Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Finance, Insurance and Warranties

Insurance claim dilema - advice please!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
gasdisco

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hi Paul,
Sounds typical Copart. When I lodged a claim after the open O/S rear door was hit and wouldn't close, my insurance company wrote the Disco off first thing next morning on the strength of the photos sent with the claim. Copart were on the phone before I saw the insurers e-mail demanding to know where the Disco was so they could collect it. The caller was very aggressive in stating that the insurer had instructed them and when advised that my recovery agent was arranging delivery to my home they demanded that it was delivered to them as it was a condition of the claim that they take position of the vehicle!!
I refused and contacted my insurer who advised that as the vehicle belonged to me I could decide what happened to it and confirmed that I could decide whether to retain the "salvage" or accept a total loss payment. in which case vehicle would be collected by the salvage agent.
He said that he had cancelled Copart's involvement by email as we spoke, but that didn't stop their calls and texts for a few days.
I kept the Disco and repaired the door then agreed the value etc with the Assessor's agent, again on the strength of photos and telephone discussions, all done in the space of 5 days.
The insurers didn't require an MOT or inspection and renewed at the same price recently, so the Cat S notation hasn't caused any issues- Cat S as the assessor assumed B pillar damage which was not the case but he said Cat S retention cost is 25% of vehicle value and Cat N is 30%. I got 75% of the agreed value and repaired for less than 10% of that but a damage notation on the V5c.
Hope you get sorted out quickly
Regards, Bill
 01 Discovery2 V8 LPG - Resting
96 Discovery 300 V8 LPG - Resting
91 Discovery 200 TDI - Sold
71 Range Rover (Perkins 4.203) deceased 

Post #22603094th Nov 2021 3:03 pm
paulmeryan

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Thanks Bill. I had to get very firm with Copart about the car being my property and the claim progress being none of their business. Axa isn't being great either and their language around things like retain value should be clearer. I want to see in writing either how much it would cost me to buy the car back from them if I retain salvage, or how much I would receive in compensation if I reject total loss and retain the car. Just so I don't make any mistakes.

A-Plan is on the case now hopefully getting it sorted for me. What I'm trying to avoid is being pressured into making a choice before I've thought things through. I've rejected the total loss valuation and while they're responding I need my car. I don't want to indicate whether I'll decide total loss or retain lest it affects their revised offer. Axa hasn't mentioned whether my insurance is still valid or not, but I presume cover is still in place and they'd need to expressly notify me otherwise. It would aslo be nice to know if they will apply any conditions if I retain the car. My cover runs till May but it is due the MOT 21st Nov.
 VR6 > 330D Touring > D3 HSE > !?XC90?!  
Post #22603214th Nov 2021 4:35 pm
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

It is not in Coparts interest to return the car to you….
Copart pay your insurer a sum of money each year (£10 million plus) and as a result then get all of that insurers salvage.
Hence they want to retain the car and sell it to the industry to recover as much money as possible.

In your case if you keep the car then Copart will probably bill a collection and storage charge back to the insurer.

This is why there is resistance from them with the vague threats etc…

So you are clear you want the best possible valuation for your car which the insurer will repay to you.. and the purchase figure to retain will be taken off that value…so you will receive the car back ( consider recovery costs if it’s not drivable) and a cheque from the insurer for the difference ( minus the buyback value). As stated before if you are paying instalments on the policy this will also become required back which will also be taken off the final figure….

Post #22603234th Nov 2021 4:36 pm
paulmeryan

Realising who Copart are now I feel quite mislead by Axa. I get what's going on now and why I'm being pressured to settle. Axa has emailed me after A-Plan contacted them on my behalf to say I would incur a cost for delivery to my home address if I need my vehicle returning now as it would mean cancelling their instruction to Copart.

What annoys me most is that Axa did not explain my car was being sent to a salvage company and my understanding was that it was being collected by a damage assessor as that what I asked for. They merely advised me to remove anything with my personal details on it from the vehicle before handing it over, which supported my view that I would get the car back after assessment. I still have some items of personal and real value (sockets under the 3rd row and possibly other items I can't recall) in the vehicle as I only removed my C-tek charger and Heyner air compressor. So I'm kind of obliged now to accept whatever retain value we end up at.

Boils my p Censored it really does.
Post #22603384th Nov 2021 6:44 pm
paulmeryan

Farmer Chalk wrote:
you will receive the car back ( consider recovery costs if it’s not drivable) and a cheque from the insurer for the difference ( minus the buyback value). As stated before if you are paying instalments on the policy this will also become required back which will also be taken off the final figure….

The car drives great and I pay my insurance up front. Wish I'd never let them take it away. Gone through all this just to try and get a bent suspension arm fixed. Told them I didn't care about the dented bodywork. It'd only cost a grand to put two new upper arms on it. No wonder it's so hard to find someone who can just repair something. Insurers distort the markets for trades in auto and home maintenance too, as I realised when I had my first home claim 5 years ago. When I saw the settlement figure for a new ceiling and associated electrics after a water escape I wondered why any plasterer or spark would want to work directly for a homeowner.
Post #22603404th Nov 2021 6:55 pm
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Before final agreement if you are buying it back I would go and inspect it to make sure no further damage has been occasioned to it and to ensure your personal effects are still there…

You are still in a very good bargaining position…. Deal with the two things separately… I.e the pre accident value ( PAV) is one thing and the salvage thing is another…

Firstly get them to agree a proper price for the title of you car.. show them adverts of similar vehicles for sale, I.e links of eBay, autotrader etc to demonstrate its higher value. It is normal to reject their offers but whilst negotiating make sure you include in any email that the vehicle is still your property and it should not be disposed of prior to any acceptance of valuation by yourself. ( it has been known for salvage companies to dispose of vehicles prior to the negotiation completion)

Once that value has been agreed then tell them that you what to retain the salvage yourself and then you should receive a cheque for the agreed pav minus the retention figure..

You should be quids in at the end of it!

Post #22604035th Nov 2021 12:10 am
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

paulmeryan wrote:
Insurers distort the markets for trades in auto.

First i am sorry this is happening to you.. really…

Having said this…. Regarding your quote…. TBH people who are buying “extended warranty” on old motors are the ones who distort the markets…. There is no such thing as extended warranty, since it has nothing to do with warranty… it is a “gamble” ticket you buy.. if nothing happens, you loose money, if something happens, you can be lucky…. That is what it is… and the insurers are making the rules…
So big chance you/we loose more often than they do, it is their business model..

It looks also as a UK specific “thing” (or maybe some other country’s) but we don’t have this in The Netherlands… no one buys extended “warranty” on older vehicles… at least not after 10 year’s..

New motors and houses, full insurance is a “no brainer” but old motors? Older than 10 years? I do only insure my vehicles older than 10 years, as basic insurance (damage to someone else) and save a lot of money, making some reservations myself… saved me a huge amount the last 30 years Wink

I hope you can solve this issue ofcourse… insurers and bank’s can never be trusted regarding your interests… Big Cry
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #22604065th Nov 2021 12:58 am
paulmeryan

I sent a mental email to Axa yesterday. Followed it up with a more sane one this morning per Farmer Chalks advice.

Thanks Motolab. Warranty made no sense on my vehicle after 150K miles. I get what you're saying, though warranties are also insurance i.e. compensatory. What I meant was insurance drives up trade pricing without guaranteeing the trades people are any better. The price is passed onto the insured parties via the premiums. Ultimately though I'm happier being insured and paying a bit more to resolve things this way than having to deal directly and getting frustrated. The older I get the less tolerance I have for inconvenience and prefer a frictionless transaction to any bother whatsoever. It's why Amazon, Uber, Airbnb and others have succeeded. Cutting out the middle man used to be seen as a good thing, but they can be useful.
Post #22604505th Nov 2021 10:48 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >