Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Installing 2nd battery ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 5 <12345
bohnhead

United States 

Hello,
I'm in the US and want to install a second battery to power offroad lights, winch, fridge, and the like.

My battery is on the right side of the vehicle and I noticed there is a nice place for a second battery on the right, with a battery mount and everything. I'm told this is where the battery is in the UK versions. The space on the left is slightly smaller than the current battery.

Just last week I ordered a set of battery anchors to hold a second battery in this space. I was planning to purchase an optima, deep-cycle battery and purchase an isolator system.

drivesafe, is your battery system available yet? Will it work on the US version of the LR3?

Thx,
MTB-)

Post #5853316th May 2006 5:49 am
drivesafe

Australia 

Hi bohnhead, our unit will work in ALL D3s and RRSs but is not ready yet.

The device that we currently have that LR OKed for use, the SC40-LR is available but as posted earlier, this device will protect the vehicle and vehicle's battery but will not protect the new battery.

The SC40-LR will most likely work in 95% of applications but will not protect the auxiliary battery if continuos high voltage charging occurs.

To our knowledge, there is nothing on the market that can cater for the D3 charging system, approved or otherwise.

We will be installing the first production prototype in the next week or so and then we will have so idea of when it will be available.

Sorry it’s taking so long but we decided to develop a complete system requirement device rather than just the standard dual battery set up.

Developing the full system device was decided after a large number of requests were made for our device to be able to be used for different types of set up situations.

The new unit will virtually be two devises in one and be able to be simply programmed by the installer ( or owner ) to operate in a number ways to meet different user requirements.

It will not only protect the D3’s cranking battery from being discharged but it will also protect the auxiliary battery from over charging, high currents, low discharging and can be set up to allow a third battery to be charged and the device can be set up to operate the two auxiliary batteries in a number of configurations, depending on customer requirements.

Again, sorry for the delay but it should be ready soon.
 2008 TDV8 RR Lux + 2009 D4 2.7  
Post #5853816th May 2006 6:31 am
nwoods

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol Base 5 Seat Auto Chawton WhiteLR3

My intended uses include high intensity exterior "Baja Style" lights, rear area flood lights (roof rack mounted for illuminating camping sites), constant power to rear 12V DC outlets for use in my Remote control airplane hobbies (need to charge their little batteries frequently), a fridge unit someday, etc...

Post #5927820th May 2006 8:13 am
drivesafe

Australia 

Hi nwoods, the following is just a suggestion.

First, could you list the power rating of all your devices so I can give you a better idea of how to set up.

But anyway here goes.

As you need so much power I would suggest you install either a wet cell or maintenance free deep cycle battery as your auxiliary battery under the bonnet.

Hi tech batteries will charge slightly faster then a wet cell but this may not be an advantage in your case as from what I can gather you will need lots of power for a short period of time but will then have the battery being charged back up over a longer period.

This is the reason I suggest the wet cell deep cycle battery. You get more stored capacity for a give size from a wet cell than you do from an equal sized hi tech battery.

Next, with a little ingenuity, you could probably make a quick release battery cradle for the rear of the D3 and then you only need to fit an additional battery in the rear, on those occasions when you need it.

Or alternatively, you could leave the second auxiliary battery in place and charging and only remove it if you need the space.

The wet cell deep cycle batteries would also workout heaps cheaper.

Cheers.
Post #5928720th May 2006 9:08 am
drivesafe

Australia 

Hi folks, I’ve been carrying out tests on my D3 to aid in the development of our new dual battery charge controllers for the D3s and RRSs and a major part of our R & D is based on info supplied to us by LRA, which included info about symptoms relating to incompatibility problems that these vehicles are suffering from when dual battery systems are fitted.

This is my opinion and only based on these tests we have have been conducting, but I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that batteries capable of rapid high current charging may very well be overloading the charge capacity of the D3 and RRS.

In test I have done, and I will have to get them confirmed by LRA, the D3 needs 20 to 30 amps just to maintain the vehicles electrical needs at idle and with the headlights on and in high beam, the current requirements regularly exceed 50 amps.

If you then have a rapid high current charging battery in a low state of charge, throw in a few driving lights, add the fact that the D3 and RRS can produce well over 15 volts and you can see how the system can be very easily and quickly be overloaded.

As you can imagine, this is all making our job a little harder but the end product should be worth all the work.

If anybody has had any experiences along these lines could you post your info here or PM me.

I will try to keep you all informed of anything I learn as I go.

Cheers.
Post #5929120th May 2006 9:36 am
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Thanks for the info Drivesafe, do you think you will have a product available before October?

Post #5947722nd May 2006 10:50 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
drivesafe

Australia 

10forcash wrote:
do you think you will have a product available before October?

I definitely hope so.

The basics for the new devices has actually been undergoing in use testing for the last 18 months and only has to have additional programming completed and tested to enable them to be used in the D3 and RRS.

The problem is as posted above. The more we investigate the way the electrics operate in the D3, the more work we have to do to the program to allow the additional info to be processed to it’s full potential by the new devices.

It’s taking time and a lot more time than we expected.

We have learnt a huge amount on how these vehicles work and it’s made our job that much hard but at the same time we are finding out how incredible they are and they are, like all things Landy the for runner of what every other manufacturer will have to do.

The info I’ve posted in this thread so far is just the very basics of what we have to get the new devices to do to be able to optimise the electrics in these vehicles. ( can’t let to many secrets out )

I will keep you posted on our progress and I apologise for the delay but it’s something we just can’t rush.

Cheers.
Post #5949722nd May 2006 11:53 am
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Cheers Drivesafe,
I fully understand the commercial sensitivity Wink
If you need a 'test mule' this side of the equator.... i'm yer man Laughing

Post #5950222nd May 2006 11:59 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
drivesafe

Australia 

10forcash wrote:
If you need a 'test mule' this side of the equator.... i'm yer man Laughing

Thanks but by the time we start shipping them that side of the equator, they will have be fully tested.

Thanks anyway and cheers Laughing
Post #5950622nd May 2006 12:04 pm
bohnhead

United States 

Does this problem simplify significantly if one uses a calcium/lead calcium battery as the second battery? Would that not eliminate much of the complexity?

MTB-)

Post #5959922nd May 2006 7:21 pm
drivesafe

Australia 

bohnhead wrote:
Does this problem simplify significantly if one uses a calcium/lead calcium battery as the second battery?

Hi bohnhead, it would, except that Calcium / Lead Calcium batteries, if used as auxiliary batteries, will have a very short operating life as they do NOT like being continually deep discharged and was one of the main reasons LRA approached us and asked us to come up with a system that would protect the vehicle's battery.

If only you could use the Calcium / Lead Calcium batteries as an auxiliary battery then our work would not be needed, but as post above, we have to cater for batteries that can be deep cycled and be safely used in the D3 and RRS.

Cheers.

Just a side note. One of the problems LRA pointed out to us is that down the road, when the vehicle’s battery eventually needs to be replaced, LRA envision seeing a lot of people have problems when they DON’T replace the vehicle battery with another Calcium / Lead Calcium battery.
Post #5964522nd May 2006 11:22 pm
LR3ROVER

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Tonga GreenLR3

Ready yet, the thread ended in May...I was looking into placing the dual system on my rig. I didn't see it anywhere else on the forum???

Cancel..... Found the other threads Thumbs Up
 Who wants to play?  
Post #17610210th Jul 2007 3:15 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 5 of 5 <12345
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >