Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Installing Webasto AirTop or Eberspacher into Disco 3 cabin?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
irimi

Turkey 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
Installing Webasto AirTop or Eberspacher into Disco 3 cabin?

Hi guys,
I did search the database but didn't come up with any topics. I am thinking about installing a FBH into the cabin under and behind 2nd row seats. Since mu vehicle is 5 seater I have a enough space there. I need it to work as a cabin heater when sleeping in the vehicle while camping. Any other placement suggestions? I wish I could bury in the side panels in the trunk but I was told FBHs are ment to operate paralel to the ground. It will be Eberspacher D2.

Thank you.
 2005 Disco 3 TDV6 HSE, 2.5" Johnson Rods lift kit, 265/70R17 Mickey Thompson MTZ tires, Heavy Duty front axles, 12.000 lbs discrete mounted winch, Mantec Sump guard, LR Raised Air intake, Albrecht 6890 CB Radio, Superchips ECU remapped, Sprint Booster Throttle Response, K&N air filter, Waeco fridge, 42" & 23" LED bars, Britpart rock sliders....  
Post #187139223rd Oct 2017 12:58 pm
mike23118

Wales 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Remember it will need an exhaust, maybe place in engine bay and link it some how to blow through in car vents .

Post #187145423rd Oct 2017 3:19 pm
Bobbygg

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I'd go for as far away from your head as possible - I fitted an airtop in my campervan and fitted it in the passenger footwell and it still wakes me in the morning, but at least I'm warm when I'm awake 8)
 D3 V8 with active rear diff  
Post #187146023rd Oct 2017 3:32 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I like them a lot but I would try and mount it outside of the cabin space that way any failure will not kill you.
We have on one our boat and I will run it to heat the cabin, but as soon as its kip time off it goes.

Horizontal is best, exhaust and inlet pipe prefer to be the same length.
Im sure it can be done but will take longer to work out the install than the actual fit up.

Post #187147323rd Oct 2017 3:54 pm
irimi

mike23118 wrote:
Remember it will need an exhaust, maybe place in engine bay and link it some how to blow through in car vents .

I thought of taking the exhaust in to the rear left wheel well and the intake to the rear right one. There might be an opening underbody around there under the floor lining maybe?

To use the vents I'd go with the Thermo Top Z which the car already has. I'd try to get that system work. I want a stand alone cabin heater so I can take the warm air to the tent if I wish through the hose if needed.
 2005 Disco 3 TDV6 HSE, 2.5" Johnson Rods lift kit, 265/70R17 Mickey Thompson MTZ tires, Heavy Duty front axles, 12.000 lbs discrete mounted winch, Mantec Sump guard, LR Raised Air intake, Albrecht 6890 CB Radio, Superchips ECU remapped, Sprint Booster Throttle Response, K&N air filter, Waeco fridge, 42" & 23" LED bars, Britpart rock sliders....  
Post #187147623rd Oct 2017 4:06 pm
irimi

Bobbygg wrote:
I'd go for as far away from your head as possible - I fitted an airtop in my campervan and fitted it in the passenger footwell and it still wakes me in the morning, but at least I'm warm when I'm awake 8)

Thank you. I will take that in to consideration but the space for this application is very limited.
Post #187147923rd Oct 2017 4:08 pm
irimi

lynalldiscovery wrote:
I like them a lot but I would try and mount it outside of the cabin space that way any failure will not kill you.
We have on one our boat and I will run it to heat the cabin, but as soon as its kip time off it goes.

Horizontal is best, exhaust and inlet pipe prefer to be the same length.
Im sure it can be done but will take longer to work out the install than the actual fit up.

I think since it's diesel it can not poison or at least silently kill me. So you'd definitely wake up. You could carry a battery operated smoke detector. But thank you for the warning.

So they can be mounted at an angle?
Post #187148123rd Oct 2017 4:11 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

I would try and utilize the one under the bonnet and fit a divertor valve to pump the water thru the cabin matrix
and find a way to power up the cabin fan.

Post #187152423rd Oct 2017 5:51 pm
irimi

Pete K wrote:
I would try and utilize the one under the bonnet and fit a divertor valve to pump the water thru the cabin matrix
and find a way to power up the cabin fan.

I thought of that but working for long hours wouldn't it kill the battery? I mean the little fan on the FBHs also drain the battery while the cabin fans would drain it much faster. Remember it will be working for at least 8-10 hours at sub zero Celsius degrees.
Post #187167324th Oct 2017 7:50 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Other than the noise issue, the rear left hand boot panel is ideal. Holes in the floor with grommets there for feeding inlet pipes and exhaust.
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #187168324th Oct 2017 8:26 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Why not just buy the full Danhag kit, this lets you run the fans in the cabin for as long as you want, I and many others bought the kit quite a few years ago and its been great.

This kit just uses the original FBH setup and just requires a little extra wiring. Full instructions are on the board.

Also be aware on the FBH exhust there is a little hole right near the unit, so having one running inside the cabin would be quite risky if you ask me.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #187170624th Oct 2017 10:13 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

I assumed any solution would be using a secondary battery

Post #187174724th Oct 2017 12:09 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >