Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

In Praise of my D3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
croyde

In Praise of my D3

Well I have just returned from our Hols in the South of France and can I say WHAT A CAR.

Drove down in one hit through the night, family all asleep with 90 dialed into the cruise control and covered 400 miles in 5 hours. Very comfortable and none of the pains described by other S owners. Wife took over for a couple of hundred miles then I carried on for the last bit.

Very smooth drive and 25.5 mpg average for the 2000 odd miles covered in 2 weeks. Not bad considering that 1600 miles were done at 80+ and alot of the miles on holiday were done on rough tracks in the mountains of the L'Esterel region near Cannes.

Only complaint was the suspension warning light coming on after a week of sandy, stoney tracks with the odd rocky climb/descent. Really! these tracks were being used by loads of little Citroens and Renaults so why they should faze the Land Rover is beyond me. I like to believe that it was an over zealous sensor. Has not come back on in the last 800 miles so fingers crossed.

Passed under a bridge, on the way back, with strange pods sticking out of its side, somewhere north of Avignon on the A7, and a few hundred metres later my Reg No was displayed on a huge dot matrix display. I suppose that I must of won a prize Laughing

So a very comfortable long distance driver and very capable of a bit of fun as well as carrying everything including the kitchen sink. But I wish that Land Rover could have included the option to have the driver's seat separated from the rest of the car by soundproof glass so that I did not have to hear the kids whinging and fighting through out the daylight hours.

Having my little boy asking "are we there yet?" at least twice every mile for 350 miles was not a highlight, poor little thing Laughing Should have got that portable DVD.

Only saw one French registered D3 and no one seemed to take an interest in mine.

Have to see if I can polish out all the scratches from the hard bushes, but at least the car looks like it has been properly used now.

I have noticed that on a trailing throttle at speed there is a noticable thud/bang somewhere at the back, when you apply some accelleration and that the air con takes about 20 secs to get going when you start the car. These things may be normal but having sat in the seat for so long I may have only just noticed it.

But hey! it got us there and back and I am well impressed Very Happy

Post #6502420th Jun 2006 2:52 pm
KL

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Re: In Praise of my D3

croyde wrote:

I wish that Land Rover could have included the option to have the driver's seat separated from the rest of the car by soundproof glass so that I did not have to hear the kids whinging and fighting through out the daylight hours.

I was thinking the same after our 'measly' six hour drive from Cornwall.
I'm developing one - let me know your interest please - how does £2000 sound?! Laughing Cheap at the price.
Failing that, I was thinking of cutting some MDF board and slotting it between the seat bases of the middle row to stop the physical assaults happening so frequently. I know they would hamper airbag deployment, but if it reduced the distractions I would be a much safer driver...

croyde wrote:

Having my little boy asking "are we there yet?" at least twice every mile for 350 miles was not a highlight, poor little thing Laughing Should have got that portable DVD.

We've been discussing this too, but resisting for now. I'm not sure I can manage another extended journey of story tapes interspersed with cheesy disco pop though, so I might relent.

croyde wrote:

Have to see if I can polish out all the scratches from the hard bushes

That maquis sure is tough. Defeated the German army in WWII
 Discovery 3 tdv6 7 seat Buckingham Blue
Had it since new - sold Jun 17 after 12 years and 214,000 miles 

Post #6502620th Jun 2006 3:02 pm
catweasel

youve just convinced me to look into aftermarket dvd systems. planning a 3 month trip next year and with the tin lids and handbrake onboard it could be a long drive without it.

Post #6502820th Jun 2006 3:22 pm
catweasel

have you thought about purchasing one of these. I'm seriously considering getting a couple

Post #6503020th Jun 2006 3:29 pm
Pelyma

England 

Where can I purchase this, is it retro fittable to older models? Ideally I would prefer a remote contro; so modes could be changed even if the 3rd row seats were occupied!
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #6503320th Jun 2006 3:38 pm
al cope

England 

the DVD option is great. Had a roof mounted one in my D2, and got one in the D3.

1&1/2 to 2hrs peace and quiet, a break, change movie, off again, what could be better.

Alan
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #6503820th Jun 2006 3:53 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

kids I can cope with..... Wink
is there a version for women? Very Happy

Post #6503920th Jun 2006 3:54 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
catweasel

yes but its too rude to post a pic

Post #6504020th Jun 2006 3:55 pm
10forcash

HA! found one (down the side of the sofa Rolling Eyes )
Click image to enlarge

Post #6504120th Jun 2006 3:56 pm
catweasel

Shocked Milestone Thumbs Up

Post #6504220th Jun 2006 3:58 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

I want Big Cry
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #6504420th Jun 2006 3:59 pm
10forcash

IT'S MINE Very Happy Very Happy
Just got to stop Mrs.10 nicking the batteries Wink

Post #6504520th Jun 2006 4:00 pm
al cope

England 

woman - batteries - Oh er missus - dont go there

Al Laughing
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #6505420th Jun 2006 4:17 pm
DiscoStu

England 
Re: In Praise of my D3

KL wrote:

croyde wrote:

We've been discussing this too, but resisting for now. I'm not sure I can manage another extended journey of story tapes interspersed with cheesy disco pop though, so I might relent.

Got the roof mounted LR dvd - all it does is move the arguments from 'in-journey' to the beginning of the journey, as they argue over what to watch... Evil or Very Mad But get a film on they like and you get 2 hours of silence...
 Disco 5 HSE Lux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peyiqaJrmMU 

Post #6507320th Jun 2006 6:08 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >