Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

Integrated Aftermarket Nav in D3 using D4 GS Surround
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 17 of 19 <123 ... 16 171819>
Lee5150

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

What colour is the standard grey of the H trim in this picture?

I'm going to buy a D4 surround and spray it the same colour hopefully!

Post #131653427th Jul 2014 4:04 pm
Lee5150

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

This is my attempt. It's a 1490tv.

It all works well and looks very professional after a slight angle adjustment i noticed on the pics!! Thanks to Dave for the inspiration for all this!
As I seem to have my music on quite loud whilst I'm driving, having the nav on 80% volume was just too low. Then turning it up to 90% or 100% just distorts. Brainwave, why not have an external speaker somewhere?!

I found this speaker in an old business call speakerphone unit.

This was the perfect mounting hole!

3 pieces of meccano and 3 self tapping screws later it was mounted.

The only trouble was getting a wire to it. I could find NO channel down to the glovebox or behind the H trim. Finally 3 hours I found one. It turned out to be pretty easy actually.

As the signal from the earphone socket is very low volume when attached to an external speaker I bought a little amplifier to boost the signal. Now it's nice and loud. The TV sounds brilliant through it when I'm parked up!

As another little added extra I have added a little on off switch to the inside of the upper glovebox as a kill switch in case the satnav crashes or I don't need it for that journey. Id rather have a black screen than just a menu. I thought about buying an eco-route cable to display something worth looking at but couldn't justify it, I'll turn it off instead!

The next job is to fit my reversing camera. Not looking forward to that as I haven't had the back end in bits yet! I'm sure all will go well!

Post #13214767th Aug 2014 8:01 am
ab54666

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Here's mine I had fitted a while ago, Snooper S8000 - Great Sat Nav, best i've ever owned, incudes Traffic Alerts, Speed Camera's, also has reverse Camera (Pioneer), Digital TV, Bluetooth (I don't use) and you can load music and videos as well as Photo's for some reason! Connected via Aux for watching TV and sound through the speakers. Hard wired in for power, comes on with ignition.

Main Menu

TV

Reverse Camera, you can turn lines off if you want

Sat Nav, you can see the traffic top left, goes red if any traffic issues on route which you can press and it'll select an alternative route.

If anyone is looking for a sat nav i'd highly recommend a Snooper. The S8000 can be had for about £325, when I got mine it had lifetime updates included for maps and TMC. They now do a DB8500 which includes DAB and FM transmitter for easier connection to the radio (just choose a frequency).
 2007 XS  
Post #132594417th Aug 2014 12:38 pm
Narpy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Lee, interesting you had problems with your 1490TV volume as mine has been absolutely fine since I did the same mod.
Sound is on 90% but not distorted at all.
If you press the speed icon in the bottom right corner when booted up, another screen appears with actual speed and distance covered stats which is better than staring at the sat-nav. Thumbs Up

Reverse camera is a simple addition and the 1490TV will auto select the reverse camera image when you select reverse providing you wire your camera to the reverse light power lead. Thumbs Up
Run the cable for your reverse camera behind the trim on the tailgate and through the left hand grommet into the car. From behind the headlining go across to the passenger side C pillar then along the floor to the bonnet release lever and from there up behind the glovebox. Voila, sorted. Mr. Green

One other thing, a 5 metre lead is not enough, get at least 7 metres, 8 is even better. Wink
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
The 1st Ever RRS Modded Grill
Garmin Nuvi + D4 Surround + Reversing Camera.
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Wing Mirror Indicator Repeaters.
Long Roof Rails
Make your own Narpy grill thread
I'm not scared, I'm outta here. 

Post #132595217th Aug 2014 12:58 pm
Arif

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Lee5150 does the cd/radio volume automatically lower if the nav gives an audible instruction? I like the idea of using the dash speaker
 Geoff: EGR's blanked, gearbox flushed, allisport hoses, BAS Remap, 3 flash indicator, D4 bluetooth, remote FBH
Uncle Ray: Spare wheel protector
Flack: Reverse camera
Allisport de-cat pipe, D4 19" alloys, D4 piano black steering wheel, piano black interior, colour coded trim, cubby fridge, full length roof rails 

Post #136692631st Oct 2014 5:45 pm
G_Cam

Scotland 2013 Discovery 3 3.0 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 3

or you could just buy this......

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Disco...27e968d75a

£479.95... but its FREE postage Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

a bit cheeky is it not....
 1 TR6 Rusting away quietly
1 FARR UTV SOLD
1 International Harvester SOLD
7 x D3 all SOLD
2 x D4 both SOLD
1 x Mrs D4 'Panther' SOLD
1 x Outlander van SOLD
1 continual stream of car parts and me living in the garage... 

Post #14366443rd Mar 2015 2:49 pm
Tuglife

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3
D4 Surround With Newer 6" Garmin?

So appears as you lads have sorted out THE way of fitting an aftermarket sat nav in the LR3. Guess I better give it a go. Cheers and thanks!!

I've found an online seller for the D4 surround here in the states. Not easy I might add. Not sure if the non nav was an option over here. Anyhow my question to you guys who've fitted the 1490 and 2595 5" screens which seem to fit perfectly in the surround is do you believe it possible to go bigger? I'm an American after all Whistle There are quite a few newer options nowadays from Garmin and there are plenty in the 6" range that I like but making it look as stock and darn pretty as you boys have is my main concern. Just wondering if the inside opening of the surround could be trimmed a little wider and if the slightly larger dimensions of the 6" units would still fit into the cubby attached like you've all done it to the surround? Maybe it's a fools folly when you've already devised such a slick solution but hey, I don't know any guy who wouldn't want an extra inch if the could have it. Very Happy

Here's the dimensions of the 6" models(they're all virtually the same with a few minor differences in thickness).

Garmin 6" model physical dimensions 6.6"W x 3.7"H x 0.8"D (16.8 x 9.4 x 2.1 cm)
Display size, WxH 5.4”W x 2.8”H (13.6 x 7.2 cm); 6.1” diag (15.4 cm)

Garmin nuvi 1490tv
Physical dimensions 5.4"W x 3.4"H x .7"D (13.7 x 8.6 x 1.78 cm)

D4 nav surround opening 118mm x 62mm
So essentially I'd need to enlarge the opening 18mm width wise and 10mm height wise. That's not much at all but from pics I see the surround has some complex angles on the interior portion. Also have no clue if the whole unit itself will allow the surround to fit back into the cubby nice and flush. Guess I could just order them and give it a shot. If it didn't work I'd have a trashed surround and a too large Nav that I could always return. Just wanted to pick your brains on this before I waste some time and $$.

Post #14847618th Jun 2015 12:21 am
Narpy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

It should work but there is a major problem. Not only will you have to rework the surround ( it's plastic and will file easily ) but the physical width of the 6" Garmin will make life almost impossible to fit into the cubby AND plug everything in IF the plugs and sockets are on the side of the unit as per the 1490TV.

With the 1490TV install, there's very little room once everything is connected so although it fits neatly, there's no extra room at the sides to accomodate the extra width of the 6"and plug all the connectors up.

If the connectors are on the reverse side you should be ok but if they're on the side, it's probably not worth the hassle unless you intend to start cutting away the side of the cubby box. Rolling Eyes
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
The 1st Ever RRS Modded Grill
Garmin Nuvi + D4 Surround + Reversing Camera.
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Wing Mirror Indicator Repeaters.
Long Roof Rails
Make your own Narpy grill thread
I'm not scared, I'm outta here. 

Post #14847968th Jun 2015 7:22 am
G_Cam

Scotland 2013 Discovery 3 3.0 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 3

The 1490TV also has the added benefit of being usable as a TV/camera screen.

There could well be other units offering this facility now? ie the Snooper ..
 1 TR6 Rusting away quietly
1 FARR UTV SOLD
1 International Harvester SOLD
7 x D3 all SOLD
2 x D4 both SOLD
1 x Mrs D4 'Panther' SOLD
1 x Outlander van SOLD
1 continual stream of car parts and me living in the garage... 

Post #14848468th Jun 2015 10:08 am
Tuglife

Well the 1490TV was never available here in the US(according to Garmin site). The TV function looks pretty awesome but seems as it was a European market only feature. Digital TV is not a very popular service here. Major cities offer a couple channels and as I understand they'd only be good in or around close vicinity(America is a big place). None of the current models mention anything about this feature. Believe me I'd love to have had it but looks like a non issue as even if I sourced one online it would doubtful be fitted with North American maps and adding or hacking that feature is unlikely, especially for my computer skill level. Not only this but it seems from what I've read that the A/V input/output feature is a thing of the past. The only backup camera options now on offer are bluetooth cameras. So there seems to no longer even be plugs fitted to add your own camera. You have to buy the Significantly more expensive Garmin camera. Maybe a cheaper aftermarket bluetooth camera would also work but that's yet to be seen. Bluetooth camera is quite nice in that nothing needs be run the whole way to dash from rear of vehicle. Just tap to reverse and mount which is nice even if it limits possible options.

The new models do however seem to have figured out the messy plug and mount issues plaguing older models. There is now a mini USB located on the back in a pretty accessible location and the mount is now effectively just that. It only need be used if mounting a suction cup, clip or friction mount, or in our case none at all. No more required integrated plugs in the mounting bracket to work around. So looks like Garmin have simplified everything, likely in response to folks like us who need more versatile options than bulky integrated plug brackets, side and bottom inputs allowed. Only things left are the mini USB power/traffic plug and an SD card slot still on the bottom edge but of course not often needing access. Gone also apparently are the external speaker plug which is unfortunate for vehicle aux input solutions or in my case wanting to have run an external speaker to the empty center fill dash location. As far as I know these features are company wide and affect all currently offered models. This is just what I've learned from online research. If someone knows differently I'd be glad to hear.
The snooper looks nice but honestly I've never heard of it. I'm sure it may work great but personally I'd prefer to go with a name that I know and am sure will have the backing and support that my dumbass will likely need.

Post #14848618th Jun 2015 11:06 am
Tuglife

So yeah my only two issues are whether the larger case dimensions will allow it to actually fit into the cubby when mounted to the D4 surround and if it'll line up properly and sit back far enough before hitting bottom of the cubby box. Also whether trimming the inside of the opening will give me a nice clean flush mating to the screen with its odd angles like it already has when paired to the 5" screen. The bottom to side corners are what makes me hesitant. I believe the top edge won't require much trimming at all as its already the shorter of the four angles. On a positive this would likely change the angle of the screen to a slightly more backwards learning angle which from looks of others installs wouldn't hurt aesthetics at all.

If that makes sense at all. Lol. Effectively I'm trying to make the the surround thinner back to front with the nav screen mounted closer in towards the vehicle cabin.

EDIT: realized first pic I posted still shows the ball mount clip still installed. This is unnecessary if it's not using the ball mount. Nice clean surface.
Click image to enlarge

Post #14848678th Jun 2015 11:20 am
Staffiedrone

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

How did you get on with this Tuglife? Any success?
 D3 2005
Previously
Defender 1992 110 CSW
RRC TDi 1993
RRC 1981
s 11a LWB Safari 

Post #153275221st Sep 2015 1:57 pm
Tuglife

Well I've received my D4 surround which was tough to find over here. I haven't selected a GPS yet though as I believe I'm just going to go with the "5 model for its quick and relatively easy installation. I still believe the 6" model could be done I'm just reluctant to get into the complex mounting and trimming involved in mating the D4 surround with the 6" screen. The new models are nice and thin with no bulky bracket so it could be done I believe but I have to be honest with myself about how much work I'm willing to put in and how long it'll actually take me. I've already got a few too many half finished jobs sitting around.
I will however be tapping in an external speaker that'll be mounted in the centerfil cubby up on the dash to make the nav directions

easier to hear when the music is loud. Also took a long time to nail down precisely which speaker goes there as it looks like a rare option but it appears to be the same mid range as the doors. Should be able to to just tap into the nav's internal speaker with a bit of soldering. Plan to start this when I get home from sea.

Post #153276321st Sep 2015 2:31 pm
Staffiedrone

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Sounds great. I would be interested to see some photos as you progress. Thanks for the update and good luck.
 D3 2005
Previously
Defender 1992 110 CSW
RRC TDi 1993
RRC 1981
s 11a LWB Safari 

Post #153287321st Sep 2015 5:12 pm
Tuglife

Gotten this done finally. Went with the 5" 2589LMT. Still feel a 6" could work but as my photos show it'd require cutting off the only existing mounting points on the surround. You'd need to completely construct a new set of mounting points. More work than I'm interested in. No Meccano here in the US so I brought the whole setup into the hardware store and combined some nuts/bolts, right angle brackets, bookshelf mounting rail and some adhesive weatherstripping. Still need to drill hole and run the cord down to tapped 12v socket hidden behind dash and cut the mat to hide bottom seam. Overall I'm quite pleased though. Looks perfectly stock. I can hear the direction fine and the voice commands microphone though covered by the shroud can easily pick up my voice. At least while the music is turned down so may forgo the extra speaker. Thanks chaps!

Post #159160212th Jan 2016 3:04 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 17 of 19 <123 ... 16 171819>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >