Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Africa

What should be in a spares kit for a TDV6 for overlanding
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
coala

South Africa 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
What should be in a spares kit for a TDV6 for overlanding

Given the recent posts regarding the reliability poll, the trip report etc, I thought we could maybe start a post covering which essential items (spares) for the Disco3 TDV6 need to be carried with (in Africa). These are the things most likely to give and most likely to be impossible (or very difficult, to come by).

Given the recent concerns, diesel filter seem to be one. More than one spare tyre (if you are driving on stock 17 or 18’ – most of the times a tube is useless given how these tyres go) will be another.

After some time, I will go through the posts and compile a list (from a driver’s point of view) and maybe we can again approach LR for a kit (that does not cost an arm and a leg and is based on actual experiences) – or at least enable you to shop around (re-con etc) and built your own kit. For what ever the purpose, I will find this very handy - and a bit reassuring.

Post #18083323rd Jul 2007 12:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

I think LR Centurion already offers some sort of kit . Maybe see if you can get the list from them

Post #18083723rd Jul 2007 12:40 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
coala

Spoke to Jaques at LR Centurion. They put together a kit consisting of filters, fan belt and top up oild etc. Works same principle as for the Defender, what you do not use, they refund you. Price wise around R3500.00. He indicated he needs two-three days to prepare the kit. That helps a lot. Thanks for the advise.

Post #18084523rd Jul 2007 1:02 pm
heine

Does that include the infamous fuel filter

Post #18084723rd Jul 2007 1:05 pm
robharvey

South Africa 2012 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Coala,

Don't be shy, let's have the list. I asked LR Umhlanga about a kit last week, and they were quite happy to do the sell/refund deal, but only on items which they regularly carried stock of, and I had to tell them what I'd like to have in the kit. That's where I need your help, because apart from the fan belt, air filter and (infamous) fuel filter what more do I really need from LR?

On a brighter note the 36k service done last week was billed at R683 incl VAT. If that's all for a minor service when we run out of service plan then I'm ecstatic.

Post #18085323rd Jul 2007 1:20 pm
coala

Well I asked, and it includes the filter. Well....you know. It really does. Okay – it’s supposed to include the filter. Well, we can continue and do the list - and maybe add a few "must do's" as well. Like, must carry a spare wheel somewhere other than where it’s hanging at the moment. And if you ask why, wait till you have to unpack everything in your boot to get to it - then you know why. If you never swear - this is where you start.

Post #18085723rd Jul 2007 1:28 pm
Herman

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

There is a thread somewhere about the necessary modification needed to be able to lower/raise the spare tyre without having to unpack the car - basically a socket extension that stays between the 2 seat backs, with a ratchet that has to be added to the toolkit.

Post #18088923rd Jul 2007 2:28 pm
Deondef

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Before we get too uptight on the filter thing - lets first ascertain whether this is the actual problem. In one of the other threads I reported that it happened again (going into limp mode at 4000 revs) after the filter was cleaned.

Although I will still carry a spare filter even if it is not the cause for my specific issue.

Hopefully will get new filter fitted this week and be able to test vehicle under high speed conditions over the week-end.

Post #18094723rd Jul 2007 4:31 pm
Richard SA

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

The spares list is good and fine yet you need to check like the famous fuel filter if that is what your car uses. Rolling Eyes

To add to the list based on own experience.
Fan assembly ex the wisco clutch
Radiator cor high flow
2 x 33 spanner since with out that you cant get the visco of to repaire or replace the radiator.
Turbo boost pipe.
Radiator temp sensor it goes and you are in limp mode
Bow down Thumbs Up
 White LR3 TDV6 2007  
Post #18095423rd Jul 2007 4:37 pm
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I don't see the point of taking stuff that you can't actually fit by yourself in the bush, with the limited set of tools you can carry.
I don't even see how you will fit a fanbelt, 'cos apparently it requires some special tool.

OK, not a bad idea to take a spare pipe or 2, but you will end up having to disassemble the whole front of the vehicle just to find out where the leak is coming from.

I take a set of filters (air, fuel, oil) and 10x500ml oil. It all fits nicely in an ammo box, and voila.

If anything else gose, phone your insurance broker.
Get hold of Cross-country, you will be amazed at the price, and what is actually covered

Post #18187025th Jul 2007 10:08 am
Baben

..........and nothing can replace that all important pre-trip inspection.

Take the vehicle to your dealer, tell them where you are going, and what you will get up to, get them to inspect the vehicle (so far I have never been billed for this pleasure) get into the workshop with the foreman and get under that vehicle on the lift, spend a lot of time there, find out what things look like when they are operating correctly. Ask questions. Point at stuff and say "what does this doofah do?" You may even learn something about that lovely vehicle. There's a good chance you might find something amiss that can be fixed there and then before it becomes deadly.

Do it yourself, 'cos the techie at the dealer doesn't have the problem when you are stuck in the bush, you do!

Post #18187625th Jul 2007 10:13 am
coala

I agree. I am absolutely not mech inclined - so only the simplest of things I can do myself, but the fact is that maybe u cannot fix it yourself, but the nearest garage might. So there are pros and cons. I prefer to take things I can do myself, and then maybe just two or three things which are recommended by the mechanics. Hence, my call for a post of must-have spare parts based on actual experience, or which might be difficult to obtain.

One other thing which really got me swearing was the standard jack - either I used it incorrectly, or it is just Censored

Post #18187825th Jul 2007 10:16 am
Baben

..................and make sure you get the cellular numbers of the DP, one or 2 techies that look like they know what they are doing, the salesman that sold you the vehicle, and the service foreman. Naturally you will already have the land rover after hours number, but sometimes it doesn't work, apparently.

Then chuck out all the spares to make space for beer, and go and enjoy your holiday! Thumbs Up

Censored it, if you have enough food & water & a satphone you should be OK

Post #18188025th Jul 2007 10:18 am
heine

Baben wrote:
I don't see the point of taking stuff that you can't actually fit by yourself in the bush, with the limited set of tools you can carry.
I don't even see how you will fit a fanbelt, 'cos apparently it requires some special tool.

OK, not a bad idea to take a spare pipe or 2, but you will end up having to disassemble the whole front of the vehicle just to find out where the leak is coming from.

I take a set of filters (air, fuel, oil) and 10x500ml oil. It all fits nicely in an ammo box, and voila.

If anything else gose, phone your insurance broker.
Get hold of Cross-country, you will be amazed at the price, and what is actually covered

Anthony do you have the relevant part numbers

Post #18194925th Jul 2007 11:56 am
heine

coala wrote:
I agree. I am absolutely not mech inclined - so only the simplest of things I can do myself, but the fact is that maybe u cannot fix it yourself, but the nearest garage might. So there are pros and cons. I prefer to take things I can do myself, and then maybe just two or three things which are recommended by the mechanics. Hence, my call for a post of must-have spare parts based on actual experience, or which might be difficult to obtain.

One other thing which really got me swearing was the standard jack - either I used it incorrectly, or it is just Censored

Haven't tried the std jack yet , but managed to use a bottle jack successfully on the front wheels . Couldn't find a decent place for the rear wheels so used a trolley jack instead - but this is too big to carry around .

Have you had a chance to see what's in the spares list from Centurion yet ?

Post #18195525th Jul 2007 12:01 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >