range if you're buying a Merc).
If it doesn't let me down badly, I'll probably overlook the above and more. But I feel if we're all daft enough to part with this kind of dosh we're entitled to be critical, regardless of how the vehicle will be used. Mad
I am now donning a tin hat and flak jacket as I crawl into a foxhole, awaiting the barrage from D3 die-hards. Exclamation
 Must look at it from the bright side...  
Post #517312nd Apr 2006 10:51 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
chex

see here for tail struts http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3721

Post #517322nd Apr 2006 10:56 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Most of the points you make are valid. I am not sure what glazing under the bonnet would do for me though!

I think the steering is a bit loose, and I do feel the odd clonk from it, but not enough to spoil the car.

The trim in the back is a bit flimsy. Mine is looking a bit second hand back there,

Tailgate struts - enough said Wink at least you spotted yours in time
Crying or Very sad

Paint, mines OK.

But I still would not change it for anything else available.

Post #517332nd Apr 2006 10:58 pm
Limpopo

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Vienna GreenDiscovery 3
Imperfect bodywork

Gareth, I still have my V8 DII and love it. I'm sure I'm going to love this one too. It's just that we've moved a long way from this stuff being used to carry sheep (OK, there'll have to be one somewhere) and I'm still on sedatives having parted with the money... (Originally from Yorkshire, hence the concern over money and sheep)
 Must look at it from the bright side...  
Post #517402nd Apr 2006 11:42 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Eeeee by eck Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #517412nd Apr 2006 11:52 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >