Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

Installed: GPS tomtom go910, AUX input and 12v rear outlet
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
nikademus

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4
Installed: GPS tomtom go910, AUX input and 12v rear outlet

I'm getting my TDV6 ready for some trips this summer and I just finished this install and here's a few tips and some questions.

FirstI did the AUX input socket trick as covered well here:
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic2972.html?highlight=aux

Only tip is to use nice thick sheilded cable and its easy to run back to the binnacle console. I soldered a 3.5mm stereo plug on the end. Roughest soldering job in the world but it works. Also watch when pulling the passenger door side kick plate off as it need sto move in and back at the same time, well, sorta.

Had to remove all of the centre binnacle to run wires. Really easy once you carefully remove the fascia - pull from the bottom with both hands.

Drilled a small hole for wires at the back of the cubby where the landy dvd unit sits normally. Modified the tomtom screen bracket to suit. Changed the tomtom splash to custom landy splash - note that the go 910 uses a higher res splash then the 700.

I coulda made fascia but it seems silly as it will waste valuable space and make moving the unit tricky.

I ran 12 volt up from the right hand aux socket while I had it all apart.

At the same time I installed an extra 12v socket in the rear where the base model is missing one. $20 from landrover. Makes you wonder why they left it out.

Pics in my Gallery. Now I'm looking for tips on how to hook the dimmer light sensor in for auto night switching and how to educate my tomtom to talk properly to my XDA IIi. Any advice welcomed.

Nicko-
 Disco 2 TD5 "Good"
Disco 3 TDV6 "Better"
Disco 4 HSE SDV6 "Best"
The older I get, the better I was. 

Post #8604017th Sep 2006 6:21 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
OffRoader

Finland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
hard way

Looks great but the way how you did it seem to be the most extreme way with need to remove most of the desk, radio, AC control etc.
There is much much easier way to route the cables from top of the upper the glovebox to the place where the GPS is. Takes ~1 hour and the result will be perfect.

OffROADER
 -- too many modifications made to my Disco 3 to be listed in here --  
Post #8608217th Sep 2006 4:43 pm
christyler

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Re: hard way

OffRoader wrote:
There is much much easier way to route the cables from top of the upper the glovebox to the place where the GPS is. Takes ~1 hour and the result will be perfect.

OffROADER

Easer to route the cables, yes. but if you want the hole in the bottom of the space you need to drill the hole from the bottom up. So that is why the stuff has to come out.
 CLUB "Ah Shor it'll be grand"

First D3 in the World with a Hydraulic Winch.
2006 Disco 3 TDV6 S Auto,
Diff Locks, Turbochipped, Raised Air Intake, 220volts Onboard, Onboard Compressor, Large Bore Exahust, Underbody Protection, One or two Other Mods as well.
Other toys include, Argo Avenger 8x8, Tatra 6x6 Motorhome (Being Built) 

Post #8610917th Sep 2006 9:11 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
nikademus

You're probably right, I could have done that and come in the side, but it dodn't take long to pull all that stuff out and it was kinda fun - in an excruciatingly painful sorta way. Now I need to find an easy way to hook up to a 12 volt feed back there without taking the lower power plug tray out. Got any ideas?

Nicko-
 Disco 2 TD5 "Good"
Disco 3 TDV6 "Better"
Disco 4 HSE SDV6 "Best"

Post #8623618th Sep 2006 12:02 pm
nikademus

Ok, I'm dumber then I thought.

Driving to Melbourne for a business meeting this morning it was 28 degrees by 10am. Switched on the aircon.

Nuthing. Nada. Nil. Zip.

Here's the tip: when you put the aircon panel back on, there are THREE plugs that need to be reconnected.

Sheesh. What a maroon huh? Styill, only took about 5 mins to rip it out and reaffix.
 Disco 2 TD5 "Good"
Disco 3 TDV6 "Better"
Disco 4 HSE SDV6 "Best"

Post #8644619th Sep 2006 9:27 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >