Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Inexpensive AV modification
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
discoBizz

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Glad it helped Thumbs Up

Regarding the TV option, unless you have the TV hardware fitted at factory, you would be better off getting an aftermarket TV tuner... though it can be done to retrofit the OEM hardware Thumbs Up

If you are referring to wiggs' and BBSSpy's attempts to enable the reversing camera feature in the OEM software, I understand this has progressed somehow but they still need to decipher some VBF files to make it fully functional on a D3. Watch this (the forum) space 8)

Post #6449825th May 2010 8:07 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Panoramix

Italy 2013 LR4 5.0 V8 HSE Lux Auto Alaska WhiteLR4

Yes, I referring to enable only TV button (without install hardware) so you do not always have go to in the diagnostic screen to see videos Thumbs Up

Discovery 3 "Tank", 2.7 TDV6 - Fully Land Rover Passion edition
LR4 "Enterprise", 5.0 V8 Petrol: now factory style but it will be like that for a long time Smile
L322 "Centurion 3.6 TDV8", Land Rover Passion edition in progress Smile 

Post #6449845th May 2010 8:19 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Ceekay

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Hi Guys

I may have missed something here but think I may be already blessed with the equivalent of this mod?

I have the overhead DVD player and right above my head is 3 composite inputs for pic and sound which at present there is a playstation2 plugged into them but I am sure I could use them for anything? Might try my iphone and play music and videos through here? I just switch it to Aux usually, for the dvd anyway never really used the playstation.

Any thoughts or confirmation of this would be appreciated.

Ceekay
 D4 HSE Lux MY16 Club Waitomo
D3 HSE MY06 missing her still… 

Post #69540821st Sep 2010 5:36 pm
discoBizz

Hi Ceekay,

is this the Rosen factory DVD player fixed on the roof just behind and between the two front seats, where the light cluster is?

Regardless, if the DVD also has a RCA composite input, then yes, you can plug just about anything but the picture will only show on the DVD screen, not the SatNav screen. The sound will depend on how the DVD is wired, but most likely should be available through the AUX choice on the head unit.

It would help if you have a pic... Thumbs Up
 ==> Guide - Inexpensive AV Modification
==> Guide - Extend the multimedia of your Discovery III (September 2011, v1.2 uploaded)  
Post #69541221st Sep 2010 5:49 pm
Ceekay

Thanks biz.

Yes it is the rosen overhead unit

Didnt think about the satnav screen got me thinkin if you can get the dvd pic to the front screen?

Suppose whatever input you are trying to watch you could watch in the back seat anyway.

Thanks fot that anyway

Post #69545321st Sep 2010 7:24 pm
diskelly

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Biz wrote:

If you are referring to wiggs' and BBSSpy's attempts to enable the reversing camera feature in the OEM software, I understand this has progressed somehow but they still need to decipher some VBF files to make it fully functional on a D3. Watch this (the forum) space 8)

Has anything come of this? Been searching but not found it elsewhere.

Post #71454610th Nov 2010 5:35 pm
Ceekay

Sorry diskelly
Not had chance to sort anything out yet unfortunately with other commitments and work etc. Will get around to it eventually . Let me know if you sort before me.

Post #71482111th Nov 2010 1:21 am
discoBizz

diskelly as far as I know some progress has been made but the process involves quite a bit of fiddling and swapping software to make the car think it's a RRS Shocked

Hence at the moment the process is not available to the public Big Cry
==> Guide - Extend the multimedia of your Discovery III (September 2011, v1.2 uploaded)  
Post #71483811th Nov 2010 6:07 am
diskelly

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Ah ok. Thanks for the reply though.

Post #71580413th Nov 2010 9:28 pm
drtaylor1977

2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Biz,

I have just started your mod, more for something to do than any actual use, but still looking forward to the results.

Only change I made to your suggested route (which was fantastic) was because I could not find a suitable little box to put the scart to RF adaptor into. I have therefore ditched the scart adaptor and used a 4-way phono socket which I got from Maplin for £1.79. It was like these but 4 in a line rather than square:
Click image to enlarge

And because I am verging on having OCD I did not like the fact that there were two red and two white sockets so I removed the ones that came on the board and bought the following gold plated yellow, white, red and black sockets for £1.49 each from Maplin:
Click image to enlarge

I have then soldered the coaxial wires to the back of the sockets and am going to cut a neat hole in the inside of the upper glove box (probably) and fit it in there.

Although this will not be as removable as your box Biz, I am hoping it will be neat enough that I will not need to ever remove it.

I'll put a picture up of the final result next week.

Post #72122926th Nov 2010 9:39 am
discoBizz

Nice one Thumbs Up

I've ended up doing something similar as well in the end:

Whistle Laughing

(the upper black are all for each of the video inputs behind the screen, the R/W/Y are for one of the AV inputs of the GVIF Wink )
Post #72127226th Nov 2010 11:43 am
Spencer

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hi Biz,
I am fairly new to all of this having recently purchased my 05 SE D3. Having three children I am keen to set up the AV for them in the back to keep my sanity! Very Happy

Looking at your guides, I think I've got this right, you've adopted two different methods of connecting AV, one using the SMB connectors at the rear of the screen and the second to install the GVIF interface and intercept the GVIF out from the sat nav. Can you kindly outline the pro's and con's of each.

My thoughts were to use the input to the screen via SMB DVD/TV with an out put from a video switcher like the ALPINE VPA-B211P, and have all feeds to and from this. Eg DVD player, iPod/iPhone etc.

Is the only difference, that I can see, is the DVD and other media input will be selectable from the front screen as apposed to the GVIF selecting all the sources and by having all sources go through the GVIF does this mean that when the reverse is engaged the reverse cam overrides everything?

Do you get a better picture quality using GVIF?

Thanks for your efforts in making the guides, they are certainly very useful

Cheers

Spencer

Post #7287309th Dec 2010 12:26 pm
rnlisg

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
a v mods

hi biz
amazed Bow down nice clear pics and excellent layout and details
i have just got a pioneer avic f55bt system to put in mine!and i am a bit nervous about fitting that! Rolling Eyes
sandy
Thumbs Up
 s/steel side tubes,door trims with bright inlay,front and rear light guards,half chrome mirror caps,mud flaps,chrome finishers on boot and rear bumper step,chrome finishers round gear shift and cup holders,chrome door handle covers.d/4 grille conversion,chrome foglamp bezzells,parrot bluetooth.***sadly missed**********  
Post #7289499th Dec 2010 6:57 pm
pjv

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

nice work guys - Ive cobbled fitment inder seat with flying leads to power 12v and video inputs. Not very happy with this so am thinking of new headunit with bells & whistles.
rnlisg - would be great if you do pioneer first and post pictures od course:bow:

pjv

Post #7289579th Dec 2010 7:06 pm
fedster

Italy 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

sorry..i've mistaked the post.. Sad

Post #73783827th Dec 2010 8:54 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >