Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Instrument cluster, brush bar, cruise control & tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Discovery343

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Following my previous issues with my trip computer, brush bar and cruise control, I contacted LR Australia to air my displeasure. It seems now the only way to get my trip computer to read in kilometers is to replace the whole instrument cluster! That, of course, is on back-order. They cannot then replicate my speedo readings so my car will have travelled 0 kilometers! A nice Arfur Daley move! As to the cruise control repairs - who knows? The firewall and security settings at "the customer care" email address are so tight that you cannot attach photos of problem areas and have to paste photos onto a Word document. I am still awaiting some help on that useless and dangerous factory "brush bar". Slashed another Cooper ST sidewall (now #5) on a rocky track a couple of weekends back but Cooper now seem to be taking an interest in my dilemma. Thank goodness the vehicle is so magnificent in the bush - unbelievable!
 05 Discovery 3 SE TDV6 Chawton White with roof rails, driving lights, steel side protection rails. Rego: DISCO3  
Post #5787712th May 2006 7:23 pm
espri

Austria 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

On p.83 of the Owner's Handbook it explains 'Selecting Settings Option' and one of these is 'Trip Distance Units' with the options 'Miles/Km'. It is not clear to me whether this is for the odometer in the speedometer or only for the reading in the Message Centre. Strangely, in the (English) handbook, the picture of the odometer on p.96 shows km and the speedometer is calibrated for MPH and km/h. Do you Aussies have that too or did LRA think that was too complicated for you Wink ?

It seems, though, that you need the steering wheel with buttons to make selections. Even if you don't have that, I cannot imagine why they would have to replace the whole instrument cluster, if you only want the Trip Distance displayed on the odometer (maybe if you wanted the speed displayed in kms/hr). I would have expected that such a change would have been possible at a garage with appropriate computer test gear.

Does anyone know whether it is possible to access these settings if you don't have the buttons on the steering wheel?

Eric

Post #5790912th May 2006 10:45 pm
d3syd

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Discovery343

At the risk of making you repeat everything, what problem do you have with your cruise control? As for the trip computer reading in mph, I too would assume that changing it to kph should be a simple matter of setting. This after all I believe can be done on a D2 quite easily. Strange.

As for the brush bar, I've seen your pics Shocked

BTW g'day from a fellow Tasmanian.
 '06 TDV6 SE AUTO BUCKINGHAM BLUE
'98 Volvo V70
'87 Mecedes 420 SEL
'08 BMW 135i Coupe Twin Turbo 

Post #5792113th May 2006 2:52 am
Discovery343

The SE model sold into Australia does not have the option to change settings through the stalk. We have had it connected to the local LR service centre computer while communicating with the LR Australia centre. They could not fix it. Thus, a new instrument cluster. Apparently, there may be a repair disc available from LR in UK in two months time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will not wait for that.
 05 Discovery 3 SE TDV6 Chawton White with roof rails, driving lights, steel side protection rails. Rego: DISCO3  
Post #5792213th May 2006 2:53 am
Discovery343

The cruise control works intermittently. Most times when I start the cruise control will work until I hit the "-" to decrease speed. Then it dies and I have to restart the vehicle to get it to work again. This is not guaranteed to work every time either.
Post #5792313th May 2006 3:00 am
d3syd

Right.

And has your trip computer displayed in mph from day one or did it decide to go imperial all of a sudden?

I guess the more complex something is the more things there are to go wrong, no matter how much money is thrown at it. Just look at the space shuttle.
'98 Volvo V70
'87 Mecedes 420 SEL

Post #5792413th May 2006 3:06 am
Discovery343

The display changed when I had a software upgrade to help with suspension problems and the cruise control!
Post #5792713th May 2006 3:57 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

We (10forcash and me) have upgraded the two standard 8mm bolts that go through the bumper to hold the brush bar (or nudge bar as they call it in the UK) on to 10mm studs and nuts, the fixing is now more rigid. It's still deformable as it needs to be for air-bag compatabilty but won't knock off so easily if hit from below which is likely when off-roading, which is what I seem to remember happened with yours Discovery343
 The End  
Post #5792813th May 2006 4:14 am
Discovery343

I remember your comments about the 10mm bolts when I first posted my concerns. However, I do not trust the fact that 2.7 tonnes of vehicle will easily knock the bar up and forward when I'm in some of the places I go. It only has to dig in and disaster looms. No thanks!
Post #5793413th May 2006 5:36 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I suppose there has to be a compromise somewhere on a modern vehicle with air-bags etc, and accessories like nudge bars. Mine has had a few hard knocks and hasn't come off yet.
 The End  
Post #5793513th May 2006 5:52 am
Vo Rogue

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3
Re: Instrument cluster, brush bar, cruise control & tyre

Discovery343 wrote:
The cruise control works intermittently. Most times when I start the cruise control will work until I hit the "-" to decrease speed. Then it dies and I have to restart the vehicle to get it to work again. This is not guaranteed to work every time either.

Ah this is interesting. This happened to me once so far - after being on very steep tracks in the bush and I had put it down to being confused as I had used the +/- buttons to adjust speed on some of the descents. Turned car off and on once and it cleared it. Perhaps there are more general gremlins involved.

Post #5793613th May 2006 6:12 am
Jamo

Australia 

Sounds to me like there was probably some type of programming/hardware error in the instrument cluster that didn't rear it's ugly head until the software upgrade was done.

Computers are wonderful things aren't they!

D'you know, in the eighties, the French sent up one of their Ariane rockets and it blew up in mid flight. IT had two computers on boad, a main and a spare. The programming in the main computer had one of the variable ranges set to high. This resulted in some information being sent to a process that couldn't read such a high variable. It sent it to an 'exception handler' which is a process that sorts out the problem. This process was programmed to shut the computer down if such an error occured and switch over to the back-up computer. Problem was, the back-up coputer had exactly the same programming, so the exact same problem occured. One bad piece of programming resulted in a multi-million dollar rocket (carrying someones billions dollar satellite) blowing up in mid air!
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #5793713th May 2006 6:47 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
d3syd

It goes to show that even with huge budgets and enormous manpower (NASA, ESA, etc), there will always be errors and bugs in complex systems. The problems when they reveal themselves usually seem trivial in hindsight, an you wonder how they were missed.

I guess the best way to iron them out is a long period of field testing, something that car makers can't afford to do on their own without our help. Sad
'98 Volvo V70
'87 Mecedes 420 SEL

Post #5793813th May 2006 7:28 am
DISCO444

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I've twice had a similar problem with my cruise control but had put it down to my stupidity. When changing a setting the cc would just cut out entirely and would not start again until the engine (and computer) had been shut down and restarted.
 2006 Discovery SE Zambezi Silver
ARB bull bar, Warn winch, Light Force lights, Safari Snorkel, Dual battery, Uniden UHF, Barrett 2050 HF radio, LR fuel tank, Kaymar rear wheel carrier, Mickey Thompson MTZ's, Open Sky roof top tent. 

Post #5804514th May 2006 7:14 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Glymmer_Man

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

discovery343 wrote:
The SE model sold into Australia does not have the option to change settings through the stalk.

My SE has the "i" button on the stalk. Works too??? Shocked

I had a problem with my cruise once. I took it back to the dealer and they replaced............. I'll have to check my paperwork, and I'll reply again. Smile

Post #5818814th May 2006 11:24 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >